News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1BAD68

For you guys that are truly DIY like I am, I thought I'd share this.
So I bought one of those portable tire changer things for 45 bucks at Fleet Farm for changing tires on my 4 wheeler. Harbor Freight has them for less I think. Anyway, it works perfect for full size tires too. I swapped tires onto my magnums with no issues, no scratches, no problems. Takes about 5 minutes to dismount and 5 min to mount. I bolted mine to my garage floor with recessed anchors so I can store it and bolt it down when I need it.

I took all the lead weights off the wheels and balanced with airsoft pellets, similar to Dynabeads. Being skeptical, I figured if it doesn't work, I can take them out and get the wheels balanced professionally.
I put 4 oz of pellets in each tire then seated the beads and aired up, super easy.

All installed, I took it for a test drive, all different speeds up to 85 mph and absolutely no vibrations. It works perfect and that jar was like 8 bucks, enough to do 8 wheels.

MxRacer855

Dawn1975

I'm looking for some new wheels for my car and found some camaro wheels for $100
Camaro back p265/15r70 front p225/15r70
75Charger back p235/15r70 front p225/15r70
Both are 5 bolt pattern

HPP

The whees swill not fit. Camaro bolt pattern  is 5 on 4.75", the Charger is 5 on 4.5".

Mopar Nut

Quote from: HPP on April 26, 2015, 12:42:21 PM
The whees swill not fit. Camaro bolt pattern  is 5 on 4.75", the Charger is 5 on 4.5".
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dawn1975

plum500

These are my new shoes. The lettering (rubber from Tredwear) is not glued on yet, so it's just sitting there, off center. Yeah, I know, I just like raised letters in all their glory. :) Anyway, they are 275/50/17 for out back, and 255/50/17 for front. Going on TT originals.

WHITE AND RED 69

Nice! I've been thinking about getting a set of those Tredwear letters for mine as well. Not many people like the white letters on big wheels but I do.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

MxRacer855

I agree white and red!
I love them.

If you get them, please post pics!
:2thumbs:

Lostsheep

Quote from: comet_666 on May 16, 2014, 02:58:00 PM
last one

What's your wheel width? Those look like the new vectors, so I can't tell if they are the 7's or 8.5's. Since unlike the older Vectors, AR put the width differences in the backspacing. I'm buying new tires in the next few weeks, so I'm doing some more research before I buy. Thanks!

MellowCharger

Ive read through this entire thread and there are so many wheel/tire and suspension combos not to mention BS

I've had a set of wheels boxed for 3 years because i haven't got the balls to go buy a set of tires only to find I've got it wrong so......

In your opinion with 15x10 with 5" BS fitted with BF G 295/50  rubber fit on my 68 with the rear lowered 1.5"?

68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr
67 Mustang 390GT Fastback

Dino

Quote from: MellowCharger on May 17, 2015, 02:12:21 PM
Ive read through this entire thread and there are so many wheel/tire and suspension combos not to mention BS

I've had a set of wheels boxed for 3 years because i haven't got the balls to go buy a set of tires only to find I've got it wrong so......

In your opinion with 15x10 with 5" BS fitted with BF G 295/50  rubber fit on my 68 with the rear lowered 1.5"?

Without lowering, yes.  With lowering, I don't know, but I wonder if you could handle passengers and/or extra weight in the trunk.  If it hits, it would probably be on the flat side of the outer wheel well so modifications may be needed.

Why don't you call your local tire place and ask if they have something old in that size you could try?  It's a long shot but you never know.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MellowCharger

I'm with you...inclined to think it'll catch on the outer lip
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr
67 Mustang 390GT Fastback

plum500

..new rubber on back rims today...half the reason to drive a 70's car is for raised lettering on the tires... One done. Given that there was a bit of a learning curve, I expect the next one to go much quicker.

Mopar Nut

MxRacer855

444spd

Quote from: Dino on May 17, 2015, 02:26:13 PM

Without lowering, yes.  With lowering, I don't know, but I wonder if you could handle passengers and/or extra weight in the trunk.  If it hits, it would probably be on the flat side of the outer wheel well so modifications may be needed.

Why don't you call your local tire place and ask if they have something old in that size you could try?  It's a long shot but you never know.

I have coker magnum replicas 15x 10 with 295 50 15 cooper cobra radial gt

Car is lowered with xv leaf springs shocks...had to trim pass side wheel well inner lip because it rubbed the side wall over bumps or rear passengers...driver side ok

lot depends on rear quarter situation... my car was AMD sheetmetal from full resto...lot of alignment and welding....ended up mayber 1/4 inch tighter on passenger side

XS29L9B2

hello guy this link is broken. who repar this link?

http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html

BECAUSE i search a full size rims for my daytona project thank for me and all
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Dreamcar

Quote from: 444spd on May 31, 2015, 12:52:55 PM

In your opinion with 15x10 with 5" BS fitted with BF G 295/50  rubber fit on my 68 with the rear lowered 1.5"?

Without lowering, yes.  With lowering, I don't know, but I wonder if you could handle passengers and/or extra weight in the trunk.  If it hits, it would probably be on the flat side of the outer wheel well so modifications may be needed.

Why don't you call your local tire place and ask if they have something old in that size you could try?  It's a long shot but you never know.

Car is lowered with xv leaf springs shocks...had to trim pass side wheel well inner lip because it rubbed the side wall over bumps or rear passengers...driver side ok

lot depends on rear quarter situation... my car was AMD sheetmetal from full resto...lot of alignment and welding....ended up mayber 1/4 inch tighter on passenger side

A 69 Charger parked next to a classic 911...that's like my dream garage. I'm jealous
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

444spd

Quote from: Dreamcar on June 05, 2015, 01:40:00 PM
Quote from: 444spd on May 31, 2015, 12:52:55 PM

In your opinion with 15x10 with 5" BS fitted with BF G 295/50  rubber fit on my 68 with the rear lowered 1.5"?

Without lowering, yes.  With lowering, I don't know, but I wonder if you could handle passengers and/or extra weight in the trunk.  If it hits, it would probably be on the flat side of the outer wheel well so modifications may be needed.

Why don't you call your local tire place and ask if they have something old in that size you could try?  It's a long shot but you never know.

A 69 Charger parked next to a classic 911...that's like my dream garage. I'm jealous

thanks for the compliment dream car. It's an 88 911 Turbo that i daily drive and hammer on. Picked it up cheap about 5 years ago before the values went up. Do most of the wrenching myself. Doesn't quite compare though to a 496 stroker at 6000 rpm.

Very different worlds...luv em both.

richsteele

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on June 05, 2015, 10:36:16 AM

Use this link instead:

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/wheelguide

:cheers:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: richsteele on July 01, 2015, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: XS29L9B2 on June 05, 2015, 10:36:16 AM

Use this link instead:

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/wheelguide

:cheers:

thx to the person with one post, lol...I love this link could never find it till now.

Charge_her

I went through the whole thread and learned a lot, thanks for all the info.

On my '69 Charger I'm changing from 275/60/15's to an 18x9 or 10 rear wheel. Like many I don't want to sacrifice the meaty look in the back and also want to go with a bigger wheel. Plugging in the numbers in the vexer tool (http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/wheelguide) I get ok clearances with 275/60/18 with about 5.5 BS and a +0.5 offset.

Question 1: What are my limits as far as total wheel+tire diameter? My original combo is 28" overall. If I go 18" wheel, that's 31" overall- will that still fit in the wheel well? If not, what's my limit?

Question 2: Where are you all finding 18" tires that are around 275/60 but aren't truck or SUV tires? I checked a bunch of sites without much luck. I see lots of 275/40 skinny tires...

Thanks and sorry if its already been answered in the previous 13 pages.