News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does this sound like a bad water pump??

Started by Charger72SE, July 30, 2005, 10:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

ok, I drove my 72 SE to see a buddy an hour away today, and on the way home the Temp gauge goes to max hot.  I pulled into a gas station and the overflow hose starts pouring out antifreeze after I turn the car off.  I waited a while and filled a half gallon of anti-freeze and a half gallon of water into the radiatior up to the neck.

Driving again the Temp gauge was half way for about 15 miles and then I hear a sqeeling like a bearing is going out.  Then I feel a wobble and then I hear some god-awfull noises so I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car.  Called a tow truck because I didn't want to drive her any more.  There wasn't any overlow from the radiator after refilling it.

so does this sound like a bad water pump or something more serious?  If a water pump goes bad, can it screw anything else up??

I'm going to have a buddy come over for triage, but want to hear your comments so I'm not worrying too much

thanks!!

Wakko

If you can access it safely, start the motor and put a mechanic's stethoscope to the water pump housing OR use a loooong screwdriver pressed against your ear.  You'll hear the bearings grind if it's bad.  I've never heard a water pump squeal though, maybe the bearing is locking up and the belt is squealing?  How's the alternator?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger72SE

Wakko,

I'll fire it up tomorrow and check the belts.  Are you thinking maybe the alternator siezed?

Wakko

Not siezed (it would have burned the belt off with lots of smoke) but perhaps slowing down.  Not likely, as it wouldn't have caused the initial overheat without audible squealing, but just thought I'd throw it out there.  No seeping from the pump itself?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger72SE

no antifreeze leaked at all after I refilled it -

can running the engine with a bad water pump for a short time hurt anything else?

Wakko

With the overheating, certainly.  If the bearing is worn to the point where the shaft bounces around, the impeller won't be as efficient and can cause cavitation (which I've been told is a problem with these big block waterpumps anyway).  Cavitation will inhibit water movement, so your cylinder head temps will skyrocket.   Other than that, or it completely just coming apart, I don't think there's any other possibility of damage.  I sure as heck wouldn't drive it though. :rotz:
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

Stupid question, but, you did check belt tension right?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Charger72SE on July 30, 2005, 10:55:58 PM

Driving again the Temp gauge was half way for about 15 miles and then I hear a sqeeling like a bearing is going out.  Then I feel a wobble and then I hear some god-awfull noises so I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car.
"Feeling a wobble" could in no way be associated with a water pump problem. Maybe just a "vibration up front somewhere"?
The squeal sound, maybe...but probably more like a loose belt than anything else.

I've heard cars make a groan/shudder noise (usually from the radiator area) when they overheated severely, but never a squeal. Could the Power Steering belt be loose also?

From your symptoms, it sounds like multiple problems...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

Just to make sure it's not a bad water pump bearing (funky noise), grab the two opposing fan blades & try to rock back & forth front to back...if there's more than maybe 1/8th inch movement, that could be your problem.

If there's ANY movement felt, replace that thing soon!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

Oh, and if your alternator had seized, you'd have a serious discharge showing on the guages.

Charger72SE

the belts all seem ok - maybe 1/2 inch give when I push in the middle on them.  there wasn't any wear showing on the belts either - the edges were fine.

all the gauges were good (Oil and Alt) except for the Temp where I turned off the car. 

There is about a 1/4 inch of play in the fan blades from side to side.

Yea, I guess it was a "vibration" more than a "wobble" - in 3 years I've never had any problems with the engine, so anything sounded and felt BAAAAD

I didn't want to start it up until a buddy mechanic comes over.  there also wasn't any fluid on the floor of the garage today.

thanks for all the comments - I'm really hoping for nothing serious

Ghoste

The fan blade play doesn't sound good does it?

Charger72SE

there is a bit of "clunking" sound when I wiggle the blades

Ghoste

Sounds like you have something not right there.  What did you find out?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Charger72SE on July 31, 2005, 07:10:27 PM
there is a bit of "clunking" sound when I wiggle the blades
Sounds like bad water pump shaft bearings. If you have a fan clutch that could wiggle too, so try to decide which it is.
Either way, replace the offending item very soon! It really makes for a bad day when your pump shaft breaks, sending the fan into the radiator. :'(

If you see any evidence of coolant coming from the weep hole on the bottom side of the water pump, that could have been causing the overheating by leaking out enough to make your coolant level low & overheat.
Sometimes it's hard to see the hole, because it's hidden behind the pulley.

myk

Why does a water pump leak from the weep hole anyway?  In any case, I just pulled into my driveway and was about to call it a day when I noticed a puddle of coolant gathering under the car.  After several curse words and parts removed I noticed a very fine stream of coolant jetting out of the weep hole.  I guess I was lucky...
What's everyone's favorite water pump around here?  I figure I'll buy something better than OEM while I'm at it....
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

myk

Ah to hell with it, I went with the Edelbrock Victor pump.  It's been said that a high volume thermo' is required?  If so, then good, as I bought a Mopar Performance 180 thermo'.  I wonder what's gonna' blow next...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Transmission?
Sorry, just guessing and trying to scare you at the same time.  Have faith in your Charger.

myk

LOL...Nah, nah, nah....The transmission went 8 months ago, so I'm good on that for now...
I do have a question, though.  When I replace the water pump housing, water pump and thermo' what type of sealant do I use for the parts?  The service manual doesn't mention applying any kind of sealant, although I figure that parts interacting with water/coolant some sort of sealant is necessary; those paper gaskets can't be enough...

Ghoste

I would just spray them with some of that tacky gasket adhesive myself.  Maybe a little blue rtv as long as it's used sparingly.

Chryco Psycho

Milodon is supposed to make on eof the best aftermarket water pumps