News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

The Cobo Hall display.   I know it's a repost, but you might want to see it relative to the B & W photo.

Aero426

Aftermath of Charlie Glotzbach's Bristol crash in the Charger 500.    It has been suggested that this car was rebuilt into the existing Baker #6 Daytona.  

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 21, 2014, 05:09:42 PM
Aftermath of Charlie Glotzbach's Bristol crash in the Charger 500.    It has been suggested that this car was rebuilt into the existing Baker #6 Daytona.  

And why not?  Cotton was never a guy to waste money!  When Chrysler paid him to make a show car Daytona, why not add parts to this wrecked one and call it a day?

Careful comparisons of the show car #6 to vintage photo shows it is not the car that ran Darlington, Talladaga, MIS, Daytona, Charlotte, Atlanta or any other speedway.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

odcics2

Quote from: 70Sbird on February 22, 2014, 02:25:07 PM
Here we go again...... ::)

It has been some time, ya know....   The #6 owners STILL claim the car ran over 200 during a race....   with no side glass, no less!    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ghoste

Unfortunate since the car could still be noteworthy just for what it is.

70Sbird

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2014, 09:43:21 AM
Unfortunate since the car could still be noteworthy just for what it is.

And that (to the casual observer such as me) is what makes the ads/claims frustrating. Here is a very nice car with a documented history, and a great story to tell of it's own, why try to make one up that really is not much better, and can easily be dispelled as crap?? :shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

Ghoste

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why, even if its just a couple.

Aero426

Similarly, anyone who finds an old Mopar race car with some blue paint wants it to be a Petty car.   

tracpack440

1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

tracpack440

1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

odcics2

Stock Car Racing magazine was there for the April 1970 race. Below is an excerpt from coverage
in the August, 1970 issue.

1RareBird

The fact is that Baker's 198 mph was  IN A DRAFT with Bobby Allison, which was good for an additional 4-5 mph.
By himself, Baker in the Owens #6 would have done only about 194 mph.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Ghoste

However the 200.477 was a solo pass.

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on February 26, 2014, 06:19:51 AM

Yes, it was.    Makes the 200.447 run by the Baker in the #88 impressive.
The day after the 200.447 run, they ran again in the 88 without side glass.  It went 197.5

Keep in mind for the April Talladega race, side glass was banned for the race.

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on February 26, 2014, 05:32:27 PM

The day after the 200.447 run, they ran again in the 88 without side glass.  It went 197.5

No side glass for April and a restrictor plate for the August race which slowed them down another 10 mph.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 26, 2014, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on February 26, 2014, 05:32:27 PM

No side glass for April and a restrictor plate for the August race which slowed them down another 10 mph.   

Correct!   The plate was FIRST seen in Nascar at the MIS Yankee 400 in August 1970.
The pole speed was 156 by Glotzbach. Two months prior Hamilton had the pole for the Motor State 400 at 162.

A week after the Yankee 400, they ran at Talladega.   I remember a pole speed of around 186...
No side glass, and that infernal PLATE!!   

Aero426

Real race #6 has six rivets on the door block off.   Show car has five.  

By the way, you could change the door skin because of a crash.  But unless the door handle panel was wiped out, an efficient crew man would drill out the rivets and reuse that part on the new skin.  

Mike DC

I've wondered why those aluminum plates were used over the door handle holes at all.  They could have just erased the holes entirely.  It wouldn't have looked stock but there were nonstick details all over the cars by then. 

Indygenerallee

QuoteI've wondered why those aluminum plates were used over the door handle holes at all.  They could have just erased the holes entirely.  It wouldn't have looked stock but there were nonstick details all over the cars by then.
Just easy and quick and still gives the appearance from a distance that their is a stock door handle....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Aero426

1968 was the last year that some cars ran the actual diecast chrome door handle, as a dummy bolted on the door shell.  

Ford fabricated their Talladega headlight doors and quarter panel extensions out of aluminum.  They are like works of art.   I believe that was to eliminate the chance of broken diecast parts. 

Aero426

Read it in a magazine.  It must be true.      :rofl:

The photo used in this ad was from the Daytona 500.    

The root cause of all this misinformation, is that Chrysler made a mistake in not having really good PR pics of the #88 available to the media.   The on-track pics taken of the car are with the late afternoon sun coming at the camera.    Since the purpose of the car being there was to break the record, why they (and NASCAR) did not have this figured out is a mystery to me.      Did they not have a car to run the photographer down to turn 3 to get the right shot?     :brickwall:

odcics2

tan top

Quote from: odcics2 on February 27, 2014, 04:05:24 PM
What about this?    :nana:

http://www.allpar.com/racing/NASCAR/daytona-development.html

:drool5: :bow:  looking forward to  reading & seeing the resto pictures & it finished :dance:  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just taken a few screen shots of Buddy Bakers / Cotton Owens C500  in the chargers video , think i can  can see four rivits for the door handle blanking plate   :scratchchin: :shruggy: could be my eyes though , will try to take a better picture later  !!  & four for the A pillar windshield  mouldings  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

See the DUAL ignition switches?   This is the same car that ran Daytona in 1970, along with Talladega.