News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealmoparman

70Sbird

just a few more details,
some stated before:
1970 Chicago car, 2 screws per "A" pillar shield, 5 rivets in drivers door handle cover
Current "museum" car, 2 screws per "A" pillar, 5 rivets in drivers door handle cover, similar in pattern to 1970 Chicago car
"Southern 500" pictured car: 4 screws per "A" pillar and six rivets on door handle cover.

:popcrn:

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

The famous Cobo Hall photo from the fall of 1970.

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

Maybe I am mistaken. I just googled it and it says the Cobo show is every January. My dad thinks they took the car up there in Dec (1970).

#
Cobo Arena Tickets
It is attached to Cobo Hall, which is a convention center that hosts the famous Detroit Auto Show every January. It is a 12191-seat indoor arena adjacent to ...
www.ticketluck.com › Venues Tickets - Cached -
#

chargerboy69

Quote from: therealmoparman on February 16, 2010, 06:42:40 PM

If the car was raced, and shown, raced, shown, shown, raced, whatever - the reason it would change appearances is because it was raced. And as stated, they changed the front clips for every event. Sometimes they put a nose and wing on it. Car looks different every time you see it.

I am not an expert on here like many of these guys, but I am a thinker.  But the scenario you just proposed does not seem plausible.  To be quite honest, that has to be one of your most illogical statements yet.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

70Sbird

Quote from: Aero426 on February 16, 2010, 10:07:59 PM

Doug,
Not only does this photo contain the potential answer to this car dilemma and history, but a number of important questions that have been bothering people for decades such as who built the pyramids to who shot JFK etc...
Look closely about 10 feet in front of the Daytona in Cobo hiding by the display engine.

Do you see the answer????????

I do

It's Aliens!

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

What is that orange car behind the Daytona? It ALMOST looks like a convertible with a 71 Charger front half....but it can't be.

chargerboy69

Quote from: therealmoparman on February 16, 2010, 10:27:51 PM
Maybe I am mistaken. I just googled it and it says the Cobo show is every January. My dad thinks they took the car up there in Dec (1970).

So the Cobo show was in January.  And less than a month later the car was running in the Daytona 500.  I can not imagine them doing such a thing.  The Daytona 500 is the largest NASCAR race of the season.  Instead of getting the car ready for the most important race of the year, they drag it to Detroit for a car show?   ::)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

therealmoparman

69_500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 16, 2010, 10:33:30 PM
What is that orange car behind the Daytona? It ALMOST looks like a convertible with a 71 Charger front half....but it can't be.

Does look like a 71 charger behind the Daytona, but then again if it was in the fall of 1970 the 71 model's would have been out. Also what years was the Diamante on display isn't it at the rear end of the #6 car?

therealmoparman

Mopurr

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 16, 2010, 10:33:30 PM

It appears to be a 71 Charger with a black vinyl top.....if this picture is from the fall of 70 then the 71 models would have come out in Sept. and a fall 70 show would have 71 models there correct????

Well  Danny you were posting as I was typing.......

therealmoparman

69_500

What were the dates for all of the shows in 1970 anyone know? Where is Steven Juliano when you need him to chime in with his exhaustive stack of vintage auto show photo's and information? I'm sure he probably has a ticket stub from the events that are in question.

therealmoparman

Redbird

I believe Doug's picture is from Detroit November or December of 1970, the new year introduction of the '71 models. Take it or leave it-there were 4 big shows for car introductions. Detroit was the first big one of the season, Chicago next then New York (I don't know how L.A. fit in). Detroit-Motor City gets 1st big show of the season, I believe it is always Nov/Dec. Detroit happened in the November/December time frame. The 1970 model year introduction at Detroit is documented in the December Chrysler-Plymouth Times of December 1969. I believe the dates I previously posted for Chicago are correct, the 1970 model year was shown in Chicago Feb. of 1970. The 1971 Model year was shown in Chicago February of 1971. I have the Official Program for the 1970 New York show April 4-12, 1970.

New car introduction was mid-September of the preceding year-i.e. 1970 model came out in mid-September 1969

Detroit-big introduction. Chicago-next-big sales show. New York followed..

It appears to me we can now place a/the Owens/Baker Daytona at 3 shows.

It seems to me the car is first shown with 1970 model cars in Chicago in February 21-March 1 1970 if the multiple pictures posted are Chicago, which the evidence suggests they are. With the surrounding 1970 model cars it is certainly while the 1970 models were the new-new cars.
We next see the car in Detroit Nov./Dec. 1970 in Detroit.
We again see the car in Chicago at McCormick Place Feb. 20-28 1971.

The Owens/Baker Daytona next to the 1970 model year cars suggests sometime in the Winter/Spring of 1970 to me. Maybe Feb. 1970?

therealmoparman

Redbird

Since the picture Doug has posted says "1970 Detroit", I believe it is reasonable to say it is December 1970, with the surrounding 1971 cars. If Cobo was January 1971, the Baker/Owens car is still shown at 3 separate shows and it does not change the time line.

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on February 16, 2010, 10:29:51 PM

The Detroit show (photo above) opened on November 21, 1970 and ran for 9 days.   Autoweek references the new Dodge Diamante (shown behind the Daytona) in its coverage.

therealmoparman

Redbird

Walter Miller has a brochure for sale on e-bay for the 44-th National Auto Show at Cobo Hall Detroit October 20-28, 1962 featuring the 1963 model year cars.

1971 model year cars get introduced in the Fall of 1970.

Redbird

The part that no one has explained is how the Owens/Baker Daytona is next to the 1970 model year cars at the 1970 car show with the pink challenger.

If it was Chicago Feb. 1970, the Daytona 500 was taking place at the same time. The only way I know a single car can be 2 places at the same time is it was on "Star Trek".

therealmoparman

therealmoparman