News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 5-speed manual

Started by 375instroke, November 11, 2009, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

3000-5000 for a gearbox?

Wow I wish I lived there... last gearbox price I got was 13 000 dollars.

You all complaining about 5k for an 800hp trans?

It sure hell beats 13 000!

suntech

G-man where do you live?? Was it a Quaiffe box you got the 13 K quote on??
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

G-man

It was a sequential 6 speed box rated to 850 hp (sequential = not H pattern... saves a lot of time in shifting gears and loses less HP to run than a H also...)

Maybe thats why...

But to do a Dodge Viper 6 speed conversion... thats around the 10k mark also.

Australia... the exchange rate is pretty much the same. Basicaly if its 13k... including shipping it would be a 10-11k box.

i understand Bull totally... but there is something that didnt make sense....

Bull, the average Joe cant buy this box... but the average Joe definately can not afford 800 hp + dana 60 + breaks + reinforcement to make that power safe/useable either.

So the average joe has no need for this box at 5000. THe person whos  got $$$ for 800 hp and all the above neccessities to make it safe and useable definately has 5000 if not more for a gearbox.

Performance cars cost. Average guy cant have performance, average guy wont look at that box. (just being real here)  :shruggy:

If there is anything that is up marked stupidly... its a HEMI. Its just an engine for crying out loud, just casue u got "hemi" words on it and 'history' of hemi winning 'races' has made it cost 4 times more than a 440 yet the material used to make the motor costs the same as a 440.

THAT if anything is retarded.

Troy

Just to add some perspective...

The new TCI 6-speed automatic (up to 850 hp) has a list price of $6,064.35. It fits Mopar, Ford, and, of course, GM.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

200MPH

anything new on either transmission ? :shruggy:
Charger

studio57

Quote from: Troy on November 21, 2009, 11:45:05 AM
Just to add some perspective...

The new TCI 6-speed automatic (up to 850 hp) has a list price of $6,064.35. It fits Mopar, Ford, and, of course, GM.

Troy

that is interesting option as well, does it need body work? i try to find out more but i think no one yet has try to fit it on mopar. did send some question about it to Tci..
572 Aluminum Hemi + 6speed autom. 1968 Charger XV-motorsports Level II suspension.

ITSA426

I'm running a Passon OD four speed in one of my cars and it was absolutely a bolt up installation.  Looks pretty stock.  I'm pleased with it, but it was a little pricey.  I'm considering another, but this bolt in five speed excites me. 

I've dealt with Kiesler before and can't say anything at all good about him.

I'll wait to see what Jamie comes out with.  If I can't afford it I just won't buy it, but I prefer to buy American and from somebody that's available to answer my questions and back up the product.

studio57

did get this rebly from the Passion
It is coming along.  we expect to be ready by Spring.  Price is still pending.

i think i will order the TCI 6speed  :2thumbs:
572 Aluminum Hemi + 6speed autom. 1968 Charger XV-motorsports Level II suspension.

Charger-Bodie

I will be running my Hemi 4 gear until the Passon unit comes out. When it does I will be getting one as soon as the cash flow allows.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

suntech

I dont need anything before next year, so i will will wait for Passon and hear how they are, or go with a D&D or Rockland T 56 :cheers:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

studio57

Quote from: suntech on October 19, 2010, 06:21:54 PM
Rockland T 56 :cheers:

that company has nice vibe on the name  :2thumbs: i have try to find out the price and part number for the TCI 6X and here are the information for TCI:

kit with the outlaw shifter with the buttons use part number 271601P28 $6616.20 .
If you would like it with the paddle shifter use part number 271601P29 $6840.49.
The converter is a 242948 $967.07 flash stall will be around 2800rpm

so prepair to have near 8K to have it on your yard  :scratchchin:

375instroke

Two years later, and still nothing from Passion or McLeod that I can find.

Troy

Passon has started assembling their pre-orders as far as I know.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

375instroke

Chatt69chgr

I've been waiting for two years for this thing to be made available.  It always seems like it is 3-6 months out.  This spring it was this summer.  This summer it was this fall.  Now it's starting to look like it's now next spring.  I'm starting to wonder if it will ever be available. 

The last big topic of discussion was parts availability.  First you would have to send the transmission back for any repair.  No parts to be available.  Then, after a firestorm of protest, parts are now going to be available.  No price list as yet.  I asked for a general ball park idea of what a simple rebuild kit might be.  That would include ball bearings, gaskets, synchro rings, etc.  I have never got an answer.  It seems that one of the big holdups was suppposedly the problem of getting ball bearings.  This got me to thinking that if I bought one of these I would want to go ahead and buy a rebuild kit (with ball bearings) so I wouldn't be in a position of having the thing out of service for a year or so waiting on another shipment of ball bearing from where ever they come from---that is, if you could get them at all.  I wanted to get an idea of what such a kit might cost.  I think the rebuild kit for the standard A833 is something like a couple of hundred dollars of so.  So I asked for a ballpark price.  $400?  $600?  $1000?  Just an idea.  But it would be nice to see what the other parts might cost too.  What is a input shaft?  Cluster gear? 

One thing that really worries me is:  If the fiscal cliff occurs at the end of this year, will that be the end of the development of this transmission?

In any case, I don't need one yet since it will be a while until my car get to that point in it's restoration so I'll continue to follow the development of this part with interest. 

375instroke

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 12, 2009, 12:36:30 PM
Passon's 18 spline OD 4-speed itself is $3000 - I can imagine their 5-speed will be around $4500 - $5500

Quote from: Cooter on November 12, 2009, 12:58:36 PM
$5000.00 For one more gear......Hmmmmmm...Lemme think on it...NOPE!

I see 18-spline 4-speed kits for $4000 in the Mopar mags.  That puts it at $500 to $1,500 for one more gear, not $4,500 to $5,500.  That's if it ever materializes.