News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 5-speed manual

Started by 375instroke, November 11, 2009, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mally69

very cool i want to know a price  :popcrn:

Rubberduck

´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Tom Q

It will not fit in the tunnel without modification....however I am not going to explain why much further.

It should be very obvious to some one of reasonable intelligence by examining a factory 833 trans in an E body or a 68-70 B body and see that there is no room  above the trans to fit the new hardware...shades of snakes in tennessee

oldschool

it's also made in china......if you hold out,passon performance is in the middle of making a 5 speed of there own.it is due out sometime in the spring.it is suposed to be a direct bolt in,and made in the usa. :2thumbs:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

LeadfootBob

800 foot pounds?! Gimme dat!
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

200MPH

looks interesting,but you say Passon is building a 5 speed ??  spill it! ;)
Charger

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

oldschool

this is from jamie at passion performance.

Well,
I was not going to say anything just yet, BUT I feel that in light of the recent buzz about the McLeod trans, I guess it won't hurt.

For a couple years now, we have been working on a NEW 5 Speed trans for Chrysler cars. We were not aware that McLeod was also doing it.

This is a clean sheet project. In other words, we are building this from the ground up. Due to our extensive experience with the cars that it must fit into, our individual designs that we will be offering will make installation easy. In fact, we feel that it will be something that the average guy can put in their car in just a few hours.

This unit will be a BOLT IN!!!!!!! No monkey business with driveline angles, notching torsion bar crossmembers, redrilling bellhouisngs, changing clutches. You will retain your ORIGINAL shifter handle in the ORIGINAL location. The unit will look like it came from the factory in the car. It will be a HURST style shifter arrangement with external linkage, just like the design of shifter that these great cars left the factory with.

There will be an A Body trans
There will be a B Body trans ('63- '69)
There will be a'70 - UP B/E Body trans.

You will use your ORIGINAL driveshaft and yoke
You will use your ORIGINAL transmission crossmember and trans mount
You will use your ORIGINAL bellhousing
You will use your ORIGINAL flywheel,
You will use your ORIGINAL clutch and throwout bearing (18 spline only)

The unit WILL fit under the floor pan with no modifications.

Due to the simplicity here, it WILL be as easy as changing the trans. Truly an afternoon job.

As for cost... I can tell you this, it will not be $2300.00, HOWEVER, I feel that the price will be fair considering that the unit is MADE for the car. Versus taking an existing trans and trying to shoehorn it in and not cut the car as other manufacturers have tried in the past.

To accomplish the project, we have drawn on the years of gear cutting experience from our partner GFI. This is the organization that we have been working with our very successful Hemi OD project. They have a brand new CNC gear cutting facility that WE will be manufacturing the units.in.

And now for the BEST part.......

IT IS MANUFACTURED IN THE USA!

There will be more to come....

--------------------
Passon Performance
309 Turkey Path
Sugarloaf, PA 18249
(570) 401 8949
www.passonperformance.com
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

oldschool

some more info....

O.K.,
I FINALLY got a minute here.

First I would like to say thank you for all the encouragement. This is definitely the largest thing that we have ever undertaken. However, it seems to be coming together nicely.

I have three gear ratio options. The difference is the 5th gear ratio.

Option#1
1st 2.64
2nd 1.92
3rd 1.40
4th 1.00
5th .75

Option #2
1st 2.64
2nd 1.92
3rd 1.40
4th 1.00
5th .71

Option #3
1st 2.64
2nd 1.92
3rd 1.40
4th 1.00
5th .66

We are possibly considering a different 1st gear ratio as well, but it is likely that we necessitate changing 2nd and 3rd as well to accomodate. I am not sure about that yet.

So, can everyone that is interested, give me some feedback on these ratios. I feel that we are prepared to make two ratios.
Thanks,
Jamie

--------------------
Passon Performance
309 Turkey Path
Sugarloaf, PA 18249
(570) 401 8949
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

200MPH

:popcrn: looking forward to this Subscribing!
Charger

Hemidog

:popcrn:

So I guess auto cars still need the 4-speed hump?

suntech

Talked to Jamie there just now, and gotta idmit that this sounds tempting.  :2thumbs: I have had my mind set on a 6 speed for a long time now, but thinking and calculating, this will be nice. With my 3.25 rear, and a redline on, lets say 6000, i would have app 1600 rpm´s between the gears, through all gears, with option # 2 ( .71 on 5th).
Would need the 4 speed hump in the tunnel, but that should be it!
Jamie says that they are buildt to hold 800+ hp / 800+ footpounds of torque  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Sounds like a very nice "big cube" gearcase  :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

mally69

Quote from: oldschool on November 11, 2009, 08:44:15 AM
it's also made in china......if you hold out,passon performance is in the middle of making a 5 speed of there own.it is due out sometime in the spring.it is suposed to be a direct bolt in,and made in the usa. :2thumbs:

ill wait for this one, sounds to be better , i only hope it will handle the a stroker.

suntech

Quotei only hope it will handle the a stroker.

See post above :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

mally69

Quote from: suntech on November 11, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
Quotei only hope it will handle the a stroker.

See post above :2thumbs:

:slap:   musta scanned over that one sorry fella.   does sound like its gonna be a very nice tranny now this has got me thinking about scratching the auto,

bull

I assume when he says it will not be $2,300 he's not saying it will be less than...

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: bull on November 11, 2009, 08:05:50 PM
I assume when he says it will not be $2,300 he's not saying it will be less than...

I would assume a lot more than $2300...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mally69

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 11, 2009, 08:24:48 PM
Quote from: bull on November 11, 2009, 08:05:50 PM

I would assume a lot more than $2300...    

:iagree:  from the sounds of it, its gonna be an expensive upgrade. but what can you expect from a basically direct bolt in upgrade that, that can handle that much power .  if its any over 3k ill stick with my auto.

Tom Q

I have volunteered my E body to be a test vehicle, I can't wait...

suntech

Remember that a manual gearbox made to hold 800+ hp will not be  "thrown at you" for nickles and dimes!! The other options are T-56 from D&D performance or Rockland Standard Gear, at app 6K, or a Quaiffe, at app 10-12 K!! :Twocents:

Cooter

Or, my good 'ol Stand by....The Brutal A833 I've been pounding on for years...And it cost me $650.00
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

Passon's 18 spline OD 4-speed itself is $3000 - I can imagine their 5-speed will be around $4500 - $5500
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip