News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig gets a new engine !

Started by firefighter3931, November 23, 2009, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Very nice numbers, should be a beast on the street  :coolgleamA:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

The70RT

Phenomenal build, your at or almost at cup car power on pump gas  :o  .... :2thumbs: Just think if it was in an A body  :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FLG

Ron,

AWESOME!!!! I cant wait to see the black pig race with the new engine.

Mefirst

Quote from: greenpigs on November 23, 2009, 04:50:47 PM
So what does your little black book say the 705HP will do for the pig? I think that is about a 9.90 ET if I remember right for 4100lbs. :eek2:

I predict Rons "Pig" will run in the mid 10 sec IF he can get the rear tires to hook...

/Tom

Musicman

Quote from: TexasStroker on November 24, 2009, 12:32:55 AM
Very nice numbers, should be a beast on the street  :coolgleamA:

I think it qualifies as a beast pretty much anywhere you take it  :smilielol:

Think of all those poor little rice rockets out there on the streets, with their scoops and spoilers and nitrous injection, shaking and quivering in fear as the black beast of the north descends upon them. With massive torque, it grinds their bones under the rear tires until all that is left is a wake of discarded frenzy. :lol:

firefighter3931

Quote from: suntech on November 23, 2009, 10:26:57 AM
Nice!!
Just curious!! Why did you go with an iron block, when you went with a new one anyway??

Cost mainly....the aluminum block is allmost double by the time all the machinework is factored in. This isn't a serious racecar so i didn't see the need to spend an extra 3k on an aluminum block....that money went towards the top end package (Indy Heads) because that's where the real power is made.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Musicman on November 23, 2009, 02:24:54 PM
Hey, isn't this the same guy who's been riding me all year for building a torque monster that puts the power on the street :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Look who's bustin my chops.....ha ha !  :lol:

Mike, the reality is that these Cars are heavy and need lots of torque to launch effectively. The big stroke just allows you to make power at a reasonable rpm level so you don't have to beat it to death. Most guys get caught up in the horsepower number and loose sight of the big picture. Torque rules....end of story.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2009, 07:42:51 AM
Look who's bustin my chops.....ha ha !  :lol:

Mike, the reality is that these Cars are heavy and need lots of torque to launch effectively. The big stroke just allows you to make power at a reasonable rpm level so you don't have to beat it to death. Most guys get caught up in the horsepower number and loose sight of the big picture. Torque rules....end of story.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

I couldn't have said it better myself  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 23, 2009, 10:04:30 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on November 23, 2009, 09:53:15 AM
Very nice Ron!!  That should spin the tires!!!  Are you going to give away the old engine now??   Bob

Bob, the intention is NOT to spin the tires   :nana:   :lol:  evan though it might be possible with the torque
numbers this engine is putting out   :yesnod: :yesnod: 

Ron, when you said the next build will be a 572, I did not know you were going to get it done this fast, dude
you made my head spin, good job. So, when does it get slipped into the pig? your probably are doing that right
now, silly me..............

Dan

Hey Dan, thanks ! This build has been in the works for some time....it just came together in the last few weeks when things slowed down at Dwayne's shop. Lots of upgrades need to be made before this engine slides between the fenders so it'll be spring before the BP hits the street/strip with newfound power.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: R2 on November 23, 2009, 07:15:09 PM
NICE............... :cheers:

I know somebody that is coming after ya....lol ( nice job Ron ) :2thumbs: ;D

Ahhhh....Mr Clean is gonna give the Black Pig a nice washdown huh ?  :D

It'll be a blast when we line them up dude. Maybe this time i won't be looking at your tail lights all the way down the track !  :nana:

I'm sure with Dwayne doing the build and tune on your new bullit it will kick some serious azz.....i still might be seeing some Mr Clean rear bumperz  :lol:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on November 23, 2009, 10:13:25 PM
   Ron, could you take some pics of your car and putting the engine in after?   thanks, Nate

Will do Nate  :yesnod:

Quote from: FLG on November 24, 2009, 12:57:11 AM
Ron,

AWESOME!!!! I cant wait to see the black pig race with the new engine.

Thanks Frank ! Should be lots of fun next season !  :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: The70RT on November 24, 2009, 12:39:42 AM
Phenomenal build, your at or almost at cup car power on pump gas  :o  .... :2thumbs: Just think if it was in an A body  :scratchchin:

I know...an a-body would fly with this engine !  :drool5:

Quote from: Blown70 on November 24, 2009, 12:24:37 AM
:drool5:  WHooly mother of...  :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:

I missed this thread,  WOW RON, NICE very NICE  :drool5:

Is this giving you any ideas Tom ?  :icon_smile_big:

Your heads flow as well as mine !  ;)

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on November 23, 2009, 11:50:28 PM
Awesome numbers Ron!

Are you planning on putting  more cage in the car?

Thanks ! No plans for more cage at this point...the 8pt bar will have to do. I'm currently legal to 10.0 so we'll see how fast it goes.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: bill440rt on November 23, 2009, 10:49:29 PM
S-s-s-s-ssssseven-hundred twenty+ lbs of torque on pump gas?? Oof! I'm just saking thinking about it.
Damn, Ron! That's awesome!!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Thanks Bill....it's a lot of torque...should be fun trying to get all that power to the ground. There's no chance it'll hook on the street...but with some Caltraacs and the MT Drag Radials I should be fine at the track.  ;D

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Musicman on November 24, 2009, 07:00:08 AM
Think of all those poor little rice rockets out there on the streets, with their scoops and spoilers and nitrous injection, shaking and quivering in fear as the black beast of the north descends upon them. With massive torque, it's grinds their bones under the rear tires until all that is left is a wake of discarded frenzy. :lol:

OMG...that is freakin hilarious  :smilielol:  :bow:

Mike, you missed your calling....you should be a writer for some car magazine.  ;D

Ron

Charger-Bodie

Looks like an awesome setup Ron!  Have fun with it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Mine already starts to feel slow if I see those numbers and I havn't even started it yet. :eek2: Congrats Ron. :cheers:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

oldschool

congrats on your motor ron! that is alot of torque for a pump gas motor.wait until you feel that broad,long torque.i think that is the best thing about theese big motors,especialy with our heavy cars.my experence with a high,broad torque motor is,it does'nt matter when you hit the gas or what gear you are in,it makes power.you will notice also that it NEVER stops pulling.it pulls as hard in low gears as it does in the higher gears.thats where i win most of my races,on the top end.the other car runs out,but mine keeps pulling.

your car should be VERY streetable.i bet it will be very reliable too.you just dont have to work it hard to make the power. with a little more cam,i bet there is an easy 75 plus more horse power.what i've seen with mine is,when you give it more of what it wants,it really responds.are you going to chassis dyno it?i think the exhaust and pipes in the car changes the AFR.when i did mine,i picked up another 25 hp.all i did was go down one jet size at all corners,and it responded.

my dyno for my 500" did not go as well.it droped an exhaust valve.messed up the head,tore up the bore,broke a hole in the piston  :rotz:.i dont know what happend.it,s at the shop now being fixed. new pistons,resleeve block,new valves,new pushrods,ect....congrats again on your build,your going to love it.  :2thumbs:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

oldschool

ron, i see your going to use the 337 manifold.that is what i've been using also.it sure is nice to close the stock hood.i see your not giving up much to use it ,thats awesome.can you post the curves when you get a chance? i would really like to see the under the curve profiles.again, awesome build  :drool5:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Musicman

So Ron, have you given any thought to a possible gear change now that you have all of this torque to play with?  :popcrn:

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldschool on November 24, 2009, 05:46:20 PM
ron, i see your going to use the 337 manifold.that is what i've been using also.it sure is nice to close the stock hood.i see your not giving up much to use it ,thats awesome.can you post the curves when you get a chance? i would really like to see the under the curve profiles.again, awesome build  :drool5:

Thanks Brian  :2thumbs:

The first sheet i posted on this thread is the 337 with a 1in spacer and quickfuel 1050 carb. Is there something else you want to see ?

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Musicman on November 24, 2009, 06:18:15 PM
So Ron, have you given any thought to a possible gear change now that you have all of this torque to play with?  :popcrn:

Mike, the BP has a 4.10 gearset but i also run a tall 29.5in tire. I'm gonna try that combination and see how it runs....most likely i'll keep it but we'll see !

Ron

oldschool

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2009, 10:38:33 PM

Thanks Brian  :2thumbs:

The first sheet i posted on this thread is the 337 with a 1in spacer and quickfuel 1050 carb. Is there something else you want to see ?

Ron
was wondering about the dualplane and 337 dyno sheets.do you have the sheets with the curves on them? how about the averages between the two? i use a 4.10 dana with mine also,with a 28" tire.can smoke the tires at 60 miles per hour! :icon_smile_big:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

oldschool

ron, did you see my post on page 2 about my dyno disaster? i'm still bummed about it  :'(
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldschool on November 24, 2009, 05:34:04 PM
my dyno for my 500" did not go as well.it droped an exhaust valve.messed up the head,tore up the bore,broke a hole in the piston  :rotz:.i dont know what happend.it,s at the shop now being fixed. new pistons,resleeve block,new valves,new pushrods,ect....congrats again on your build,your going to love it.  :2thumbs:

Ah Crap....sorry to hear that Brian !  :P Was this an aftermarket block ? Did the valvelock fail or pull through the retainer ? Sucks either way !  

Quote from: oldschool on November 24, 2009, 11:12:25 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2009, 10:38:33 PM
ron, i see your going to use the 337 manifold.that is what i've been using also.it sure is nice to close the stock hood.i see your not giving up much to use it ,thats awesome.can you post the curves when you get a chance? i would really like to see the under the curve profiles.again, awesome build  :drool5:

Thanks Brian  :2thumbs:

Ron

was wondering about the dualplane and 337 dyno sheets.do you have the sheets with the curves on them? how about the averages between the two? i use a 4.10 dana with mine also,with a 28" tire.can smoke the tires at 60 miles per hour! :icon_smile_big:

Brian, I don't have the ICH dual plane sheets yet. I'll post them up when Dwayne sends them out. He liked the 337 better and felt it had stronger throttle response. The runners on the Indy DP are larger so there's less velocity which most likely accounts for the difference in the way they perform when compared to each other.  :scratchchin:

Ron

BBKNARF

I bet you have the itch Ron to take it to the track, excellent combo  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

oldschool

ron, it is a stock block.found out today,not enough piston to valve clearence.all the exhaust valves hit.the intakes were ok.the machine shop accepted the blame.i'm buying all parts and they do the rest.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldschool on November 25, 2009, 12:34:34 PM
ron, it is a stock block.found out today,not enough piston to valve clearence.all the exhaust valves hit.the intakes were ok.the machine shop accepted the blame.i'm buying all parts and they do the rest.

Geez.....i'm going to guess that the assembly guy didn't measure the PV clearance ? If i remember correctly you were upgrading to a 1.7 rocker, correct ?

If that's the case then they should be responsible. Hopefully you have enough valvespring to keep things stable. The 1.7 rocker ratio will require some type of spring upgrade or it'll go into valve float.  :Twocents:

I guess the PV check will determine if it's a total lift issue or not. If there is more than .100 PV clearance the problem might lie elsewhere (not enough valvespring)

I'll be interested to hear the final outcome.  :scratchchin:  Keep your head up buddy !  :pity:

Ron