News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig gets a new engine !

Started by firefighter3931, November 23, 2009, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

I dont know how i missed this, but congrats on your new engine, I love it  :cheers: . Cant wait to see the time slips. someday ill have mine finished,  ill try to keep up with the big pigs  :nana:

Purple440

Ron, I noticed your new profile pic just now and hurried over here...I completely missed this thread.  Wow, my first thought after seeing your new pic was "nice looking engine!", then I saw the dyno sheet.. :drool5:  So how much were the wheelie bars?  ;)

Nice work buddy!!  I didn't see the cam specs...mind sharing?

- Doug

Musicman

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Musicman on January 01, 2010, 09:37:12 AM
She sure does look purdy there Ron :2thumbs:

Make sure to get a 440 source water pump housing for that unit!

Looks great Ron,you should be having lots of fun next year. (well this year!)
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Thanks guys....it sure looks nice sitting there on the stand....should look even better between the fenders of the BP  :coolgleamA:

We went with the Charlies pan for better oil control....pressure was dropping on the dyno as the engine was loaded and revved up. Not taking any chances with oil starvation.  ;)

Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2009, 11:59:28 PM
I've likely missed it somewhere Ron, but what are you doing with the bullet that is in the black Pig now? (and no I'm not offering to buy, just asking)

Shawn, the 446 will find it's way into my 70 R/T with a milder cam and most likely a 4spd. Gonna keep the 3.23's out back and make it a cruiser.   :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: Purple440 on December 31, 2009, 06:11:16 PM
Ron, I noticed your new profile pic just now and hurried over here...I completely missed this thread.  Wow, my first thought after seeing your new pic was "nice looking engine!", then I saw the dyno sheet.. :drool5:  So how much were the wheelie bars?  ;)

Nice work buddy!!  I didn't see the cam specs...mind sharing?

- Doug

No wheelie bars needed Doug....the BP is too nose heavy to worry about that.  :lol: The cam is a custom solid roller that Dwayne specced for this build ; 266/272@.050 & .660 lift with 1.5 rockers

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 01, 2010, 11:03:21 AM
Quote from: Musicman on January 01, 2010, 09:37:12 AM
She sure does look purdy there Ron :2thumbs:

Make sure to get a 440 source water pump housing for that unit!

Looks great Ron,you should be having lots of fun next year. (well this year!)

No worries....that's the Mancini pump & housing that was purchased at Monster Mopar. I did the finger check to make sure the ports in that housing had lots of room to flow coolant....the Mancini sales rep laughed and figured i was molesting his WP housing....I told him what i was doing and why. We both had a good chuckle  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

Ron :cheers:

Engine looks :2thumbs:

One thing though, I see you pre cut and installed the engine oil lines, your gonna hate yourself for doing that. I also have an external oil system on my Hemi and I cut and mounted the oil lines when the engine was bolted to the enginestand.. I had to pull the Hemi out 2 times before I found the best way to mount the oil lines, everything you can and cant imagine will interfere, and I dont even use the stock engine mounts...

Also, the AN bulkhead adaptor fittings in the oil pan WILL drive you insane because how and what ever you do, they WILL start to leak oil :brickwall:

/Tom

greenpigs

Quote from: Mefirst on January 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM

Also, the AN bulkhead adaptor fittings in the oil pan WILL drive you insane because how and what ever you do, they WILL start leak oil :brickwall:

/Tom

I think it is more of, no matter what YOU did they will leak! Didn't your boyfriend tighten the fittings up enough? :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Mefirst

Quote from: greenpigs on January 02, 2010, 04:02:10 PM
I think it is more of, no matter what YOU did they will leak! Didn't your boyfriend tighten the fittings up enough? :icon_smile_big:

Sorry Pigs, again you speak of things you do not understand or know nothing about.. but being the nice guy I am, Ill explane it to you...

-Those fittings are a P.I.A. if YOU tighten those fittings just a micro fraction to tight, you ll F...k up the Teflon washers and the result is Exxon Valdez... Also the problem is figuring out the hose end connector angle for the hoses running to the oilpump, this is the second time YOU WILL F...k up the adaptor fitting teflon washers, when you screw the 90* hose ends to the bulkhead adaptor fitting and tighten it..

Also you CAN NOT tighten the bulkhead adaptor any more once you bolted the oilpan to the engine because...

A. Oil pan is bolted to the engine block
B. You filled the engine with oil
C. The steering link goes through the oilpan, so even if the engine doesn't have oil in it, you ll have to take appart the steering to be able to drop the oilpan..

Love and Kisses...

/Tom

oldschool

"Also, the AN bulkhead adaptor fittings in the oil pan WILL drive you insane because how and what ever you do, they WILL start leak oil :brickwall:"

i must just be very lucky.on four cars,some over 10-15 years since rebuild,i have never had an external oil line or fitting leak.i dont even use a teflon washer,i use a steel one......
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Mefirst

Quote from: oldschool on January 03, 2010, 09:09:59 AM
i must just be very lucky.on four cars,some over 10-15 years since rebuild,i have never had an external oil line or fitting leak.i dont even use a teflon washer,i use a steel one......

If you say so I belive you, I just dont understand how you did it :shruggy: Ive tried every, and I do mean every single trick to get a good seal.. just cant get it to seal :brickwall:

/Tom

Musicman

I have no use for Teflon washers either, at least not for sealing applications... I prefer the use of steel "water tight" washers myself.

Mefirst

Quote from: Musicman on January 03, 2010, 10:27:20 AM
I have no use for Teflon washers either, at least not for sealing applications... I prefer the use of steel "water tight" washers myself.

Weird part is that the bulkhead adaptor fittings in my fuel cell dont leak at al, same teflon washers, no headaches what so ever... I just cant get it into my head why I cant get the stupid oil pan fittings to seal, principal is the same after al...

Sorry to high jack your thread Ron....

/Tom

firefighter3931

Tom ; If you're having leak problems on your oilpan order a set of the DMI washers....these work fantastic. See link below and scroll to the bottom of the page for the part number  :scope:

http://www.dotymi.com/Automotive_Home.htm

As for the oil pump fittings ; the Milodon cover i'm using is designed for stock motor mounts. Here's a pic with the driver side mount bolted up and a header. It will bolt into the K-frame no problemo  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

:cheers: Ron

You are using the "same" Milodon cover Im using, the pump itself is a Melling HV piece.

This is the first version of how I did the oil lines, did not work at al.. (Sorry about the bad picture quality)

Thanks for the link, I will have to adress the oilpan bulkhead adaptor leakage when I pull the engine out. Right now I just band aided the problem, I have rolled some oil absorbing mat around the bulkhead adaptors...

/Tom

69bronzeT5

Badass Ron....simply badass. Not only does the engine play the part but it also looks the part too :drool5: I'm sending you a PM with a couple of engine questions. :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on January 04, 2010, 02:14:17 AM

You are using the "same" Milodon cover Im using, the pump itself is a Melling HV piece.

This is the first version of how I did the oil lines, did not work at al.. (Sorry about the bad picture quality)

Thanks for the link, I will have to adress the oilpan bulkhead adaptor leakage when I pull the engine out. Right now I just band aided the problem, I have rolled some oil absorbing mat around the bulkhead adaptors...

/Tom

Tom ; Milodon makes 2 different covers....one for motor mounts and one for engine plate. Mine is for motor mounts and yours is for the plate/elephant ears. The difference is where the oil feed line enters the plate....yours is in the rear while mine enters the side.  :yesnod:

I'm guessing you allready went with a plate so it's a non issue for you at this point ?  :scratchchin:

For sure get the DMI washer kit for the AN lines....these are a popular item with all the race guys who run an external line system. The kit was ~ $12 if i remember correctly. I also used their billet fuel pump block off plate as well....nice piece !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Mefirst

-Yes, the oil pump cover I use is the one for motorplate/elephant ears..

...Im gonna order the washer kit from DMI. I also like their low mount alternator bracket. Im probably gonna order both :2thumbs:

/Tom

kamkuda

The new bullet is looking good  :2thumbs:
Any concern of riping the mounts off the block?

BLAM

RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell