News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thinking about drivetrain swap to 6.1, kessler a-41, tubular K-member, brakes

Started by lucaslaw, November 29, 2009, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucaslaw

I still have the 1970 Superbird that apparently was meant to stay with me, tore the thing apart and found part of a buildsheet inside front seatback!

Started finishing out the bodywork and soon it will go to paint, thinking medium gloss black with black Simmons 3 piece 5 spoke 16x9 wheels (because I already have them, and I'd just need to order the right bolt pattern center section from Australia), It will look EVIL :flame:.  My brother and I are kicking around the idea of pulling the original (#s matching) drivetrain (440-4-auto) and swapping in a modern k member, big brakes, 6.1 hemi, and that new kessler gm tranny mod (since the Chrysler tranny is too big and I don't want to alter the car permanently).

So, I sourced a 6.1 with 30k miles out of wreck, $3100 with computer and all (which I'll sell and carb it)
I looked at alterktions (sp) custom k member, lots of $$$, does anyone make a similar, but cheaper alternative.  Otherwise I may just buy a used b body K, cut as needed and add some better brakes.

Keisler A-41 (Gm 4L60E) conversion-the big Chrysler overdrive will only fit with tunnel modifications, but I want to be able to return the car to original later on.
I'll need to figure out to how add a/c.  I'm thinking the original 6.1 compressor with a aftermarket condenser, airbox.

I'll also need to make the new high pressure power steering pump play nice with the old rack, or put a gm one on.

I figure I'm looking at about 10k in parts and we can do the swap ourselves.

Seal and crate the original parts for later..

I think it will be bad a$$.

Your thoughts?

LL

moparstuart

why do all this to a real bird ?   why not build a clone to modify ?  :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nakita7

Quote from: moparstuart on November 29, 2009, 04:53:29 PM
why do all this to a real bird ?   why not build a clone to modify ?  :shruggy:

Exactly my thoughts. You're on a Wing car site where guys are painstakingly trying to restore original cars, and hunt down original parts. Buy/build a clone and go nuts. Sell the real one, do the clone and you might even have $$ left over? Sorry, I like them the way Chrysler built them the first time...

lucaslaw

I said I'm thinking about it, not gonna do it, just kicking around the idea, I'd only do it if I could return it to original later on.

LL

Rolling_Thunder

I would get a 6.1 with a 727 with a Gv unit...   less intrusive to the floor pan.  The 6.1 hemi requires no cutting of the car...    the A/C system can be done with the 6.1 hemi compressor. Making the pump work with the ford rack only requires a different outlet fitting.

Check out my thread as I am doing a 6.1 hemi swap in a 68 Charger - might give you some ideas ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hotrod98

I've heard that a lot of guys have bought the GV units only to remove them later due to vibration in the driveline. With the GV unit, the driveshaft is very, very short.

You can always go with a beefed up A518 and just hook up an overdrive switch. It takes very little modification to use an A518. You can also buy a wiring harness from Tony Squire to work with the 6.1 and A518.

As for that much conversion on a real Superbird...even I couldn't go that far. Not in a million years. Heck, even non-mopar guys would hate you.  ;D

Oh, and if you do convert the 6.1, I would be interested in the top end stuff for my 5.7 that's going into my cuda.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

gtx6970

Remember,,,You asked,

On a real bird,,,,, NOT a chance in he77 I'd do this regardless of how long I've owned it

daytonalo

Do the mods to that treasure is like flushing money down the toilet !!! Its almost criminal !!!

motorcitydak

I say do what ever you want to the car that can be put back to stock. If you want to bolt in a new motor, trans and front suspension, do it! Just do not sell off the origional numbers matching motor and trans.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

FLG

I understand the Aero guys striving for perfection when restoring these beauty's. But why an issue with bolt on upgrades? Store all the original stuff and if you ever sell it or want to go back to stock you can do so. Your not hurting the value of the car with modifications that can be easily reversed.

Aero426

Quote from: FLG on November 29, 2009, 09:16:46 PM
Your not hurting the value of the car with modifications that can be easily reversed.
Even with the original parts included, you are limiting the number of potential buyers down the road who will want to bother getting involved with it.    Those who are willing to do so will want a deal.   If you do not care about resale value, recouping some costs, or taking a long time to sell, performing a color change to a non available color and making major mechanical modifications is a great idea.   

FLG

Quote from: Aero426 on November 29, 2009, 09:33:45 PM
Your not hurting the value of the car with modifications that can be easily reversed.
Even with the original parts included, you are limiting the number of potential buyers down the road who will want to bother getting involved with it.    Those who are willing to do so will want a deal.   If you do not care about resale value, recouping some costs, or taking a long time to sell, performing a color change to a non available color and making major mechanical modifications is a great idea.   

Very true. But if your doing all the work yourself and now later down the line you decide to sell the car. If you can get what you want WITH the mods done to it than great. If you cannot, then all you will need to do is devote some time, and a bit of money to put the car back to stock. Again, this is if your the one doing the work. If your not, then you need to take into account the cost of the labor for someone to do it and if this will even be worth it or just to sell it at a lower price.

Regardless, i think we both are on the same page when it comes to modifications, for things that can be unbolted and changed back to stock (remember to keep the original parts) i see no problem.

hotrod98

Besides...there are just too many black Superbirds out there already. :D

Charles Addams

pettybird

I'm thinking of picking up another 5.7 as the price goes down and putting one in our corporation blue car.  I'd back it with an OD 833 and be done with it.  I've driven a number of aftermarket K frame equipped cars and I'm simply not impressed.  I prefer a larger set of torsion bars and a bigger sway bar to the complexity of the retrofit thing.

I'm a purist, too, but I'm all for 100% reversible mods with zero holes or cuts if you're going to drive the thing.  I do hate color changes, though!

hotrod98

I hate color changes as well, especially on the highly desirable cars. That was a problem for me with the Black Ice bird. My first thought was to return it to it's original color, Lemon Twist. However, my final decision was to leave it black for two reasons. One, to keep the history of the car intact and two, almost a fourth of the birds built were FY1.
To me, these cars drive just fine with the stock suspension as long as it's not worn out and is set up correctly.

Charles Addams

lucaslaw

I understand the Aero guys striving for perfection when restoring these beauty's. But why an issue with bolt on upgrades? Store all the original stuff and if you ever sell it or want to go back to stock you can do so. Your not hurting the value of the car with modifications that can be easily reversed.

If I do it that's exactly how I'd do it, I think maybe the original tranny with a GV would be a better idea, to fit the A-41 you have to flatten the pinchweld above the bellhousing. I envision eventually doing a full rotisserie on it and putting it back original, or auctioning it as a updated car that comes with all the shiny rebuilt original parts.

KEISLERGENE

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 29, 2009, 05:48:20 PM
I would get a 6.1 with a 727 with a Gv unit...   less intrusive to the floor pan.  The 6.1 hemi requires no cutting of the car...    the A/C system can be done with the 6.1 hemi compressor. Making the pump work with the ford rack only requires a different outlet fitting.

Check out my thread as I am doing a 6.1 hemi swap in a 68 Charger - might give you some ideas ?

The A41 does not modify the floor at all. The pinch weld has to be bent back but that is it.
GENE
KEISLER TECH SALES
888-609-0070 EXT 211
gene@keislerauto.com

hotrod98

Charles Addams