News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

THE DAYTONA HOOD!
As I mentioned earlier this Daytona hood was also purchased early on from Monroe Schellinger. I wanted all original Daytona pieces on my Daytonas and spent much time looking for these parts first before hunting any NOS!
This first batch of pictures shows a few rust spots on the underside that needed repaired. The B5 Daytona and the Daytona this hood came off of were both hood pad cars. I don't know if that had anything to do with the rust. It was right along the front edge of the underside hood pad?

Mopar John

HOOD UNDERSIDE REPAIR WORK!
This batch of pictures show removal of the bad area and metal replacement!

Mopar John

MORE UNDERSIDE HOOD REPAIR AND WELDING!

Mopar John

HOOD UNDERSIDE FINISH WORK!
This batch of pictures shows all the bad spots repaired by either metal replacement or welding up a few small pin holes. The underside is now in the metal finishing state!

Mopar John

HOOD UNDERSIDE IN PRIMER / HOOD INSTALLED ON DAYTONA BODY!!!
This batch of pictures will show the underside of the hood in primer and then it installed on the Daytona body! It is starting to look like a complete Daytona body! My next post will be about all the work Troy did on the alignment of all the front end parts and panel gaps! ENJOY!

69*F5*SE

MOPAR FANATIC

:2thumbs: AWESOME WORK,thats gonna be one bu-t=ful daytona.great attention to detail man.. :notworthy:

Dan T

Awesome car John, I can see that Troy does amazing work..
Thank you for documenting this, congrats!
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

Mopar John

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 27, 2010, 02:58:29 PM
Great pics John. Stellar work.   :2thumbs:
69*F5*SE,
Thanks! Many more on the way!
Quote from: MOPAR FANATIC on May 27, 2010, 03:27:47 PM
:2thumbs: AWESOME WORK,thats gonna be one bu-t=ful daytona.great attention to detail man.. :notworthy:
MOPAR FANATIC,
Thanks! Welcome to the forum! Other great cars and pictures on this site as well! A great source of AERO INFO!
Quote from: Dan T on May 27, 2010, 10:44:02 PM
Awesome car John, I can see that Troy does amazing work..
Thank you for documenting this, congrats!
Dan T,
Thanks and your right! Troy does some amazing work! Next up is front end panel gaps!

Mopar John

DAYTONA FRONT FENDERS AND HOOD ALIGNMENT AND PANEL GAPS!
Today I'm going to post several batches of pictures that show all the work Troy did on the alignment and panel gaps of the Daytona fenders and hood. The first picture is of the general layout of the left fender, the hood and the cowl. The next picture is of the right fender, the hood and the cowl. The last two pictures are of the right fender to door panel gap.

Mopar John

LEFT FENDER TO DOOR GAP!
This batch of pictures shows the work done to get the right gap between the left fender and door!

Mopar John

HOOD PANEL GAP WORK RIGHT SIDE!
  Some time during it's life the hood was stood up on it's back corners! This is very common and most of us learn the hard way to store a hood on one of the flat sides. This batch of pictures show the repairs done to the right rear hood corner and the gap.

Mopar John

HOOD PANEL GAP WORK LEFT SIDE!
This batch of pictures show repairs made to the hood left rear corner in order for the gap to be correct! This is the last of the pictures for today. The next post will have pictures of the body work on the outer part of the front fenders!

maxwellwedge

Looks good John! So many people stored hoods on the ends instead of on their sides and wreck the ends.

Do they still think it will be ready for the 'Nat's? Looks like it could be a nail-biter....been there!

The last month is when the big checks get written and the coffee cans full of money get dug up from your backyard to buy those last few NOS pieces you need from the "Jewellery Store"   Been there too!!

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 28, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
Looks good John! So many people stored hoods on the ends instead of on their sides and wreck the ends.

Do they still think it will be ready for the 'Nat's? Looks like it could be a nail-biter....been there!

The last month is when the big checks get written and the coffee cans full of money get dug up from your backyard to buy those last few NOS pieces you need from the "Jewellery Store"   Been there too!!
Jim,
Yes! We will be ready for the Nats! The pictures are from about this time last year. The Daytona is the one that's in the lower left of my signature. Soon I will be taking it back to Troy's for the final details that we didn't have time for to get to Talladega. In addition Troy will be installing all the NOS we have found since then. The want list is short now but it's the stuff that doesn't come up often like a Hemi/440 muffler and a trunk mat. Thanks again for that nice NOS date coded horn relay! That really helped on the engine compartment details!

hemi68charger

Wow,, talk about a lot of work put into sheetmetal detailing !!!!  Great job Troy..........   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on May 28, 2010, 06:37:13 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 28, 2010, 05:58:44 PM

Jim,
Yes! We will be ready for the Nats! The pictures are from about this time last year. The Daytona is the one that's in the lower left of my signature. Soon I will be taking it back to Troy's for the final details that we didn't have time for to get to Talladega. In addition Troy will be installing all the NOS we have found since then. The want list is short now but it's the stuff that doesn't come up often like a Hemi/440 muffler and a trunk mat. Thanks again for that nice NOS date coded horn relay! That really helped on the engine compartment details!

Whew! I didn't realise those pics were older! You would have to set up camp at the shop and start using a whip!  :lol:

I wish I could find the rest for you - I will put the feelers out.

Looking good John!

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 28, 2010, 06:39:29 PM
Wow,, talk about a lot of work put into sheetmetal detailing !!!!  Great job Troy..........   :2thumbs:
Troy,
When I saw some of the pictures on the gap work it was like I'm really glad I'm having Troy do the restoration to our Daytona!

Mopar John

FRONT FENDERS OUTSIDE BODY WORK!
This batch of pictures is of the body work on the outside of the left fender. The first picture shows a dent being pulled out on the top side of the fender. The second picture shows the body filler and the third shows it sanded. The last picture shows some welding by the screen opening.

Mopar John

MORE FENDER BODY WORK!
This batch of pictures shows the body work being done on the outside of the right fender. The first picture shows the body filler and the second shows it sanded. The third picture shows more filler and the last picture shows it sanded again. Next up will be the outside of the hood!

Mopar John

4 PART OR 4 SECTION SIDEMARKER REFLECTORS?
When I finished with my last 2 posts I reviewed them to see how the pictures turned out. While doing this the amber front sidemarker reflectors caught my eye. When I first took our Daytona down to Paul Jacobs place I had laid out all the NOS we had bought for the restoration. One of the items that Paul told me were wrong were the 2 part side markers? When he told me this I didn't understand and he grabbed one and put it up next to the one on the Daytona. He informed me that late in the model year that Chrysler had switched over to the 4 part reflectors and that they were on most of the original Daytonas that he had seen. I started my hunt for the 4 part reflectors and was able to buy enough assembly line NOS to do the restoration. If you look at the left fender post pictures #2 and #3 show the 4 sections pretty good. Also if you go to the right fender post picture #4 shows the one on that side. The lower valance is still in it's original B5 paint and is being used to line up the front fenders during the body work and still had the originals on it at the time of these pictures. Due to the difficulty finding these 4 parts and the large quantity of 2 parts being available many Daytonas have been switched over!

Mopar John

HOOD BODY WORK OUTSIDE PANEL!
This batch of pictures will show the body work being done on the outside panel of the hood. The first three show filler being applied and sanded. The fourth picture is of a dent being removed in the hood center body line!

Mopar John

MORE HOOD BODY WORK!
  The first two pictures in this batch show the filler being sanded. The third picture is much of the same from a left view and the fourth picture a right side view!

Mopar John

MORE HOOD BODY WORK AND PRIMER!
  I know it seems like a lot of work but I was determined to use an original Daytona hood! This first picture in this batch is of the front fenders and hood ready for the first coat of primer! The last three pictures are differant shots of the hood and fenders just after they were primered.

Mopar John

FRONT END IN PRIMER!
This is the last batch of pictures for today! It has only two shots and is one from each side showing the front end in primer after it had dried! The front end has now caught up with the body and doors and everything is lined up! The next time I post will be on the metal repair work to the trunk lid!