News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: Mopar John on April 06, 2011, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: tan top on March 31, 2011, 05:24:30 PM
  :coolgleamA:   so the windshield washer hose  does have a yellow stripe  :o   always wondered  as mine had a very faint yellow stripe after i cleaned the original with laqurer thinner :scratchchin:  never got an answer to this before  :coolgleamA:  though someone might just cut a length of vacume hose , cause the original was split

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20905.0.html

sorry for the sort of hijack  MJ  :cheers:
tan top,
I don't consider it a hijack but another verification of the proper washer hose! I am still looking for the hose that goes from the pump to the "F" fitting. It is slightly larger than the nozzle hoses. Did you clean that hose and find a differant color stripe on it as it is of a differant size?
Thanks! MJ

sorry for the late reply MJ just seen this !  ,
yes the washer jet to jet  & to the " F "is thinner

F to pump

that had /has  got a yellow stripe & is exact match for head light vacuum hose !! pulled another F to pump  hose off a (unrestored  under the hood )! but rotted out 318 69 charger  being parted  21 years ago that had yellow/amberish stripe to it also :yesnod: :shruggy: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

MORE NOS!!
Recently a fellow member to this site "johntpr" sent me an e-mail about an EBAY auction with some B7 blue NOS seatbelts. He knew that I am always looking for any NOS that would enhance the Daytona. I was lucky to win the auction at a very reasonable price! I thought I was bidding on just two pieces but when they arrived it was both halves in each bag or four pieces! Even better! I have attached a couple of pictures and am wondering what the 1969 - 2 means. Is this a date code of February 1969 or an application number for a 1969 2 door? Now that I have started this journey if any one would know of any other NOS B7 blue seat belt parts out there be sure to e-mail me or send a pm!
  I also recently purchased an NOS Charger passengers door skin! I found it on this site in the for sale forum! I purchased it for two reasons 1) insurance if we should ever get hit in that door! 2) If you go back in this story you will see where the doors were cut to remove internal rust in the corners and I want to be safe on that issue as well!
Mopar John

RusTy/SE

John, if it's a similar dating system to that used on (what's left of) the original seatbelts in my 1970 Challenger R/T SE (spd 109), in your case it would indicate 2nd quarter of 1969.

johntpr

Glad it worked out for you John.

I agree ...2nd quarter 1969.

Mopar John

KENTUCKY DERBY TODAY!
Linda and I just finished watching the Kentucky Derby today! It brought back a lot of memories from the Louisville Concours De' Elegance that we participated in last fall. I have attached some pictures from the event. We were able to spend some time with the head bugler there. The first picture shows him playing the tradional call to the post from the balcony. On this day it let us know it was time for the dinner gala! The second and third pictures are of Linda and I with him! The last picture is of our Daytona on display with the main grandstand in the background!

Mopar John

FRONT VALANCE SIDE MARKER OPENINGS??
I had a question by Mark ( Richard Cranium ) on this site about the Daytona lower front valance side marker openings. He noticed that the placement is not the same from side to side. So while I was out taking some pictures I took a close up of both sides of an original front valance. There is a placement differance from side to side! I wonder if all the repros are made with this offset?
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on May 14, 2011, 06:17:23 PM
                                FRONT VALANCE SIDE MARKER OPENINGS??
I had a question by Mark ( Richard Cranium ) on this site about the Daytona lower front valance side marker openings. He noticed that the placement is not the same from side to side. So while I was out taking some pictures I took a close up of both sides of an original front valance. There is a placement differance from side to side! I wonder if all the repros are made with this offset?
MJ

Thanks John,,,, Now I have to go look at mine !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I see on one side refelector is closer to the back .Will check my daytona when new pictures.They even sometimes had the reflector upside down .Chalk it up to random workmanship :Twocents:

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

The way it is stamped on the panel is different from side to side.

Mopar John

TRIP TO GATLINBURG TENNESSEE!
This past week Linda and I made a short trip to Gatlinburg. On the way we stopped off at Troy Angelly Restorations to drop off some parts and pick up some parts. We also confirmed the November time slot to drop off the Superbird. It's a go and not that far away#$%^&*()!
  While there we checked out all the cars being worked on and there are 2 Mopars that should make it to Carlisle for their first show! If you go, stop by Troy's booth and see the latest restorations!
  Our trip to Gatlinburg was a little sad! We had planned to go back for some time and couldn't believe all that had changed! Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are growing and Gatlinburg is in decline! There were about 10 motels that were closed and a couple were being torn down! In addition several other buisnesses were shut down!
While there we stopped at Floyd Garretts Muscle Car Museum that has around 90 muscle cars on display! There was a good showing of Mopars but not one 500, no DAYTONA and no SUPERBIRD! There were a couple of Talladegas including a prototype and a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler for the Ford aero guys! There was only one Charger but it was a nice one! It was a burnt orange 1970 Charger R/T sunroof car with air! It was also a Mopar Nationals OE GOLD winner and best of show winner! Linda was happy because they had a 2007 SHELBY GT500 just like hers on display! I have attached a few pictures from the visit! ENJOY!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

DAYTONA HEADLIGHTS
Previously in my story I said that we had gone through the original headlights from both Daytonas and put the best set together for the B5 Daytona. That left me short handed for the R4 Daytona. Just for the record one was built on June 5th 1969 and the other June 9th 1969 and both had GE headlights dated 4-9. With this shortage I placed a wanted ad for original GE headlights on this site. The response was great and I was able to assemble a date coded set for the R4 Daytona. Also during this process I was able to buy 2 NOS high beam headlights dated 1969! So now I have modified my ad and am looking for 2 NOS low beams dated 1969. I have attached some pictures of the originals next to a NOS headlight and hopefully you will see how much better the NOS look! I also have a picture of one NOS headlight next to an original box!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

ORIGINAL WINDSHIELD WASHER BOTTLES
Recently I was involved in a conversation about Daytona NOS and original parts with Tony. Tony is new to this site and his user ID is 69hemidaytona. We started talking about NOS windshield washer bottles and he asked me if I had used an NOS one on the B5 Daytona. I said that I had and he asked me to remove it from the inner fender and see what numbers were on it. I called him back with the info and he informed me that Chrysler had been using that same date code for some time. I also contacted Jeff on this site 69R/TSE4speed on this site for some extra verification. I have attached 3 pictures to this reply and I hope you can make out the details I am talking about? Some will be easy to spot when you look at a installed washer bottle.
PICTURE 1) This picture is of a pencil rubbing of the engine side of two washer bottles placed on top of my extra NOS bottle. The top rubbing is from the nos bottle and if you look close the bottom line which reads
" USE ( MOPAR LOGO ) MOPAR WINDSHIELD WASHER SOLVENT " is double stamped! The bottom rubbing is from my original 1969 washer bottle and has very clear lettering on the bottom row!
PICTURE 2) This picture is of a pencil rubbing of the inner fender side of two washer bottles placed on top of my original bottle. The top rubbing is from the NOS bottle with the later 3168 date! I am wondering if any one knows when this was first used 3168 for 1978 or 1988? I bought this bottle back in the eighties from Koeller Dodge!
The bottom rubbing is from my original 1969 bottle dated 1129 or 112th day of 1969. Hopefully you can see where the older bottle has numbers that are stamped more even and there is no gap between the 30 and 191 on the older bottle! This bottle came out of my 1969 Coronet 318 4 door parts car that was built the same day as the B5 blue Daytona!  The reason this bottle may have held up so well is that it was in a small block car with less heat under the hood and no big block exhaust manifolds near the washer bottle?
PICTURE 3) This picture is of a pencil rubbing of the tab on the washer pump itself laying near my original washer pump! I stumbled upon this when I was checking out the differances in the bottles! It has a part number with a dash mark and the same 30191 code as the bottle! In this case a 0909 C date code! Which I believe to be the 90th day of 1969!
I hope this info is helpfull and would like to know if anyone has had any sucess in getting the discoloration out of an older bottle? I would like to clean it up and use it if it turns out well!
Thanks! MJ

Davtona

John, I was told by a seller on Ebay (Chevy guy) that he uses a bleach & water solution to lighten them back up. He was lightening up the yellow color that way on 70 Chevelle bottles and selling them as there never was a correct NOS bottle for them. I didn't buy the bottle and I've never tried this so I can't guarantee the results. That washer pump looks correct date wise also. It has the little round bump on the elbow that the period correct ones have.

Dave

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on June 03, 2011, 06:43:07 AM
John, I was told by a seller on Ebay (Chevy guy) that he uses a bleach & water solution to lighten them back up. He was lightening up the yellow color that way on 70 Chevelle bottles and selling them as there never was a correct NOS bottle for them. I didn't buy the bottle and I've never tried this so I can't guarantee the results. That washer pump looks correct date wise also. It has the little round bump on the elbow that the period correct ones have.

Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the tip! I will wipe it down real good and soak it in a weak blend to start out and see what happens?
Thanks! John

Mopar John

SAFE AND SOUND!
Last week between my midnights and days I had a long 4 day weekend! I decided to finish up the drywall, primer and paint our shop where we had a new garage door and siding installed last fall. I did the wiring, insulation and hung the drywall last fall. The Daytona has been stored there safe and sound! So I wouldn't get drywall dust all over it I drove it up to the house garage. Then I moved the dehumidifier to the garage to keep everything from rusting on these hot and humid summer days. A few hours later I went to check on the dehumidifier just to make sure it was working and draining properly. When I came around the drivers side of the Daytona I couldn't believe my eyes! The dehumidifier had vibrated it's way from the wall almost to the Daytona!@#$%^&*(! WOW! I had planned for the Daytona to be there the next 4 days and if I hadn't checked on it, it probably would have rubbed it's way right through the paint! The rest of the weekend went well and I accomplished my goal and returned the Daytona to it's parking spot SAFE AND SOUND!
Hope to see many of you this weekend!
Mopar John

maxwellwedge

Hey John - I have had success using the CLR stuff. I block off all the holes that will leak and fill it with the stuff. Using it straight is better but if you are going to mix it with water - make sure it is super hot. The longer it soaks the better. Finally, use bottle brushes while the stuff is in the bottle. Works pretty darn good on most of the bottles I have used it on.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 26, 2011, 09:35:31 PM
Hey John - I have had success using the CLR stuff. I block off all the holes that will leak and fill it with the stuff. Using it straight is better but if you are going to mix it with water - make sure it is super hot. The longer it soaks the better. Finally, use bottle brushes while the stuff is in the bottle. Works pretty darn good on most of the bottles I have used it on.
Jim,
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try!
John

Mopar John

TOOK THE DAYTONA TO A LOCAL FRIDAY NIGHT CAR GATHERING!
It has been a while since I have had the Daytona out. I am thinking about showing it at some local car shows this fall. So today I started it up and dusted it off. I have a thing about dust on this car since it was the biggest points deduction at the nats and the muscle car nationals. I never used to worry about it as much as I do now! After I had it ready to go I decided to take it to Valparaiso, Indiana where there is a gathering of cars every Friday night. Normally a hundred cars or more show up on a nice night like tonight. There has never been a Daytona at this event! Our Superbird and another that is very similar are there every so often. The people checking out the Daytona were non stop. There were a lot of stories! One guy said that he ran a Dodge dealers body shop and when the Daytonas came in they would send them back to the body shop to have all the parts readjusted and lined up???
There was only one sold new in northwest Indiana! I received many many positive comments and was thanked by many for bringing it out. There was one guy who was in a Mopar club with me that told another guy that I shouldn't have put those crappy looking hub caps and white line tires on the Daytona. That guy told him that those were the correct wheels and tires as the way the Daytona was built! I have attached a couple of pictures from tonight.
Mopar John

Mopar John

ORIGINAL HEADLIGHTS!
On of my previous posts had information on the original GE headlights. I had placed an ad looking for some originals and recently a fellow Mopar friend sent me an e-mail. He had lost my contact info and when he saw an ad of mine on Moparts he e-mailed me about the headlights. He had found 3 originals! 1 low beam and 2 high beams! I have attached some pictures of them. The one with a 2 9 date code shows up the best. I am still looking for 2 NOS low beams if there are any out there?
Thanks! John

held1823

i ask this to test my own memory, but i was thinking that halogen bulbs did not arrive in the states until the early 1980's? I worked at an auto parts store during high school, and can (almost) recall when they first were added to the store shelves. the date code adds an interesting twist, but i wonder if it applies to just the basic design (shell) of the light, and not the technology? would halogen lamps be concours correct, for 1969?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Ernie,
Sorry about the HALOGEN boxes and the confusion! My friend stored the bulbs in these boxes to protect them! You are correct those boxes have nothing to do with the headlights in the pictures other than a safe place to keep them.
Thanks! John

held1823

Quote from: Mopar John on November 06, 2011, 04:28:11 PM
Ernie,
Sorry about the HALOGEN boxes and the confusion! My friend stored the bulbs in these boxes to protect them! You are correct those boxes have nothing to do with the headlights in the pictures other than a safe place to keep them.
Thanks! John

lol. that very thought (about storage) occured to me, not long after i made the earlier post. the boxes definitely had me thinking of how colorful they were, to be 40 years old...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053