News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

2011 MUSCLE CAR AND CORVETTE NATIONALS THIS WEEKEND!
  As a preview of this years 2011 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals V8TV put out a preview video. This video had some cars featured from the 2010 show! Our Daytona is featured in part 2 from 5:10 - 5:52!
To view the video go to the youtube website and type in v8tv mcacn preview part 2
We were happy when a friend forwarded the link to us and saw our Daytona on the video! There were a lot of very nice cars there and to have a good share of the preview made us proud!
Mopar John

held1823

congrats, john, and well deserved. the car is beyond beautiful.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

472 R/T SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiv6gCezlus

He starts talking about the Daytona @ 5:09 & ends it saying something that wasn't said about any of the other cars.

"...and MAN did it draw crowds" 

Mopar John

THANKS  472 R/T SE for the direct link to the video and additional comments!
Now all I have to do is figure out how to copy this clip to a DVD?
Mopar John

Mopar John

RECENT PURCHASES
I try to scan the for sale ads from time to time and see if I can find anything to enhance the Daytona. These items seem to be farther and farther apart and a lot more expensive as time goes on! Usually when it's an EBAY item I get zapped at the last minute!
  Recently on EBAY I bid on one single NOS headlight retaining ring! During the parts collecting for the restoration I was able to buy 2 singles and went through all my used ones and picked the best 2 for the set. The days of buying full sets and pairs are just about over! I got lucky and was able to buy the headlight retaining ring for the opening bid! This was a no problem auction and the part was shipped quickly and as described! I will keep searching for that last one along with 2 low beam headlights to complete the set.
Mopar John

Mopar John

PRESTOLITE HORNS!
Another recent purchase was a HI - LOW set of Daytona correct Prestolite horns! These were bought right off this site in the swap for sale section! The seller was a regular here named Bill Mann. I have bought from him before and he's a good guy! The horns were priced right and had date codes of 20 9 and 21 9 perfect for our Daytonas! I have attached some pictures for everyone to see what they look like and tried to get close ups of the Prestolite logo and date codes.
Mopar John

Mopar John

WHAT HAS MOPAR JOHN BEEN UP TO?
  We'll a lot! Some call the detail parts NOS, some call it makeup, some call it jewelry, and I say making it better!
Over the next few days I will share with you some of the recent going's on's in no particular order. In one of my
recent posts I mentioned that I had found a third NOS headlight ring! We'll I'm happy to say that I found the fourth
and made a complete set. Now all I need to do is clean them up and install them!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on January 21, 2012, 07:56:23 PM
                                                             WHAT HAS MOPAR JOHN BEEN UP TO?
  We'll a lot! Some call the detail parts NOS, ...

Well,,, check those bad boys out.........  Nice.  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

NOS 727 TRANSMISSION DUST SHIELD OR SHOULD I SAY DUST SHIELDS??
  While loading up the Daytona for the trip to Mopar Nationals I went to install my NOS 727 transmission dust shield. When i removed the original one I noticed that the NOS one didn't match @#$%^&*()_! WOW! So now what? I put the original back on and started looking for a correct NOS one! Just this past week I was able to get one off EBAY! I have the Daytona up on jackstands for the winter so I can't wait to crawl under there and put the new one on! I have attached some pictures. The first one shows the original dust shield at the top and the first superceded NOS one at the bottom. You can see that the stamping pattern is all wrong! This style is still being sold today! The second picture shows the second NOS dust shield that is correct. This last one has a very old computor punch card still attached to it! I wonder how old it is since there is no date anywhere on the punch card?
MJ

held1823

john, i will ask around and see if any of the old timers from the local chrysler plant know how to decipher the card. dad should have several buddies who worked with them. larry b's friend gene (a 'bird owner himself) might also be a good place to start. if i find out anything helpful, i will pass it on.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on January 22, 2012, 01:09:31 PM
john, i will ask around and see if any of the old timers from the local chrysler plant know how to decipher the card. dad should have several buddies who worked with them. larry b's friend gene (a 'bird owner himself) might also be a good place to start. if i find out anything helpful, i will pass it on.
Ernie,
Thanks for the help! The tag does say that it was revised on 4/68 so we know it's after that. But how much?
MJ

Mopar John

OTHER DAYTONA OWNERS HELPING OUT!
From time to time I do get messages and e-mails from other Daytona owners out there knowing that I'm looking for those hard to find parts just as they are. I usually get one when it's a blue interior part. Recently Dave who goes by davtona let me know about some NOS blue door lock knobs on EBAY. They looked very dark almost purple in the ad but for $10.00 I couldn't get hurt so I bid on them. I won the auction and when I opened the package they were an exact match for my B7 Daytona interior! WOW!! They look so shiny and nice compared to the ones I had on the Daytona! Thanks!
MJ

UFO

Quote from: Mopar John on January 22, 2012, 12:53:44 PM
This last one has a very old computor punch card still attached to it! I wonder how old it is since there is no date anywhere on the punch card?
MJ

I just got a nos part with a similar pick ticket in the package.
The date on the package is may 74.

Mopar John

Quote from: UFO on January 22, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on January 22, 2012, 12:53:44 PM
This last one has a very old computor punch card still attached to it! I wonder how old it is since there is no date anywhere on the punch card?
MJ
UFO,
Thanks for posting a picture of what you call a pick ticket. If you still have it can you tell me what the revision date is way at the bottom?
Your ticket and mine look differant and it might close the gap for me. This may give me an idea of when the one I have was no longer used and how old my part is. Right now I'm guessing my part was shipped somewhere between 4/68 and 1974?
Thanks! MJ

I just got a nos part with a similar pick ticket in the package.
The date on the package is may 74.

UFO

Quote from: Mopar John on January 23, 2012, 11:38:55 AM
Thanks for posting a picture of what you call a pick ticket. If you still have it can you tell me what the revision date is way at the bottom?
Your ticket and mine look differant and it might close the gap for me. This may give me an idea of when the one I have was no longer used and how old my part is. Right now I'm guessing my part was shipped somewhere between 4/68 and 1974?
Thanks! MJ

There has to be some employee's that use to work in the many parts depot's around the country.Sure there are some that are not car people.One thought is to put some of this type of stuff on display at a show.Eventually you will get someone say "I remember those things".

held1823

Quote from: UFO on January 29, 2012, 02:02:58 PM
There has to be some employee's that use to work in the many parts depot's around the country.Sure there are some that are not car people.One thought is to put some of this type of stuff on display at a show.Eventually you will get someone say "I remember those things".

that's the angle i'm trying to use. once the local chrysler plant closed, its employees were scattered all over. several ended up at parts depots around the country. while one of them might not have the answer, i'm hoping that one of their "new" co-workers might. no luck on the local front yet, but i'm still asking around. a few people recall seing punch cards being used at the plant here, as parts were sent out to various other locations, so they were apparently used throughout the supply system.  

john, can you post a scan of the older ticket? it might help jog someone's memory if i can show others what im asking about, rather than just trying to describe it.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar John

UFO,
Thanks for posting the close up of your " PICKERS TAG " ! This helps me a lot because my tag has a revision date of 4/68 and yours has a revision date of 8/71. So I now know my part was shipped in the late 68 to early 71 time frame and therefore a very correct period piece for my car!
Ernie,
I will attach a close up of my "PICKERS TAG" for you. Hopefully we can find out if there is a date punched into these cards for future reference!
Thanks! Mopar John

Mopar John

NOS TAILLIGHT LENSES!!!!
This part of my story starts way back in the spring of 2008! I was looking for all kinds of NOS parts for the upcoming Daytona restoration. I had a wanted ad for a pair of NOS taillight lenses and a fellow named TONY MALCEIN ( 69hemidaytona ) on this site replied to my ad. He said he had a CORRECT pair of lenses for somewhere around $1500.00 for sale! WOW!! I thought that was high and passed on them. I told Tony that I had around 8 sets of taillights and that I would polish the best lenses and have the best bezels rechromed. Tony told me that I would never be happy doing it that way! He said that they would have to break all the tabs for the bezels and then glue them back together somehow? He also thought some of this would be noticable from outside the Daytona. We'll that's exactly what we did! We polished the best sets of lenses and had the best 2 sets of bezels rechromed. At the time I thought I would use the extras on the other Daytona?
Money was running short and I had a chance to buy 3 NOS tires and 2 correct date code original tires. About this time Brian (1hotdaytona) on this site had a want ad for taillight bezels. Brain bailed me out and bought my bezels and I bought the tires!
Thanks again Brian!
Fast forward to the spring of 2011 and I see a for sale ad on this site for an NOS passengers side Charger door skin. I ended up buying it from a fellow named Jay James. During our conversationI asked him if he had any other NOS that would fit a 69 Charger? He said that he did and would send me a list with prices. I ended up buying an NOS lower ball joint and a correct 1969 NOS right/passengers side  taillight lens! WOW! By this time I learned that the replacement taillight lenses were quickly superceded because of the changes in the 1970 model that fit the same openings! At that time I knew of at least 4 differant kinds! I have attached a picture of the back side of my  correct passengers side lens. You will notice that it looks like the whole back side has what look like little round balls cut in half and spread out in even rows! I have also attached a picture of the outside of this same lens.
MJ

Mopar John

NOS TAILLIGHT LENSES PART 2!
So now with an NOS right taillight lens and wanting to make the Daytona more correct guess what? Yep! I'm now on the lookout for a drivers side NOS taillight lens. I quickly find out they are much more difficult to find than the side I already have! So I place another want ad looking for the NOS right side and guess who again responds to my ad? YEP again! TONY MALCEIN! Tony tells me what I already know that the drivers side is harder to find and that he has an extra! WOW!! We'll this began a long drwan out process between me and Tony. He was looking for NOS for his Daytona and didn't just want to sell the taillight lens. He asked about what extras I had and I didn't have enough to finish the deal. About all I had was my pair of NOS highbeam 1969 headlights. About 6 weeks ago things came together! I had tried to offer some cash and the headlights but couldn't get a number out of Tony? Then I found a couple of things he was looking for and about the same time Tony starts asking me some detailed questions about my taillight lens? It turns out that there are 2 differant styles of the lens with painted and unpainted outsides. Luck was finally starting to come my way. Tony's extra or odd taillight lens was a match to the one I had! WOW! This would make a pair for me and he wouldn't have to break up one of his sets! He finally gave me a price with my parts considered and after a little negotiating we made the deal! GREAT! I know have a set of NOS taillight lenses! Tony also said
" I TOLD YOU SO BACK IN 2008! "
Tony had a whirlwind midwest parts run and about a week and a half ago he delivered the taillight lens and picked up what I had for him! This was great because nothing got damaged and he got to check out our Daytonas! THANKS TONY! I have attached a picture of the NOS set of taillight lenses! I have also attached a picture of an unpainted taillight lens along side a painted taillight lens! Right now I believe there are about 6 and maybe as many as 8 differant kinds of taillight lenses and many carry the same factory part number!

richRTSE

Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2012, 04:47:00 PM
UFO,
Thanks for posting the close up of your " PICKERS TAG " ! This helps me a lot because my tag has a revision date of 4/68 and yours has a revision date of 8/71. So I now know my part was shipped in the late 68 to early 71 time frame and therefore a very correct period piece for my car!
Ernie,
I will attach a close up of my "PICKERS TAG" for you. Hopefully we can find out if there is a date punched into these cards for future reference!
Thanks! Mopar John

not sure if this helps or not, but you can decifer some number out of those holes....looks like they match the numbers at the top of the ticket...quantity, part number, etc....starting at the top left looks like 0002, then 01942248, etc....maybe there's a date in there somewhere, I didn't decifer them all....hope this helps or is this common knowledge already?
:shruggy:

69hemidaytona

Hey John I see we share another interest together: Coin collecting!! Next time I stop by maybe you can show me what you have. Thanks for those hard to find reflectors.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on January 30, 2012, 05:53:13 PM
                                                               NOS TAILLIGHT LENSES PART 2!

Awesome John.. I know how difficult it is to find these NOS parts.. Maybe Tony can find the other side Charger 500 headlamp bucket... I have one, now I need the other side....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

EV2DEMON

And here I thought the car was done! It's a sickness isn't it?

One of these days I'll stop over and see how things are going.

nascarxx29

EV2 Demon I recall on another board you showed wingcars sitting in a garage very dusty.They ever get restored.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

EV2DEMON

Well, one of them did. There's a 40 page thread about it on dodgecharger.com

Wait...   :lol: