News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Standard radiator width in '69 and '70 for...

Started by hemi68charger, December 12, 2009, 04:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

a 440 equipped b-body with a 727, 3.23 and no a/c....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

resq302

I would have to say 22" was the standard unless you got a/c or an axle package.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemi68charger

Well guys.... I was aiming at Daytonas and Superbirds... I thought the base rear gear for any of them would have been a 3.23 gear for a 727. But, after doing some research with some buddies of mine, it seems pretty much every Daytona had an axle package, hence a 26". There's one "example" of a Daytona with a 440 727 and supposedly a 3.23 and a vintage picture that did show a 22" radiator. Also, all Superbirds were to be made standard with an axle package (3.55 or 3.54), hence always getting a 26" rad.

So, whereas the Superbird by default would have had it by design, the Daytonas seemed to have them by "chance" design, if it can be worded as such. The A13 Superbird code calls for an axle package, but the 69 1/2 Daytona A11 doesn't require an axle package.

Oh well, thought I was on to something... Sooo, is there ANY Daytonas out there with a 440, 727, 3.23 combo? And, if so, is your car equipped with a 22" or 26". I thought by the restricted air flow from the nose, the 26" would be mandatory.

Also, my digging deeper turned the page on me.

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Troy,

Since we spoke last, I've uncovered some conflicting documentation about Daytonas.  In the 4/15/69 Product Information Bulletin, it states the following:

It is recommended that orders specifying Torqueflite transmission be equipped with a Performance Axle Package (Sales Code A32 or A36).  Orders with a 4-speed manual transmission require that a Performance Axle Package (Sales Code A33 or A34) be coded. (emphasis added)

Another document dated 8/15/69, Group Release E-598 and titled "Product Planning Technical Services Fleet Engineering" states:

Transmission Option - Torqueflite requires A32 or A36 Axle
4-speed Manual Transmission requires A33 or A34 Axle
(emphasis added)

The latter document contains multiple mistakes (e.g. it says fender/hood mounted turn signals not available, and that M25 sill mouldings were not available - both of which were in fact available).  I would tend to hold to what the April document said.  After all, 100% of the Daytonas were made at Hamtramck by the time the August document was produced.  I tend to think the latter document was sent out as a file-stuffer document, something they had to do for pure procedural reasons.  Just a guess on that, however.

As far as Superbirds go, the Group Release F-534 document titled Product Planning Technical Services Fleet Engineering (same title as the 8/15/69 Daytona document) and dated 10/31/69 has a couple of things related to the question you asked:

Mandatory Max. Cooling Package Less Fan (N51) - with 86 or 87 engines (Std. 74 Hemi Eng.)

It also says:

NO AXLE RATIO ABOVE 3.55 MAY BE CODED.

Now... whether that means no axle ratio numerically higher than 3.55, or whether that means nothing mechanically-higher geared (e.g. highway gears), I do not know.  My 'Bird document collection is not nearly as complete as it is for the Daytonas, so there might be something else that is a lot more clear on the subject.  Technically, that particular document does not mandate an axle package, although I certainly won't argue how most (all??) 'Birds were equipped.

Clear as mud, right?

:lol:

hemi68charger

Geno..
You're very articulate......... Clear as the Caribbean Ocean off Cozumel.....

T
Troy

maxwellwedge

A383Wing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 14, 2009, 08:08:44 PM
Geno allways tipes reel good.  :yesnod:

Funny....I understood that with no problem at all....

69_500

Gene maybe you have the photo I'm thinking of, but wasn't there a vintage magazine article about the Daytona's that in the engine compartment shot clearly showed a 22" radiator. I thought we had a discussion about it at one time on here, but I can't find the photo on here, and I can't find it in my folder of Daytona pictures.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on December 14, 2009, 09:24:28 PM
Gene maybe you have the photo I'm thinking of, but wasn't there a vintage magazine article about the Daytona's that in the engine compartment shot clearly showed a 22" radiator. I thought we had a discussion about it at one time on here, but I can't find the photo on here, and I can't find it in my folder of Daytona pictures.

Yep, and that car is the reason I tend to believe the "recommended" document stipulation rather than "required".  With that said, I have yet to see a Daytona fender tag or Broadcast Sheet which does not have an axle package - so any that still exist would be a rare oddity.  Oh, and here's the pic from the other thread:

hemigeno

One interesting sidenote here... it looks like the latchtray on the 22" "Daytona" is bolted in place directly to the yoke rather than bolted to the normal (spot welded) support bracket/plate... not a normal Creative Industries technique for sure.  

:scratchchin:

As we were sorta kicking around in the thread link UFO posted, I wonder if this was a purpose-built "Daytona" -- built after the regular production run -- just for that fuel mileage magazine test?

:ahum:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 15, 2009, 09:32:19 AM
One interesting sidenote here... it looks like the latchtray on the 22" "Daytona" is bolted in place directly to the yoke rather than bolted to the normal (spot welded) support bracket/plate... not a normal Creative Industries technique for sure.  

:scratchchin:

As we were sorta kicking around in the thread link UFO posted, I wonder if this was a purpose-built "Daytona" -- built after the regular production run -- just for that fuel mileage magazine test?

:ahum:

Yeap,, sure smells like a quicky to me...................
Troy