News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$10 Million Bar Mitzvah Dad Under Investigation

Started by Ponch ®, December 01, 2005, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

See Bill? Karma's a bitch...and I hope they throw the book at this f*cker.

I have no idea what happened to the other thread, but keep it civil, mmmk?

BULLET-PROOF MOGUL UNDER FIRE

December 1, 2005 -- DAVID H. Brooks, the Long Island bullet-proof vest tycoon who spent $10 million for his daughter's bat mitzvah bash on Saturday, is being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Brooks gained notoriety when it was revealed he had hired Aerosmith, the Eagles, Stevie Nicks, 50 Cent, Ciara, Kenny G and Tom Petty to play at a party for his 13-year-old daughter, Elizabeth, on both floors of the Rainbow Room.

Brooks' company, DHB, a defense contractor that makes bullet-proof vests for the U.S. military, has been the subject of several class-action suits stemming from a government recall of its body armor. In May, the Marine Corps recalled 5,277 combat vests made by a DHB subsidiary issued to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan because of concerns that they failed a test to determine whether they could stop a bullet, reports Foxnews.com's Roger Friedman. :flame:

That happened five months after DHB announced a $100 million contract with the Defense Department on Dec. 23, 2004. The contract, Brooks said at the time, could be worth as much as $500 million.

Coincidentally, Friedman reports on the Web site, Brooks and the insiders at his company sold off about $200 million worth of DHB stock between Nov. 29 and Dec. 29, 2004. Brooks, according to publicly available filings, sold about $186 million himself.

Last weekend, Brooks sent his company jet to fly Aerosmith in from Pittsburgh. The band, which reportedly took the stage at 2:45 a.m., allowed Brooks' teenage nephew to play drums. The group's $1 million fee buys a lot of cooperation. The 50-year-old tycoon, who changed from a black leather suit into a magenta suede biker outfit covered with chains, later told a reporter he wouldn't comment on "a private event."

Federal investigators will undoubtedly be interested in how Brooks paid for the party. One area they are already looking into is how DHB bought parts from a company controlled by his wife.

A spokesman for Brooks, Manuel Rubio, said the company had no comment

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Shakey

Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off.  Great way of hiding some money!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on December 01, 2005, 06:43:43 PM
Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off.   Great way of hiding some money!

you know whats the scariest part? that the government IS getting involved, like Silver wished. :o
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Ponch on December 01, 2005, 06:50:16 PM
Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off.   Great way of hiding some money!

you know whats the scariest part? that the government IS getting involved, like Silver wished. :o

Heaven help us all.   :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Old Moparz

Does that mean he gets to be a mod now?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 01, 2005, 07:28:13 PM

Nah, I always thought of him more as a rocker.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Charger_Fan

Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off. ? Great way of hiding some money!

Sounds good to me, Troy can have him Mod his own section. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch on December 01, 2005, 06:37:47 PM

Federal investigators will undoubtedly be interested in how Brooks paid for the party. One area they are already looking into is how DHB bought parts from a company controlled by his wife.

I don't have the details, but maybe his wife's company is the only one of it's kind that is owned by a woman. That also gives it the chance to be certified as a "WBE" (Women's Business Enterprise) or "DBE" (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) company. If that's the reason, it's almost a sure thing to get contracts through the government whether you're compitent or not. A lot of times the contract is written so that the contractor is required to hire a minimum percentage of WBE/DBE/MBE sub contractors or suppliers. (MBE is Minority Owned Business) I used to work for a woman who's engineering firm was classified this way. She had no clue as to which end of a ruler to read, but knew enough to get a partner with a license to hold a 49% share of the company to sign papers. She's out of business now for being a moron.

WBE:
http://www.wbenc.org/

DBE:
http://www.dot.state.co.us/EEO/DBEProgramPage.htm

MBE:
http://www.uwsp.edu/purchasing/minority_business_enterprises.htm
               Bob                

Old Moparz

Bob                

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 01, 2005, 07:51:21 PM
I used to work for a woman... She had no clue as to which end of a ruler to read, but knew enough to get a partner with a license to hold a 49% share of the company to sign papers. She's out of business now for being a moron.

Does that make her a D.A.M.B.O.? (Dumb Ass Moronic Business Owner)

I dunno.

Or would that be a I.C.F.A.I.E.? (Intellectually Challenged Female American Independent Entrepreneur)

Johnny's Herd:

Ponch ®

Quote from: formula_440 on December 01, 2005, 08:19:24 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on December 01, 2005, 07:51:21 PM
I used to work for a woman... She had no clue as to which end of a ruler to read, but knew enough to get a partner with a license to hold a 49% share of the company to sign papers. She's out of business now for being a moron.

Does that make her a D.A.M.B.O.? (Dumb Ass Moronic Business Owner)

I dunno.

Or would that be a I.C.F.A.I.E.? (Intellectually Challenged Female American Independent Entrepreneur)

or a Clearly Unqualified No Talent? C.U............

Old Moparz

Aside from being an a-hole & doing a few underhanded & questionable things (illegal) the manager & I knew of, she was also certified as O.L.D.N.U.G.L.Y. as in not even with a borrowed d**k.
               Bob                

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:

Silver R/T

Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off.  Great way of hiding some money!

ya guys, I had to make a few calls you know..Ive got connections :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 02, 2005, 12:09:57 AM

ya guys, I had to make a few calls you know..Ive got connections :)

Did you sic 'em on the b@st@rds who sold you that defective energy saver bulb?
Johnny's Herd:

Silver R/T

na not this time...I do not get upset over burnt bulbs that lasted at least 2 years

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 01, 2005, 07:35:12 PM
Troy can have him Mod his own section. :D

Yeah, the section with padded white walls...

Well, sounds like he might be a shady business man...let's see if this moron gets what he deserves.
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

Sounds like the party was planned as a tax write off.═ Great way of hiding some money!

I wouldnt mind that, Troy what are the requirements?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Recharger

Mefirst

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 02, 2005, 01:29:35 AM

You do know that you are also required to take a written exam to see if you qualify?

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mefirst on December 02, 2005, 01:58:37 AM

You do know that you are also required to take a written exam to see if you qualify?
Quote from: Silver R/T on December 02, 2005, 02:12:45 AM
That we could do! :)
Who is WE? You & the mouse in your pocket?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 02, 2005, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on December 02, 2005, 01:58:37 AM

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 02, 2005, 02:12:45 AM
That we could do! :)
Who is WE? You & the mouse in your pocket?

Is that what he's calling it now? :shruggy:
Johnny's Herd: