News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

coil over suspension for a 73-74 charger?

Started by NichIowa, December 01, 2005, 10:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NichIowa

just wondering if anyone has flirted with the idea of doing a custom coil over suspension for a 73-74.  As far as I can tell no one has been able to make a custom one,  if anyone has seen one PLEASE post link, if anyone knows why then please tell me.  After looking at my charger for about an hour the only thing that I can figure why you can't just put in a coil over shock is because if you get rid of the torsion bars then there is no support for the lower control arm.  Any help would be appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

I guess my ? is Why ???
What do you feel you will gain by doing a coil over front susp .

NichIowa

Because by the time I get done it will not be street legal (just for drag) in my opinion I think since I am paying the money to uprade everything else between the weight and the ajustablilty, I think it will be worth it.

haueter66

you want more adjustability than torsion bars?

NichIowa

How much adjustability can you get out of torsions with a 440?  I'm not gonna say that I am well knowledged in this area so if I can get 3 to 3 1/2 inches of movement than please let me know.  I am definitely open to all ideas especially ones that don't cost 3k dollars.  Thank to all the help I can get.

Chryco Psycho

there are different bars available & they can be easily adjusted from the K frame  touching the ground to stupid high....... 3.5" is no problem

NichIowa

ok I guess  just didn't do enough research on the torsions.  did plenty on the coil overs because I have heard alot recommend.  I appreciate the help and the cool thing is that the torsions are by far the cheapest too.  Thanks again.

Blown70

Nich,

Say I will have a set of Strange engineering coil overs for sale.  They were not 3 grand at all. You do need to weld a tube in to accept them and tehy are only for the stip.... NO STREET which is why I will not need them.

I will also have a steering rack that could go with it.

Lmk your thoughts.

Tom

NichIowa

I have been told that coilovers will not work on 73 and 74 because of the lower control arm.  will they still work?  And also why only for the strip, is it limited on the turning radius or?  and as far as the 3 grand, that was for all the components needed for the swap, fabricated K and all new modern suspension, with rack steering. 
ramsey

Blown70

Quote from: NichIowa on December 04, 2005, 11:21:25 PM
I have been told that coilovers will not work on 73 and 74 because of the lower control arm.   will they still work?   And also why only for the strip, is it limited on the turning radius or?   and as far as the 3 grand, that was for all the components needed for the swap, fabricated K and all new modern suspension, with rack steering.  
ramsey

They are built to run straight and do not have the lateral support other than to turn around.   Small brakes enough to Burnout and then slow the car not for on and off the brakes.

My file will not currently attach.   I will attach one here later.

Well here is the pic.  I can take a better one but this will give you an idea.  The lower porton of the strut has two positioning rods one from the front and one from the lower area. :devil:

Tom