News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Six pack - info

Started by Pistolpete, December 02, 2005, 09:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Looking for info on how the six pack set up works on a 440.

Just ordered and NOS six pack and I've heard some conflicting stories, under "normal" driving conditions only 2 barrels operate ?
once you punch it all 6 open up or 4 then 6? (and hold on to your seat!!) I've heard there's no sound like it !!

Can't wait !!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

dkn1997

I can only tell you what I have heard.
1) they run strong if tuned properly
2) they are rarely tuned properly
3) there is a progressive mechanical linkage that you can buy for the outboard carbs that's supposed to help
4) I believe it does indeed run off the center primary carb for cruise/light throttle and then the
outboard carbs open up when you put your foot in it.

...then again, maybe I don''t know jack shit about these and none of the above is true....
RECHRGED

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 02, 2005, 12:15:36 PM
3) there is a progressive mechanical linkage that you can buy for the outboard carbs that's supposed to help
4) I believe it does indeed run off the center primary carb for cruise/light throttle and then the

...then again, maybe I don''t know jack shit about these and none of the above is true....

From my experience so far (using dkn's list):

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, but I for one prefer vacuum
4) Yes, it's essentially a 2 bbl till you put your foot into it, but when you do it's all 6 bbls @ 1350 cfm.

With mine there is a split second 'bog' as the motor is bombarded by all that air/fuel, then all hell breaks loose. :METAL:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

max

yes, the center carb does the work under normal driving conditions and when you do put your foot into it. vacumn pulls the out board carbs in.

it's sorta like setting up a 4 bbl holley with vac sec, you may need to play with the out board carb vacumn springs to get them to come in at the right time.

tunning is the key word to making them work right or it can be your worst nightmare if they aren't working right.

i had a 6 pack on my 440 challenger a few years back and i used the progressive linkage but knowing what i do now i would have never used that type of linkage.

what cam are you going to be using/or have in the engine they will be going on?

they do sound great when all 6 bbl are open and can be heard from a good distance away.

max

Quote from: formula_440 on December 02, 2005, 05:14:19 PM

With mine there is a split second 'bog' as the motor is bombarded by all that air/fuel, then all hell breaks loose. :METAL:

that split second bog is due to the fact the out board springs are too light. it should be an even pull with out any bog.
to fix it go to a heavery spring. to check to be sure they are opening up all the way use a paper clip and put it on the rod that goes from the vacumn pod down to the carb bbls.

place the clip at the base of the vacumn pod and take the car out for a run and when you come back the paper clip will have moved down the shaft. this will tell you how far the bbls have opened up and if you need to go with a lighter spring to open the bbls up completely. 

John_Kunkel

Quote3) there is a progressive mechanical linkage that you can buy for the outboard carbs that's supposed to help

Can you say BOG!!.  There are no accelerator pumps in the outboard carbs, any attempt to mechanically open them will result in a huge bog.

There used to be a mechanical conversion with completely different carbs (the outboard carbs had accelerator pumps) but they haven't been available for years.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 02, 2005, 06:33:44 PM
Quote3) there is a progressive mechanical linkage that you can buy for the outboard carbs that's supposed to help

Can you say BOG!!.   There are no accelerator pumps in the outboard carbs, any attempt to mechanically open them will result in a huge bog.

There used to be a mechanical conversion with completely different carbs (the outboard carbs had accelerator pumps) but they haven't been available for years.

Bingo.

I run a set of mechanical 4782/3's... and I got a spare set too.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BigBlockSam

I've never experience the bog. i have a smooth transition of power. the main thing with a 6 pack is ignition. ya gotta burn all that fuel. when i installed the msd system on mine. it became a monster. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chryco Psycho

1] True
2] True
3] the 69 1/2 cars had different carbs with accelerator pumps on all 3 carbs when tuned these work better then the vacuum system , using mechanical linkage on vacuum carbs is usless as JK pointed out
4]they are very effecient due to running on 2bbls most of the time , the 1350 CFM is a bit confusing , 2 bbls are rated at higher vacuum to 4 bbls so rated as a 4bb the 6 pack is closer to 950-1000 cfm
I love 6 Packs !! 

Pistolpete

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

G Force

My 6 pak does not have the vacuum pods, they were removed, it s now all mechaincal. I was told it would work better at the drag strip.
If I smash the throttle down from a dead stop the car feels like its going to stall ( is that the BOG?) I have to let up and give something a chance to catch up ( not sure what air? fuel? ignition?).

Chryco Psycho

yeah that is the BOG , you have no squirters to help when the outboard carbs are slammed open so the engine goes Lean big time , you really need either the vacuum pots back on there or different outboard carbs

Ghoste

And then you need to go kick the guy who told you it would be better.