News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this steering wheel from?

Started by Troy, December 19, 2009, 11:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I just noticed this wheel that came out of one of my Chargers. It's obviously not the stock one but what is it?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Looks like a 69 B-body wheel with the full horn ring and Plymouth center to me?  :shruggy:

Neal_J

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2009, 11:14:42 AM
Looks like a 69 B-body wheel with the full horn ring and Plymouth center to me?  :shruggy:

What he said.

Dans 68

Any difference between a '69 and a '68? This was available in '68 on the Barracuda, at the very least. And knowing the proclivity of our leader it is probably a '68.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

Not that I know of, I was just going by appearance and what I was familiar with.  I suppose I could get off my ass and walk waaaaaaaay across my office and check a 68 and 69 parts catalog but that is a lot of work. :nana:

Okay, I did it and they are the same part number for 68 and 69- 4007 DX9 for a black one.   The center ornament and horn pad are separate parts.

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2009, 11:40:49 AM
Not that I know of, I was just going by appearance and what I was familiar with.  I suppose I could get off my ass and walk allllllllll the way across my office and check a 68 and 69 parts catalog but that is a lot of work.

Hah! :rofl: I just reached across my desk to my '68 reference material and saw that an optional steering wheel is identical to what Troy posted, except for the insignia. So, it is one of the optional wheels for the Charger (except for the center ornament), the other one being the wood grain.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

Yeah, the three spokes and full horn ring were not the standard fare.  It looks like the same situation for the 1967 wheels.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Fairly uncommon as well (full horn ring)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Ghoste

Could get it in a Belvedere too but I'd most likely expect to see it in a Satellite.  Pure conjecture though.

Charger-Bodie

The 69 Coronet 440 we used to build a six pack clone had that wheel in it,but it was trash so we ended up using a standard one we had lying around.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

plumbeeper

From the 68 Charger dealership data book. Thanks to Barry's site.

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

Ghoste

Also from that same site, you can find that same steering pictured for Plymouth Belvedere's exactly as Troy's photo and you can find it for the Barracuda as well but with a fish ornament in the padded portion.  I see it through a bunch of applications and years in spite of it's uncommonly ordered status.
And you're right Dave, thanks to Barry's site for a bunch of stuff.  That archive and library there are a genuine treasure. :2thumbs:

Troy

Not my original question but it looks like I have two of these. One section of the horn ring appears to have been cut on the one in the background - I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way or not.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

It does look odd doesn't it?  Doesn't the horn pad normally cover the ends on the partial horn ring models.
FWIW, I'd switch the horn pads and use the full ring version.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on December 30, 2009, 01:53:43 PM
Not my original question but it looks like I have two of these. One section of the horn ring appears to have been cut on the one in the background - I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way or not.

Troy

'69 started with the half horn ring (standard wheel) and yes its supposed to be like that (looks like it was "cut")

Chris' '69 Charger R/T