News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Centering of trunklid

Started by Belgium R/T -68, January 02, 2010, 11:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

We hanged my trunklid today but it doesn't want to hang in the middle. How do you center it? :scratchchin: The hinge on the driverside is already against the body.
With the bolts you can only adjust height and centering in direction front/rear. We installed the bars and hinges before the decklid, does that has an influence?
I presume the hinges are the same on both sides or are they different? :shruggy:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Charger-Bodie

With the lid open simply push (might need to push hard) it in the direction it needs to go. This will slightly bend the hinges , and all will be well. What ever you do don't have the latch pull it into alignment. The lid should be aligned before the latch is even installed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

lexxman

That would be my first thing too try is show it some love with a push.Or take the lid off and pull the two bars over and re-install. :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

....and Per, if that dot work you will need to take the lid off and put a wsher on each hinge. One on a top hole and one an a bottom hole,to tilt the higes the directin needed.

PS if you use washers you will need to either glue or tape them to the hinge prior to sliding the the back on.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 02, 2010, 01:31:06 PM
....and Per, if that dot work you will need to take the lid off and put a wsher on each hinge. One on a top hole and one an a bottom hole,to tilt the higes the directin needed.

PS if you use washers you will need to either glue or tape them to the hinge prior to sliding the the back on.

Thanks Brian, your second proposal was suggested by "six-tee-nine" while we were busy but I wanted to check all options before I do anything.

Per

NorwayCharger

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 02, 2010, 12:51:24 PM
With the lid open simply push (might need to push hard) it in the direction it needs to go. This will slightly bend the hinges , and all will be well. What ever you do don't have the latch pull it into alignment. The lid should be aligned before the latch is even installed.

:2thumbs:, Thats what i did...Works on most trunk lid and hood
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

TylerCharger69

wow...mines the exact same way as the picture!!!  I went out and gave mine a good shovin!!!!   Fixed now!!!

six-tee-nine

Hey Per,

We were closer than we tought so it seems, but we forgot the easy solution (pushing it to the left)
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Indeed Koen but after getting it good centered by pushing the next problem arised. The decklid or the 2 quarters aren't straight because right corner of the decklid
stays almost an inch higher then the left side. I told my bodyguy to come over to testfit before painting because it's a lid from another car but no no :brickwall:
Should I put a big piece of wood between the body and the trunklid and try bending it straight? :scratchchin:

Per

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 03, 2010, 07:17:14 AM
Indeed Koen but after getting it good centered by pushing the next problem arised. The decklid or the 2 quarters aren't straight because right corner of the decklid
stays almost an inch higher then the left side. I told my bodyguy to come over to testfit before painting because it's a lid from another car but no no :brickwall:
Should I put a big piece of wood between the body and the trunklid and try bending it straight? :scratchchin:

Per

Yes Per you need to get the twist out of it.  I would reccomend another person holds while you VERY carfully twist, it will twist surprisingly easier than you might think. The problem is that it could shift the body work. Keep a close eye on the surface to see what its doing while you twist it.

Belgium R/T -68

I will give it a try Brian, thanks. :2thumbs:

Per

six-tee-nine

I agree with you Brian, but if you twist the left side down while holding the right side down, would'nt you notice later that the lid is bent so the edge of the lid does'nt follow the straight line of the tail of the car?

I have a feeling that you need to bend this out diagonally by pulling up the right side by the rear window....
If so then i believe it would be easier to remove the trunk lid, laying it on an flat floor with several pieces of cardboard under it. and then you can use your weight by standing on it carefully till it straight.

BTW Per, not to give you a bad feeling, but I believe the big triangular bulge you can see on top of the lid in the paint has something to do with the fact this lid is bent so hard....

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Well, before I can start trying anything with that decklid I have to get it open. :brickwall: I tried the lock and the rest before mounting it but evidently the bar
on the keylock doesn't give power enough to open it. Any bright ideas? I'm not small enough to climb into the trunk. :lol:

Per

six-tee-nine

:slap:

Never start running before you can walk........

Remove back seat and start crawling??

b5blue

Press down on the decklid while turning the lock...new trunk gasket is pushing up on lid and making latch grab onto catch holding it from unlocking easy.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on January 03, 2010, 09:51:06 AM
Press down on the decklid while turning the lock...new trunk gasket is pushing up on lid and making latch grab onto catch holding it from unlocking easy.

Tried that about 100 times, just doesn't want to loose the grip. It's like when the key is at it's furthest position the catch still wouldn't open, you would like to turn the key
another 10-20 degrees.

Per

BTW, Happy New Year B5 :cheers:

lexxman

Another thing is get someone who can crawl into the truck and unbolt the latch :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

This is one of the reasons I mentioned not to have the latch in until it fits correctly.

BTW Try twisting it on you will more than likely be surprised.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 03, 2010, 02:05:24 PM
This is one of the reasons I mentioned not to have the latch in until it fits correctly.

I know Brian but beeing alone that was the only way to be able to take the picture.

What do you mean with the surprise? :scratchchin:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: lexxman on January 03, 2010, 12:54:40 PM
Another thing is get someone who can crawl into the truck and unbolt the latch :Twocents:

I will try to get the youngest daughter in there, just have to learn her to use a 1/2" wrench. :eek2:

Per

b5blue

Thank you Per and Good Luck to you in the new year!  :cheers: The car is fighting you but you WILL WIN!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 03, 2010, 02:39:59 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 03, 2010, 02:05:24 PM

I know Brian but beeing alone that was the only way to be able to take the picture.

What do you mean with the surprise? :scratchchin:

Per

Twsting the lid to straighten it. With it bolted to the hinges.

maxwellwedge

And the lesson here...............  Line up everything before you paint.  ;)

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Belgium R/T -68

Not yet Bill, will send the smallest daughter in there this weekend. I guess in swimsuit and a lot of grease on her body. :lol:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Trunk is again open but twisting it while it's still mounted seems impossible. I tried with a piece of wood in the right corner and my whole bodyweight on the left corner
but it makes no difference. I gues giving it back to the bodymen is my only option, I asked him to testmount it before he painted it. :brickwall:

Per

b5blue

If you leave the lock out next time and use a long screw driver you won't have to grease up your little helper again! She is going to remember this a long time!  :lol: 

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on January 10, 2010, 11:25:11 AM
If you leave the lock out next time and use a long screw driver you won't have to grease up your little helper again! She is going to remember this a long time!  :lol: 

Neal,
Problem was that the latch was to far down so the catch was pressed downwards (or the opposite if I used the wrong words of the parts). :smilielol:

Per

b5blue

I understand, these are all the reasons I do not want to take my body apart!  :lol:

hemi-hampton

You say you installed the bars & hinges before trunklid. Why did you ever remove them in the firstplace? I usually leave them on. Just avoids these types of problems. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 10, 2010, 07:16:14 AM
Trunk is again open but twisting it while it's still mounted seems impossible. I tried with a piece of wood in the right corner and my whole bodyweight on the left corner
but it makes no difference. I gues giving it back to the bodymen is my only option, I asked him to testmount it before he painted it. :brickwall:

Per

While Ive never done it with a finished trunk lid, I assure you it can be done. You will be scare by the force it takes but it needs to fit . right?

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 10, 2010, 04:07:16 PM
You say you installed the bars & hinges before trunklid. Why did you ever remove them in the firstplace? I usually leave them on. Just avoids these types of problems. LEON.

Leon, the hinges had to go off because they were rusty and secondly the trunklid is from another car. I specificly asked the painter to testfit it before painting due to that
but no no no......

Per

b5blue

Per do you have the bumpers in the corners of the lid?

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on January 13, 2010, 09:03:21 AM
Per do you have the bumpers in the corners of the lid?

Yes Neal but not mounted yet. With the new weatherstrip I didn't bother mount them yet, do you think they could have played a role?

Per

b5blue

They do "Help" from over compressing, your lid is clearly "racked" out of flat though.   :eek2:

Belgium R/T -68

Have tried to bend the trunk as much as I can but maybe my bodyweight is to small? Have mounted the rubberstops and removed the keylock to make things easier. ;)
I do think it's a little bit better then the first pic or? :scratchchin: Have to find a big fellow to help me bend I guess? :lol:

Per

b5blue

:eek2: I have seen "adjustments" that would make you sick watching! I prefer finesse over brute force myself.  :scratchchin: You are so close!

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on February 07, 2010, 01:33:48 PM
:eek2: I have seen "adjustments" that would make you sick watching! I prefer finesse over brute force myself.  :scratchchin: You are so close!

Well Neal, I guess some extra weight will be needed to get this one straight but I believe Brian when he claims it's possible. :yesnod:

Per

b5blue

I wish I could send you my "extra weight"!  :eyes:

six-tee-nine

Dont tell me you have any fat guys over there huh.....or do i need to come over????? But don't push your luck cuz too much is too much :D

lexxman

Ya,cuz the last thing you want is to crack the paint.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lexxman on February 09, 2010, 05:33:21 PM
Ya,cuz the last thing you want is to crack the paint.

That would be bad to have happen,but its pretty much a risk that needs to be taken cause it isnt doing any good like it is.

Belgium R/T -68

I don't think moore weight will solve this now because even when I give my best the hinges will give up. Propably needs to be straightened in some kind of fixture. :shruggy:

Per

NMike

maybe the hinge is bent alittle on one side. might not even be the trunk lid.

you could wrestle them out and compare them.

NorwayCharger

Quote from: NMike on February 14, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
maybe the hinge is bent alittle on one side. might not even be the trunk lid.

you could wrestle them out and compare them.

Yes, do the easy step first.
Try laying the lid on there without the hinges..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Belgium R/T -68

I certainly will do the test without hinges but since 3 out of 4 corners are good I assumed it's the trunklid. :scratchchin:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Look at it now, definetly an improvement. The lockcatch/latch? is lowered a little bit, rightside upper and leftside lower hingebolt is loose. Now it's OK at the back but
left upper corner sits a little bit too deep and right side upper corner sits a little bit too high. I will wait a couple of days to let the rubber gasket sink down a little bit and give it another try.

Per

lexxman

That looks a lot better now.I see what you mean,about that corner. I would try to adjust the rubber stopper first. :2thumbs:

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: NorwayCharger on January 02, 2010, 01:39:55 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 02, 2010, 12:51:24 PM

:2thumbs:, Thats what i did...Works on most trunk lid and hood

That's what i did too. Worked for me.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Belgium R/T -68

Bad news :'( Tried the old trunk on and it fits like a glove, then again tried the "green" one but the 1/2 " difference is still there no matter how I adjust, jump on it or whatever.
I even removed the wheatherstrip without result. Now the time is running fasr and I have to decide what to do:

1. Find a company who can bend it straight in some kind of press.
2. Fix and paint the old one (just look at it :brickwall:).
3. Buy a new one from AMD.

Do I hate myself for listening to my bodyman saying it should be too expensive to fix the old one, better look for a better second hand (just before they were repoped).
That stupid trunklid costed me more then 1000$ when it was all done. :brickwall:

Doesn't look like I will be driving any time soon.

Per

PocketThunder

Put the rusty deck lid on and drive it..?..??  Or put the green one back on and drive it while the rusty one gets fixed.?...??   I wouldnt let an alignment issue with the green deck lid stop me from driving the car.   :shruggy: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 16, 2010, 02:24:19 PM
Put the rusty deck lid on and drive it..?..??  Or put the green one back on and drive it while the rusty one gets fixed.?...??   I wouldnt let an alignment issue with the green deck lid stop me from driving the car.   :shruggy: 

Ofcourse you are right about driving as in driving around the streets. I ment more like going to the local shows and things like that for a while, I guess my initial
depression overreacted there. I mean when I take the car to the first show or meeting I would like it to be buffed and include the stripe on the trunk.

Per

Ryan

Get the green lid on the car best you can and drive it, enjoy it. Take the old lid that fits the car and have it painted. The rust on it doesnt look terrible
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

tan top

Quote from: Ryan on March 16, 2010, 02:49:04 PM
Get the green lid on the car best you can and drive it, enjoy it. Take the old lid that fits the car and have it painted. The rust on it doesnt look terrible

yeah thats what i would do !!  or strip it & see how bad the rot is first ! might be lucky that the rot is not under the folded over flange of the top skin !! although , a little time consuming but easy enough to prise up to shot blast/wirebrush !! ,  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Belgium R/T -68

Is a sodabath an option?

Per

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on March 16, 2010, 03:59:04 PM
Is a sodabath an option?

Per

Sure, i think that would be the way to go, however I don't know where there's a shop to get that stuff done. I need to do the same with my trunklid since it fell of the trailer when i brought my charger home. Now you can hear the rust pellets rattle in the cavity's of the lid when you shake it  :D....

However your old lid looks straight and when a body part is straight and there are no holes rusted in it then why can't you save it? Sorry to say Per but I'm affraid our bodyguy kinda got you by the balls on that part.....

gers1968rt

I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

tan top

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on March 16, 2010, 03:59:04 PM
Is a sodabath an option?

Per

strip the paint off  wire brush or shot blast the rust !  make/ buy a vat/ tray /tank ! that holds liquid ! buy some eastwood metal ready or smiler , rust remover ! lay deck lid it !  make sure there is no grease on the panel !  , submerge it with the rust remover!  , leave it for a few days !  better if you can leave it out in the sun as the liquid works better when warm .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

lexxman

Well that sucks.  I think I would fix and paint the old one and sell the other. :Twocents:

mopar73

Try and get some money back from your bodyman :shruggy: Personally, I would get the AMD lid, by the time you get the other one fixed it might be close in price, unless you can get your bodyman to do it for you for free.  I suppose shipping to Belgium would be a fortune.  The car looks great otherwise and until you figure out what to do I would put the green lid on and enjoy it for awhile.

NMike

leave the green one on it while you weigh your options.

just leave it open at the shows  :icon_smile_cool: , nobody will ever know.

Ryan

Quote from: mopar73 on March 16, 2010, 09:40:40 PM
Try and get some money back from your bodyman :shruggy: Personally, I would get the AMD lid, by the time you get the other one fixed it might be close in price, unless you can get your bodyman to do it for you for free.  I suppose shipping to Belgium would be a fortune.  The car looks great otherwise and until you figure out what to do I would put the green lid on and enjoy it for awhile.

The only issue I see with using an AMD deck lid is that he will more than likely have to tweak that one to get it to fit as nice as the old one does. If the old one cleans up I would use that hands down.

2014 viper TA

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Ryan on March 17, 2010, 12:54:54 AM
Try and get some money back from your bodyman :shruggy: Personally, I would get the AMD lid, by the time you get the other one fixed it might be close in price, unless you can get your bodyman to do it for you for free.  I suppose shipping to Belgium would be a fortune.  The car looks great otherwise and until you figure out what to do I would put the green lid on and enjoy it for awhile.

The only issue I see with using an AMD deck lid is that he will more than likely have to tweak that one to get it to fit as nice as the old one does. If the old one cleans up I would use that hands down.

Thay's what I'm afraid of, maybe the "green" trunk is OK and at an earlier repaint/resto the original trunklid and/or quarterpanels has been aligned to fit
meaning that a new AMD lid will also not fit. :scratchchin:

Per

Ryan

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on March 17, 2010, 02:36:30 AM
Quote from: Ryan on March 17, 2010, 12:54:54 AM

Thay's what I'm afraid of, maybe the "green" trunk is OK and at an earlier repaint/resto the original trunklid and/or quarterpanels has been aligned to fit
meaning that a new AMD lid will also not fit. :scratchchin:

Per

You would be surprised how things line up when you use panels from other cars. They usually dont fit as well as the originals that come off of your car. It is a normal thing to have to adjust and tweak sheetmetal that isnt from your car. Even new replacment sheet metal from AMD. These cars were built on jigs back in the day and tolerances do vary.

2014 viper TA

Belgium R/T -68

I delivered the old trunklid to the sandblaster today, I will take it from there. Also needs to buy a liter of paint because it's up.

Per

twodko

Per,

Ryan and the other members here have made some good points. Its a setback to be sure, however drive it my brother, feel it and enjoy that monster motors' rumble! The old lid may turnout very well after soda blasting and paint. If not, you will overcome this small hurdle as you've overcome all the others.
Please remember you're the guy who installed a PERFECT vinyl top and headliner etc etc etc! Not to worry Per.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

mopar73

Quote from: twodko on March 17, 2010, 04:30:25 PM
Per,

Ryan and the other members here have made some good points. Its a setback to be sure, however drive it my brother, feel it and enjoy that monster motors' rumble! The old lid may turnout very well after soda blasting and paint. If not, you will overcome this small hurdle as you've overcome all the others.
Please remember you're the guy who installed a PERFECT vinyl top and headliner etc etc etc! Not to worry Per.

Tom
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: