News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Centering of trunklid

Started by Belgium R/T -68, January 02, 2010, 11:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Trunk is again open but twisting it while it's still mounted seems impossible. I tried with a piece of wood in the right corner and my whole bodyweight on the left corner
but it makes no difference. I gues giving it back to the bodymen is my only option, I asked him to testmount it before he painted it. :brickwall:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

b5blue

If you leave the lock out next time and use a long screw driver you won't have to grease up your little helper again! She is going to remember this a long time!  :lol: 

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on January 10, 2010, 11:25:11 AM
If you leave the lock out next time and use a long screw driver you won't have to grease up your little helper again! She is going to remember this a long time!  :lol: 

Neal,
Problem was that the latch was to far down so the catch was pressed downwards (or the opposite if I used the wrong words of the parts). :smilielol:

Per

b5blue

I understand, these are all the reasons I do not want to take my body apart!  :lol:

hemi-hampton

You say you installed the bars & hinges before trunklid. Why did you ever remove them in the firstplace? I usually leave them on. Just avoids these types of problems. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 10, 2010, 07:16:14 AM
Trunk is again open but twisting it while it's still mounted seems impossible. I tried with a piece of wood in the right corner and my whole bodyweight on the left corner
but it makes no difference. I gues giving it back to the bodymen is my only option, I asked him to testmount it before he painted it. :brickwall:

Per

While Ive never done it with a finished trunk lid, I assure you it can be done. You will be scare by the force it takes but it needs to fit . right?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 10, 2010, 04:07:16 PM
You say you installed the bars & hinges before trunklid. Why did you ever remove them in the firstplace? I usually leave them on. Just avoids these types of problems. LEON.

Leon, the hinges had to go off because they were rusty and secondly the trunklid is from another car. I specificly asked the painter to testfit it before painting due to that
but no no no......

Per

b5blue

Per do you have the bumpers in the corners of the lid?

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on January 13, 2010, 09:03:21 AM
Per do you have the bumpers in the corners of the lid?

Yes Neal but not mounted yet. With the new weatherstrip I didn't bother mount them yet, do you think they could have played a role?

Per

b5blue

They do "Help" from over compressing, your lid is clearly "racked" out of flat though.   :eek2:

Belgium R/T -68

Have tried to bend the trunk as much as I can but maybe my bodyweight is to small? Have mounted the rubberstops and removed the keylock to make things easier. ;)
I do think it's a little bit better then the first pic or? :scratchchin: Have to find a big fellow to help me bend I guess? :lol:

Per

b5blue

:eek2: I have seen "adjustments" that would make you sick watching! I prefer finesse over brute force myself.  :scratchchin: You are so close!

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on February 07, 2010, 01:33:48 PM
:eek2: I have seen "adjustments" that would make you sick watching! I prefer finesse over brute force myself.  :scratchchin: You are so close!

Well Neal, I guess some extra weight will be needed to get this one straight but I believe Brian when he claims it's possible. :yesnod:

Per

b5blue

I wish I could send you my "extra weight"!  :eyes:

six-tee-nine

Dont tell me you have any fat guys over there huh.....or do i need to come over????? But don't push your luck cuz too much is too much :D
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

lexxman

Ya,cuz the last thing you want is to crack the paint.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lexxman on February 09, 2010, 05:33:21 PM
Ya,cuz the last thing you want is to crack the paint.

That would be bad to have happen,but its pretty much a risk that needs to be taken cause it isnt doing any good like it is.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

I don't think moore weight will solve this now because even when I give my best the hinges will give up. Propably needs to be straightened in some kind of fixture. :shruggy:

Per

NMike

maybe the hinge is bent alittle on one side. might not even be the trunk lid.

you could wrestle them out and compare them.

NorwayCharger

Quote from: NMike on February 14, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
maybe the hinge is bent alittle on one side. might not even be the trunk lid.

you could wrestle them out and compare them.

Yes, do the easy step first.
Try laying the lid on there without the hinges..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Belgium R/T -68

I certainly will do the test without hinges but since 3 out of 4 corners are good I assumed it's the trunklid. :scratchchin:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Look at it now, definetly an improvement. The lockcatch/latch? is lowered a little bit, rightside upper and leftside lower hingebolt is loose. Now it's OK at the back but
left upper corner sits a little bit too deep and right side upper corner sits a little bit too high. I will wait a couple of days to let the rubber gasket sink down a little bit and give it another try.

Per

lexxman

That looks a lot better now.I see what you mean,about that corner. I would try to adjust the rubber stopper first. :2thumbs:

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: NorwayCharger on January 02, 2010, 01:39:55 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 02, 2010, 12:51:24 PM
With the lid open simply push (might need to push hard) it in the direction it needs to go. This will slightly bend the hinges , and all will be well. What ever you do don't have the latch pull it into alignment. The lid should be aligned before the latch is even installed.

:2thumbs:, Thats what i did...Works on most trunk lid and hood

That's what i did too. Worked for me.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Belgium R/T -68

Bad news :'( Tried the old trunk on and it fits like a glove, then again tried the "green" one but the 1/2 " difference is still there no matter how I adjust, jump on it or whatever.
I even removed the wheatherstrip without result. Now the time is running fasr and I have to decide what to do:

1. Find a company who can bend it straight in some kind of press.
2. Fix and paint the old one (just look at it :brickwall:).
3. Buy a new one from AMD.

Do I hate myself for listening to my bodyman saying it should be too expensive to fix the old one, better look for a better second hand (just before they were repoped).
That stupid trunklid costed me more then 1000$ when it was all done. :brickwall:

Doesn't look like I will be driving any time soon.

Per