News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can A Dealership Do This?

Started by Darkness, December 04, 2005, 10:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkness

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I thought I would post this and guys no flaming or any other bad stuff involved. I'm just curious myself and spreading the word. Perhaps Andy can chime. Thank you.

Troy

You have to be logged in to read it. Perhaps you could just provide the "Cliff Notes" version for those of us who really don't care to register for yet another site?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

moparguy01

Cliff notes!

guy tries to get new vehicle. Dealership cant get financing to work out for him. Doesnt tell him until he has been driving the car around for a month. Now he can either pay abunch more per month, or give the vehicle back to the dealer.

Vainglory, Esq.

Yes.  I've seen it happen.  Generally, it bothers the people who have been driving the car for a week thinking that they can afford it.  Quite a bit, I'd say.

moparguy01

I think it would bother anybody. If I'm told that I will have a payment of X dollars for X amount of months at X percent, and sign the damn paperwork, I'd assume that those numbers would stay and that I could afford it. If someone changed the numbers after the fact then told me, I'd be pissed. Not so much at the extra money which might be a problem. but its the principal of the thing.

Oh thats right, you people with too much damn money dont have principals. I forgot. how silly of me.

dkn1997

that's what you get when you:

1.  allow this to happen.  this would not even be a story if they had the interest rate in writing, which he should have insisted on

2. have bad credit.  That's the only way the dealer could not work out the financing anything. 

Honestly, I have never heard of a car dealer letting anything go out the door without a signed agreement as to how it's going to be paid for.
RECHRGED

Darkness

Thanks guys for the interesting points. With that being said here's the thing about it though. If you're a dealer and gonna let someone drive off in a new car wouldn't it be smart enough to have the credit go through otherwise that person may beat the crap out of the vehicle and then say here's your vehicle back. Second off, before you drive off in a car aren't you suppose to be approved before hand anyways? I know the dealerships I worked with wouldn't let me drive off unless they had me ready to go although I did have one dealership down in Fargo that let me drive off with a truck without financing but, I gave them $2800 down and they were a shady bunch and I won't ever deal with them again. But, even then most stealers wouldn't let me take one even if I had $3k down. Well, anyways just thought I would add that. The bad thing is they already put his trade in on the auction block and trying to stick him with a base model Neon.

moparguy01

Quote from: 89vert4x4 on December 04, 2005, 06:45:17 PM
Thanks guys for the interesting points. With that being said here's the thing about it though. If you're a dealer and gonna let someone drive off in a new car wouldn't it be smart enough to have the credit go through otherwise that person may beat the crap out of the vehicle and then say here's your vehicle back. Second off, before you drive off in a car aren't you suppose to be approved before hand anyways? I know the dealerships I worked with wouldn't let me drive off unless they had me ready to go although I did have one dealership down in Fargo that let me drive off with a truck without financing but, I gave them $2800 down and they were a shady bunch and I won't ever deal with them again. But, even then most stealers wouldn't let me take one even if I had $3k down. Well, anyways just thought I would add that. The bad thing is they already put his trade in on the auction block and trying to stick him with a base model Neon.

If he already signed over the title then the guy really isnt very smart. The dealership will have to have the title to sell his trade in. He does have the right for legal action. I'd tell him to get ahold of a lawyer YESTERDAY. they cant sell that truck without a title.

Troy

When I bought my car (the only one I ever financed) I believe the paperwork said they could retrieve the vehicle within 4 days or something like that if the financing didn't go through. Generally, I was told they won't let you take it home unless they are positive that there are no problems. You have to sign the paperwork though because the actual lender doesn't process the loan until after everything is sent from the dealer. Up until that point they are just giving a thumbs up or thumbs down on your credit. At least that's the way I understand it and I could be totally wrong. I've never heard of them waiting for a month before trying to get the car back though. I guarantee that the provision was in there (it has its own form) and they told him about it. If they don't then he should be talking to a lawyer (which might not be a bad idea any way).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Troy on December 04, 2005, 10:27:56 PM
When I bought my car (the only one I ever financed) I believe the paperwork said they could retrieve the vehicle within 4 days or something like that if the financing didn't go through. Troy
You mean you actually read the contract???   heh...  I heard some dealers add extra stuff in the contract at a huge cost, and cover it with their arm, and tell you to SIGN. 

Brock Samson

could be an insurance problem too...

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Troy on December 04, 2005, 10:27:56 PM
When I bought my car (the only one I ever financed) I believe the paperwork said they could retrieve the vehicle within 4 days or something like that if the financing didn't go through. Generally, I was told they won't let you take it home unless they are positive that there are no problems. You have to sign the paperwork though because the actual lender doesn't process the loan until after everything is sent from the dealer. Up until that point they are just giving a thumbs up or thumbs down on your credit. At least that's the way I understand it and I could be totally wrong. I've never heard of them waiting for a month before trying to get the car back though. I guarantee that the provision was in there (it has its own form) and they told him about it. If they don't then he should be talking to a lawyer (which might not be a bad idea any way).

Troy

Yep, that's what I was referencing before, except we had a week.  Interestingly enough, it was the first car I ever "sold."  I missed that $800 commission when it came back.  I think maybe it was an omen as to how my career as a car salesman would go.

twilt

Had something similiar happen to me in 1987. I was 20 years old,about to be married, in Tech school in the Air Force.  Went to a dealership and thought i had bought a 1 year old used car. About a week  later, the SOBS
started calling me leaving messages that i now needed a co-signer. I had already told them that a co-signer was a non-possibility.  I basically ignored their calls for for a 4-5 days, thinking "screw them, they cant do that" wrong answer. One day i get to the squadron and have a message to go see the 1st Seargent..........not good.............If i dont return the vehicle today, the dealership has threatened to have me arrested. I took it back, handed them the keys. They tried to get me to come inside, tell me i owe them more money now as the 2 weeks i had the car is now considered a "rental" and the bill exceeds my down payment which was $700.  I tell em to screw off, I am not paying another G.D. cent, nor am i coming in to sign anymore of their bullshit paperwork. never did hear anything more about it. ended up buying a POS 6 cylinder 75 chevy nova for $250 and it turned out to be a good reliable car for 2-3 years.  drove it from Colorado to North Carolina.

hemihead

A local dealer here let me " test drive" A new Shelby Charger for a weekend. Just put dealer plates on it and off I went.I went back on Monday after the paperwork was finalized and signed it all.I often wondered what they would have done if I decided to beat it , then tell them I didn't like it? lol
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69_500

A new SHELBY Charger? Was this in the 80's?

andy74

in some states,when they "spot deliver"a car,the finance may not be in place.when i lived in florida,it was actually a common practice at some stores.usually the f and i crook will think he can get it bought,or the sales manager will hope that after driving the car and showing it to their freiends and neighbors,that the guy will take the payment bump.if he was driving the car on a dealerplate,he is shit out of luck,but if they transfered his plates he needs to see a lawyer.if this is someone you know have him call me,or e mail me,ill help him with the proper channels to go through,my office number is 315-487-6211,or e mail me at andy72charger@aol.com!
      like i said in a previous thread,there are a lot of sneaky bastards in this bizz,being uninformed is the worst mistake you can make.i am actaully thinking of statring a consultaion buissness,where i can help people buy and sell cars, dont want to finance/bankroll any one,just help,for a small amount of cash!!

Darkness

Thanks everyone. Well, looks like he was able to get a lawyer and he got his truck back. So, now its waiting to go to court.