News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper Not Working

Started by troutstreamnm, January 15, 2010, 10:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutstreamnm

I just did a complete rewire of my 70 Charger using M&H harnesses.  Everything seems to be working, but my 3-spd wiper motor.  Now the connector on the harness for the wiper motor did not match the connector on the motor, so I just made new connections to hook up to the harness side (see pic).  The wire colors were the same, just different male/female connectors.  I'm not sure if my wiper motor, switch or something else is the problem.  How can I short the wiper motor to test it?  Also the harness has two connectors (brn w/ white tracer and solid brn-see pic) that come off the wiper motor harness that are currently orphans. What are these for?  Thanks for the help.
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Nacho-RT74

thats two speeds harness.

three speeds harnes are part of the motor assembly
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

troutstreamnm

So will this wiring not work with this wiper?  I don't understand why it doesn't power the wiper at any of the switch positions?  Need help  :scratchchin:  Thanks!
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

TylerCharger69

isnt one of those orphaned connectors supposed to connect the transmission backup lights??? :shruggy:

b5blue

There is a breaker INSIDE the switch check for continuity at the switch first (Per FSM checks for position of rocker sw.)  :scratchchin: this is a 70 correct?

troutstreamnm

Yes, it's a 70.  So what are my options?  Thanks for the help!
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

b5blue

Do you have a Factory Service Manual? There is a "trouble shooting" section that's quite thorough. I know 2 speed inside and out, but 3 speed not so much  :scratchchin: First just look for volts any where and check grounds.

troutstreamnm

Thanks Neal.  I did check for voltage at the connection going to the wiper motor (ie downstream of switch).  There is full voltage (13-14V) on the red wire with the switch on, but I don't see any voltage from any of the other three wires.  I hooked a jump from the (+) battery terminal directly to the motor (red wire) and tried grounding each of the other wires, but that did not do anything.  That might of been the wrong idea, but I thought the switch might close the circuit when in position.   :shruggy: Thats when I came here for more advise.  BTW, the motor/switch worked normally before I started the rewire project, but I did do some clean up work on the motor and used liquid tape on some exposed wiring at the motor.  I'll check the FSM and thanks for any other ideas.  :yesnod:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

troutstreamnm

FINALLY.... I figured it out  :brickwall:  The wiring diagram shows a bn* (brown w/tracer) wire from the switch to the bulkhead.  Which is exactly what the wiring harness has.  On the engine side the wiring diagram shows a plain brown wire from the bulkhead to the wiper motor.  Well the wiring harness connector for the wiper motor is wired w a bn* wire and not a solid brown.  I had an orphan brown connector on the engine side wiper harness that had continunity with the proper bulkhead connection and I hooked that up to the motor and got it to work  :boogie:  Must be something to do with differences between the 2-sp and 3-sp engine side harness?  :shruggy:  Anyway, I think I'm good now and thanks for the help....it got me to really study the wiring diagram and figure it out. This is why I'm not an electrical engineer  :smilielol:   
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

b5blue

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Gotta love having wipers!  :yesnod: