News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Leaf Springs?

Started by dodgecharger72, January 25, 2010, 03:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger72

I should be receiving some financial aid grants soon soo..... I want to upgrade some of my suspension :icon_smile_big: The first thing I want to do is get a new leaf spring setup and I would really appreciate your guys input.  I have a '72 with a 360 but I plan on putting a big block in there when I graduate. My goal is to get the car completely set up for a big block these next couple years to make the BB transition as painless as possible (suspension, Dana 60, brakes, etc).
          I have really been interested in the Calvert mono-leaf/Caltracs setup. I read the thread by SFRT and he seemed very impressed with them. This car will not be raced so i contacted Calvert and they said that this setup would work just fine on the street. I am also thinking of just getting some XHD springs from ESPO. I am a little leery of MP springs due to all the bad reviews.
          Any thoughts? thanks guys

Beer

Caltrac monleaf here, still in assembly phase, so I have no ride feedback yet.

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

dodgecharger72

Thats a beautiful car beer. How does it sit with the mono leafs?

Beer

Keep in mind the engine/Tranny is not in yet so the stance remains to be seen.

These pics are before I put the new police wheels and tires on.

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

dodgecharger72

How hard was it to install the mono leafs in place of the multi leafs? I have read that that can be a pretty big hassle

gers1968rt

I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Yeahmate

Another vote for the caltrac system, I used some rubber hose, cut and split it and put on pin on the pin of bell crank deal, adjusted the clearance to 1/4'' for the street. They give a good ride. I also opted for a 1'' drop as well, no disappointments here, with them.
Although not pictured here, I also changed the bell crank plates for low profile

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Yeahmate

SFRT

I have been running the caltracs and monoleafs for over a year they are fantastic.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

HPP

Perhaps it is because there are a number of people who are disatisfied with the factory HD springs.

Mike DC

The springs from MP have sagged on some people lately.  Seems like the dedicated springs companies (Eaton, etc) would be a better bet for buying stock leafs.

IMHO the big advantage of the monoleaves for street usage is probably just the weight.  The factory 6-leaf springs are whole lot of unsprung weight on the rear axle.  Not a big deal but it might help the ride smoothness enough to notice it. 

BTW:  XV Motorsports did all that hi-tech testing and decided that the factory 6-leafs were stiffer than they wanted.  I think they're going with 5 leaves for their level#1 package deals now. 

Brock Samson

there is the super stock spring option that I and others here run,.. a bit bumpy perhaps, but she hooks up like right now,. no squat so all the motion is forward..  :shruggy:

BubBABFP

I just installed a new set of MP XHD springs on my 68 Charger, due to the originals being completely shot and leaning badly. Now that the news ones are installed the rear came up again and has a very nice stance, even if they sag a little like some say its fine with me because I am going for a touring street look with 18" wheels, it has a 318 but will get a 440 in the next month. It was a PITB to change without air tools.

elacruze

I have a 28 year old set of Direct Connection S/S springs...still hook hard and the ride height is right where I want it now...  :scratchchin:

It remains to be seen if they're going to be stiffer than I want for long distance touring, although I'll probably use standard size cop tires on all four corners, that should help. Monoleaf is an option I'm watching, since I'll have the Cal-Trac either way.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.