News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just getting a feel for how yall feel about your cars

Started by The Ghoul, December 05, 2005, 06:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of car person are you?

Has to be numbers matching, and stock.
Give me a piece of junk that I can afford and have fun with… shiny is over rated.
Shiny paint and more muscle than stock.
What ever I can get my hands on.

The Ghoul

Reading all the posts it seems to me there are still some hard core numbers matching all stock people. I just want to see how many are hard core stock compared to the rat rodder mind set.

Blown70

Well mine has nothing stock left on it....other than the sheet metal... Maybe I'll stamp the aluminum block so it matches the car...LOL

The Ghoul

Quote from: Blown70 on December 05, 2005, 07:01:59 PM
Well mine has nothing stock left on it....other than the sheet metal... Maybe I'll stamp the aluminum block so it matches the car...LOL

I like it I like it!!

TK73

"Give me a piece of junk that I can afford and have fun with… shiny is over rated."

I prefer primer...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

I'm pretty much whatever I can get my hands on. Rare cars I think should be left pure stock if there was less then 10 made or so. Other wise, build it the way you want and save all the original stuff like I'm doing mine.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: TK73 on December 05, 2005, 07:20:19 PM
"Give me a piece of junk that I can afford and have fun with… shiny is over rated."

I prefer primer...

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...............that's the state color here in Georgia! ;D

Flat black of course!

BBD

xs29j8Bullitt

I am happy that I have some "number matching" cars, but in the big picture it is not very important to me...   Several number matching cars I own would be sold long before I would sell my non-number matching A4 Platinum 4 Speed 1969 Hemi Road Runner.   I have a final three list of my cars that I would not sell unless it was necessary to keep a roof over my head or food on the table.   Of the three cars, two have the original engines and one has the original transmission (the one without the NM engine)... so none of the three are completely numbers matching.

I have even less concern about date codes... I will dig through a pile of alternators to try to find a good date code, but not spend weeks on the Internet trying to locate one.

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

ron73440

mine is ugly but fast, eventually she might get a facelift but I'm too busy with performance to worry about looks until I get a lot more time and money for that. BTW cudaeh do you still have that 73 you were workin on?
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC

694spdRT

I restored my '69 R/T to stock mostly specs but, the drivetrain isn't numbers matching. They were long gone by the time I got the car. I built the engine up to look stock but, the block has been decked, balanced the rotating assembly, heavily ported and polished the 906 heads and installed oversize valves, port matched the stock intake and exhaust manifolds, used an Engle K56/K58 cam, and a 800cfm Eddy AVS.

I like street machines too and will probably build up the '68 a little bit. I did want one nicely done stock Charger though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

blade trinity

I like owning the Blade Trinity Charger. I've got alot of $$$ in to it but if it wasn't the car it is, i would want to go with #'s matching even if it costs $$$

Ghoste

There's a place for concour's and a place for beaters.  I pretty much like anything with an engine.  ;D

Lowprofile

I have a 70 R/T thats pretty rough, and the original drivetrain is long gone.  So I'll be going Resto-mod with my car. I'm going to build it my way with whatever options I want on it.

Its the only way to fly! :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

41husk

I really like to have one of each to cover all my bases
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

4402tuff4u

I have to admit that there is something attractive to a number matching car. That's why it took me two years to finally find mine in Georgia and it's a California car! Thanks to Neil (Chryco) and all the members here, I'm in the process of restoring the Charger R/T back to what it was in it's youth. Neil is helping me spice up the 440 from the original hefty 375hp to a higher output engine - HP to be confirmed by dyno once it's all back together. From the outside the engine will look stock. Some of the non-matching cars or slightly modified Chargers I saw in Carlise and local car shows are just awesome, including some owned by members here and would probably draw more attention and downright out-perform a stock Charger R/T. That's fine with me, but there is still that number matching aspect I find very appealing and attractive.  :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

BLACKWOLF

all black w/ limo tint windows. all blacked out chrome, headlight and tail-light covers. black stock car wheels
                 aka: "BLACKWOLF"
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

The Ghoul

Quote from: ron73440 on December 05, 2005, 09:28:13 PM
BTW cudaeh do you still have that 73 you were workin on?
yep, its still a very slow build but ive got some new ideas and when its all done i think it will be a good blend of the old vs. new. I cant wate to get back home and start welding some metal into place!

Silver R/T

it has to be a hot rod for me, more power the better it is for me
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The Ghoul

Looks like the balance between power and looks wins.
I still love the ratt rod's but i must admit my charger will look as good as it runs but its not a hang up for me.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

golden73

I don't care much for numbers matching unless its a rare car. I'm all about hot rodding, but I also like the cars with a nice paint job and overall appearance.

I am gonna build a nasty engine first and then worry about the cosmetics later. That's the best way to do it in my mind  :icon_smile:

bull

IMO it depends on several factors:

1. The hand you're dealt
2. The car's condition
3. Your budget
4. Your skill level
5. Your future plans for the car

These cars aren't growing on trees so you kind of have to go with what you can find depending on the rarity. I'd say if you find a Charger with no engine and trans and it was a 318 auto the sky's the limit to what you can do depending on what you can afford and how much you can do yourself. But if you find an R/T and it's got the original engine in it you're more likely to try keeping it original.  I searched for almost two years to find a nice '68 and when I found it the car was 98% complete and turned out to be a very rare combination with the original engine so I feel somewhat obligated to bring it back to its original state. That said I do plan on changing some things to fit my tastes because I plan on keeping the car for a very long time.

Danny Gutierrez

I'm the second owner of my 69 and I still have the original 318 that came with the car.  Now I could rebuild the 318 and even put on the original 14 inch wheels but I would NEVER do that.  This car means more to me than most people realize as it was the car I grew up in, but I still intend to "make it better" than stock until I give it to my son.   :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

Skyview69

To each his own. Personally...I think it should be done however you want it.
It aint how it shows....its how it goes :yesnod:

Ponch ®

Quote from: BLACKWOLF on December 06, 2005, 09:14:26 PM
all black w/ limo tint windows. all blacked out chrome, headlight and tail-light covers. black stock car wheels
                         aka: "BLACKWOLF"

a 3rd gen would look bad ass like that.

my Charger isnt a piece of MOPAR exotica by any means, so if   money and know-how were no object, I'd go for a modern customization - anyone remember that dark green '73 from a couple of years ago that had a GPS system, custom interior, etc? I have some pics it took of it at a show a few years ago but theyre old fashioned prints and I dont have access to a scanner...

my current plan for the Charger (if I ever get to it), is to gut the interior (but keep all the panels, etc. in case some day I do wanna restore it), throw a roll cage in it, some race seats, and go for the stripped-down-to-the-bare-essentials race car look.

Now, If i had something like an R/T car, I'd probably try to keep it as close to stock as possible, and any mods done to it would be reversible.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger Steve

MIne just happens to be an all numbers matching car that I have owned for 33 years. It is a 68 Charger with 383, 727 auto with console,power everything including a.c. with 37,000 miles on the odometer. I drag raced it in the 70's and then stored it for over 20 years. In 2002 I began a restoration back to original condition. It was finished in 2005 and is now a show car and summer driver. To modify it or somehow change it's originality would be a shame, but this is only because of the particular circumstances of this car. There are some cars that rightfully should be modified and enjoyed as a person wants. Every car is different, all are meant to be enjoyed as the owner wishes. I would like to build a 68 Super Bee, original or clone. I think all Mopars deserve a second chance in life if possibile.
Charger Steve