News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 1/4 posi???

Started by original72, December 05, 2005, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original72

just got the car running a few months ago after it was sitting over 20 years..... got it tuned and in the parking lot so figured... lets give it a lil gas..... its a 72 SE originally 400 2 barrel..... pretty sure only a 8 1/4...... but anyway... as i gave it gas and the tires broke loose.... it left marks from both instead of just one..... now my question is did they make 8 1/4 posi's???? found a tag on the outside cover and the gears are 2.71's

thanks for the replies in advance
Bill

74Charger

I have a 74' Charger SE also.  And mine has the exact same engine rearend combo with a suregrip.  I am getting ready to swap it out for a 8 3/4".   I already have the housing out of a 72' Roadrunner.  Just need all the rest.  Should be a pretty easy swap.  I HOPE!!
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

RallyeMike

Quotedid they make 8 1/4 posi's

No. But they made 8-1/4 sure grips!   :icon_smile:

QuoteShould be a pretty easy swap.   I HOPE!!

If I remember right, the centering pin for the perches to sit on the leafs is a larger diameter in the 73-74 cars. If so, swap in the 72 RR springs or hog out the holes in the 72 8-3/4 perches to fit. Everything else slides right in.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chryco Psycho

the shoe is bigger on the 73-74 cars due to the added rubber isolator , the older diff will bolt right in without the isolators & Use ne U bolts K