News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

21 trailers of parts & cars bought

Started by MyMopar, December 06, 2005, 12:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

Not sure if this is a repost, but becuase it isn't about Mopars I put it in the off topic area.   This guy came across 21 trailers of cars and parts.   Read the story at the end is a link to pics.

Fisette had no idea whether he was buying King Tut’s tomb or Al Capone’s vault when he agreed to buy 21 trailers said to be full of Corvettes and Chevrolet muscle cars and parts. Luckily, all of the rumors he had heard whispered around his northeast Wisconsin home turned out to be more true than he ever dreamed.

So far, Fisette, a De Pere, Wisconsin, restorer and automotive repair shop proprietor, has opened 17 of the 21 sealed trailers one-by-one and found a Yenko Camaro with 45,000 miles; a pair of low-mileage 1970 LS-6 Chevelles; a 1972 Camaro Z/28; two 1957 Corvettes, one a fuel-injected car, the other a dual-four-barrel-equipped example; and several other Chevrolet performance cars. Filling in the space around the cars like water around pebbles is an inventory of NOS and used performance parts that would make a Nickey Chevrolet parts manager jealous, and Fisette is not done cracking trailers open. He’s also confident there’s more muscle hidden in the trailers.

How the trailers came to be full of new Corvette side exhaust systems, factory Corvette race parts, and highly desirable engines and parts is as interesting as the man who filled them.

Donald Schlag’s passion for Chevrolet performance cars, even when they were new, gave him the foresight to realize that someday, others would have just as much interest in them. So while he was working at his father’s John Deere dealership, Green Bay Implement, Schlag began buying the parts from the local Chevrolet dealer’s parts counter in the 1960s and stored them at the John Deere dealership. He also made annual trips to California, pulling a trailer behind an RV for a month at a time in order to retrieve more parts for his stash. When his father died and the dealership was liquidated in the early 1970s, he tucked the parts and cars in semi trailers.

But when the very people who Schlag was saving parts for betrayed him by stealing a part, Schlag stopped sharing his collection. He even went so far as to completely seal the trailers off once they were full. By butting the trailers up against each other, not even he could go back in them. Schlag also stopped driving the cars he collected after one of his Corvettes was keyed in a parking lot. From that point on, he swapped the engines and slipped the cars into the trailers, never to be gazed upon again.

Many local car collectors believe the reason why Schlag pulled the engines from his cars and installed a different engine before he put them away was to thwart thieves, since the cars wouldn’t be numbers-matching. Even rare parts, like a first-generation race Corvette gas tank, was separated from its two filler neck pieces and its parts spread between three trailers. Another theory to explain why Schlag swapped and separated engines was because he predicted the engines would be worth more than the cars, so he pulled the hot engine from most of the cars and put a slightly less desirable engine in its place.

“He’d talk about what he had, but he didn’t brag and he didn’t sell anything,” said Fisette, who met Schlag before his June, 2005, death on two occasions. Through these brief interactions, people began to piece together what he had hiding.

“There was a rumor that Don would remove your big-block and install a small-block [as a gas-saving measure during the second fuel crisis],” Fisette said. This would explain why about half of the engines Fisette has uncovered are big-block Chevrolet engines.

Upon learning that Schlag passed away, Fisette took a chance on acquiring the collection and contacted Schlag’s family.

“I called her [Schlag’s sister’s] number, told her my name, and said I’d buy everything and told her I had the capability to buy and disperse it all,” Fisette said. After checking with other hobbyists, Schlag’s family decided that Fisette was the right person to buy the collection.

“We were so lucky to find Larry,” said Joanne Stepien, Don Schlag’s sister. “I received several phone calls [from people interested in buying the collection], so I took their names and numbers. I had about five different people to choose from.” Stepien then researched the reputations of each party, and Fisette was the only person to come back with stellar credentials.

“I hadn’t seen inside any of the trailers. I did it all on Donny’s reputation,” Fisette said. “The first trailer I opened had two [1970 Chevelle] LS-6s in it,” he said. "It was absolutely total amazement.” The Chevelles were parked bumper-to-bumper in the trailer, and the first he gazed upon was a gold four-speed, bench-seat car that Fisette soon realized was the LS-6 Chevelle his neighbor bought new. Fisette even remembers the day the neighbor brought it home from the dealership and showed it to him. Regardless of his memory of the car, Fisette prefers the Chevelle parked in front of the gold, four-speed car: a blue Chevelle with bucket seats and an automatic transmission, which he considers more driveable.

Unearthing the Yenko Camaro shortly thereafter was obviously an exciting experience for Fisette, but it was opening a trailer full of factory performance engines that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

“The most exciting moment was when I opened up a trailer and saw shiny engines up one side and down the other, and then two stacked shelves of them,” Fisette recalled. More than 150 high-performance engines have been found, in addition to 14 nice, low-mileage cars, but the bulk of trailers contain parts. And lots of them.

Since finding the trailers, Fisette has organized the parts in a warehouse to best determine what he has. While looking down the line of engines, Fisette smiled at a complete engine for a 1969 Camaro Z/28 engine and asked, “Isn’t that pretty? It’s a DZ-302 that’s complete down to the breather!” The Camaro 302-cid engine is one of approximately six such engines he’s found, and he’s hopeful that it and many of the other engines will land back in the cars they originally came from, right down to the cast-iron COPO 427-cid engine block he’s found.

“I think it’s going to give people a chance to make their cars correct,” he said. One hobbyist has already contacted Fisette to ask if he has the original engine to his Nova, which was sold to Schlag many years ago following an engine transplant. Although Fisette plans to sell all of the parts in one lot, he said he would try to reunite the Nova owner with his car’s original engine.

For Fisette, the hunt was more fun than the catch, and he wants to share that experience with fellow car collectors. Pointing to a 1958 Corvette radio, he said, “Imagine how happy this is going to make somebody.”

A happy man himself, Fisette is thoroughly enjoying the challenge presented to him. “I’ve done nothing but empty trailers since September,” Fisette said while surrounded by all the parts he’s organized in his warehouse. “I walk in here and feel like Scrooge McDuck. I can remember as a kid thinking, ‘I’d kill for a four-speed.’ Now look how many I have got!”

Finding such parts continues to be a treasure hunt in itself. Each time he opens a trailer, Fisette doesn’t know if he’ll find it filled cars or SS wheels hanging from the ceiling, engines lining the walls, and 55-gallon drums filled with performance heads and crankshafts. And even when he finds a trailer loaded with cars, he’s never sure if he’ll find another stash of fuel-injection units or Corvette knock-off wheels in the cars’ trunks as he has on several occasions.

Regardless of his few interactions with Schlag, Fisette feels he’s come to understand the man, and if he’s right, there are more surprises great cars and parts waiting to be found. One of those potential surprises may be another Yenko car. Fisette has found a rust-free front clip for a Nova in one trailer, a hubcap center specific to a Yenko Nova in another trailer, and he’s heard that Schlag owned a Yenko Nova with a damaged front clip. Combined with the fact he has a title and keys to a Nova, Fisette is confident he’ll soon uncover another muscle car icon from the Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, dealership. “I’ve really got to know him through this puzzle,” Fisette said.

http://www.depereautocenter.com/parts.html

Charger_Fan

I posted it a few days ago, along with the story from one of the other guys that was trying to get ahold of it too.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6506.0.html

I'm glad you found an accounting from the guy who ended up with the treasure. What a lucky bastid! ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69_500

What bothers me about stories like this, is that the guy who winds up with the parts now, is always one who wants to flip them all. So how do they figure he is the right one to get to purchase all the trailers. I'd only sell them with a stipulation in writing that says you can't resale more than 15% of the inventory in the next 15 years. That way it would be to someone who truly cares about the stuff and not about making a $.

nh_mopar_fan

That makes no sense. Those big blocks are better off sitting for more years vs the chance of being reunited with the rest of the car?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 69_500 on December 06, 2005, 02:21:36 PM
What bothers me about stories like this, is that the guy who winds up with the parts now, is always one who wants to flip them all. So how do they figure he is the right one to get to purchase all the trailers. I'd only sell them with a stipulation in writing that says you can't resale more than 15% of the inventory in the next 15 years. That way it would be to someone who truly cares about the stuff and not about making a $.
I agree with you to a point...however, with a stash the size of this one, regardless of who ends up with it, the majority of is bound to be flipped. Just because there's so much!

I'd like to hear what the family's deciding factor was on this guy's "stellar credentials" over the other folks in the running. Maybe the other folks were even more likely to flip the stash for a tidy profit? :shruggy:
Maybe whoever ends up buying it all from this guy will be more interested in finding the rightful homes for those engines & trannies.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Thats the nature of the Muscle Car "Business" these days. Guys and Girls like us {on this board} are in it for the love of our cars and the lifestyle that comes with it.......
But , today, so many are in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$...... It truly has placed a dark cloud over the Hobby. :rotz:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

69_500

I'm always pestering a friend of mine who has quite a stash of the same sort of things except in Mopars. I do think that when his time comes however I'll have an inside bid on his stash of cars and parts. Only thing is that I only want a few of the cars, but I wouldn't buy any I wasn't interested in having for a very long time.

MOPARHOUND!

What's the old saying......"You can't take it with you".

At least he preserved it for another generation. 

Hopefully the parts and cars go to good homes. 
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Brock Samson

TWENTYONE TRAILORS!!!!!!  :o MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!