News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's Put A Windshield In And Knows How To Do It?

Started by 69DodgeCharger, February 17, 2010, 11:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69DodgeCharger

Just wondering if anybody's done it themselves and how it turned out. And if successful how did you install it and with what sealants/tools/materials? I have a brand new gasket and a perfect original windshield. The glass man quoted me $135 and "assured" me their tech woudl be familiar with the windshield type and style and would have no problem with it.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 18, 2010, 04:43:39 PM
Spend the $$...worth the lack of aggravation  :Twocents:

I was already pretty much figuring on that but thougth I would ask first.

GTXtreme

have it done its worth it.  my first attempt took me over 4 hours and ended up tearing an $80 gasket and two small cratches on the a-pillar and then after all that i had to buy another gasket so just save yourself some money and aggrivation

tan top

yeah done mine also  ,  really a two man job  as the glass slides down & original glass is heavy , quite straight forward just remember the sealer before you put the  gasket in , also use new one  :yesnod:   but unless you have done this sort of thing before , get a glass guy  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

I've done them in the past but I'd spend the money... But then again I take most of my cars to someone else to change the oil.  :whistling:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

twodko

Spend the cash.....you'll be happy you did. Let us know. good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ryan

Its really not hard, just need to be careful and patient.  I used silicone on the gasket to frame of the car, then LOTS of soapy water to help slide the windshield into place. The only tool I remember using when I did my last one was a plastic panel popper tool. Kinda looks like a thin plastic stick that tapers down on the edges. Took me about 2 hours and I am far from a pro IMO. However $135 to have them do it isnt bad. I did mine myself because I could not get a shop to do it at my house or one that I felt realy knew what they were doing.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Ryan on February 18, 2010, 07:59:41 PM
Its really not hard, just need to be careful and patient.  I used silicone on the gasket to frame of the car, then LOTS of soapy water to help slide the windshield into place. The only tool I remember using when I did my last one was a plastic panel popper tool. Kinda looks like a thin plastic stick that tapers down on the edges. Took me about 2 hours and I am far from a pro IMO. However $135 to have them do it isnt bad. I did mine myself because I could not get a shop to do it at my house or one that I felt realy knew what they were doing.

This was the method I have heard of before Using dishsoap as a lubricant to slide the glass down in the channel and then using the plastic glass wedge to lift the sealing lip of the gasket up and over the outer surface of the windshield. At least that's how I think it is done? My buddy was wondering why you couldn't just do the rope trick with it like a rear pickup window?

If I remember right I read that you attach the gasket to the car body with the sealant, pushing the lower part of the gasket that runs along the bottom of the windshield down onto the metal pinchweld. Also I remember right there is a channel in the gasket specifically for this but it has been a long time since I read it.

resq302

If I remember correctly, there was some kind of sealer or butyl tape that was on the lower channel.  Does anyone have any pics of where this would go?  I am getting ready to reinstall the windshield and want to make sure the windshield company seals it up right.  I also noticed some flat open areas where the metal dash frame meets the cowl area.  What was those areas for?  Prior to removing my windshield, I had water leaks coming in around where the headlight switch area was and also on the pass side just to the right of the glove box.  Im thinking that my problem was with the leaks was that there was no sealant or butyl tape on the lower chanel.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 18, 2010, 09:32:39 PM
If I remember correctly, there was some kind of sealer or butyl tape that was on the lower channel.  Does anyone have any pics of where this would go?  I am getting ready to reinstall the windshield and want to make sure the windshield company seals it up right.  I also noticed some flat open areas where the metal dash frame meets the cowl area.  What was those areas for?  Prior to removing my windshield, I had water leaks coming in around where the headlight switch area was and also on the pass side just to the right of the glove box.  Im thinking that my problem was with the leaks was that there was no sealant or butyl tape on the lower chanel.

The stuff for sealing around the gasket was Liquid buytl. You could push tape around to seal it , but the liquid stuff can be had in a caulk tube and flows where it needs to very well.  The job can also be done with urethane,however I like the liquid buytl better myself.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

My first glassguy wanted to use a roap,what kind of method is that? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bill440rt

Per,
Using "rope", or a cord, is just a method used to help fit the windshield within the gasket.

Personally, I left installing the glass to a pro. I didn't want to mess with it, risk breakage, or leakage. Done once, done right, and worth the small amount it cost to just have them install it. Mine was also installed with urethane vs liquid butyl. I'm really not certain of the pros & cons of each, but it was just the method my glass installer preferred.

Here's a link to how it was done in my car:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39415.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on February 19, 2010, 08:48:27 AM
Mine was also installed with urethane vs liquid butyl. I'm really not certain of the pros & cons of each, but it was just the method my glass installer preferred.

Here's a link to how it was done in my car:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39415.0.html

The glass shop told me they aren't allowed to use butyl anymore for safety reasons. He said they would be using urethane also.

NMike

the glass shop is paranoid of lawsuits.

the newer cars all have urethane that holds the glass in place. the windshield is also a support member of the roof.

an old charger uses a rubber seal to hold the window in, and butyl as a sealant

some cheap guys used butyl instead of urethane on newer cars. in an accident the glass just fell out and bad things happened as a result. now most glass shops are scared to use butyl in almost anything for fear of an accident and the windshield coming out.

oldgold69

its worth the money if he guarantees the installation not to leak. but is there  a guarantee if he breaks the glass he'll replace it  usually they don't     as far as the rope trick that is when you install the window rubber into the pinchweld with the glass in the rubber that doesn't work well on the mopars  work great on old vw bugs or old gm pickups 

b5blue

3M Bedding and Glazing Compound part # 08509 just like factory. It goes between body and gasket, then the gasket and glass hence "bedding" (to body) and "glazing" (to glass) Many newer cars use the glass as a stiffener for the body shell that's why urethane is used to bond. Old Mopars use butyl to seal for the different expansion rates of the body, rubber and glass.(it stays flexible)  From my hard experience it will leak if the glass is not sealed to the rubber sooner or later.  :eek2:  It's in the FSM. The worry for me would not be the urethane leaking but if a repair is needed getting rid of all the old urethane to effect repairs.  :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Another reason that the glass guys have urethane pounded into there heads is that the windshield is an important part of the air bag system on newer cars. if the airbag blows and the w/s isn't there or is blows out the airbag wont be directed to the right area of the the passengers body . Very impartant on modern cars......Not so much on older cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

resq302

Was there extra bedding and glazing compound put on the lower channel of the windshield to prevent leaks there?  I seem to remember seeing somewhere about putting a strip of something down in the bottom channel.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

there are only 3 small tabs that the gasket secures to on the bottom. If you don't use some kind of sealer there it will leak.

Rob R

I run a sealant along the bottom of the channel to seal the gasket to the body and also a VERY THIN bead inside the window channel in the gasket as most re pop gaskets allow water to pass under the glass...
I use hickory sticks (like a thin version of a construction pencil) or plastic sticks 1/8 thick or even body putty applactors...Takes me on average 10 min to install a window by myself..
lay the glass in the bottom...soapy water on the sides work the gasket up from the bottom to almost the top corners .. then the top from the center out to the edges using soapy water...you'll have to push the gasket out from the inside while still working the gasket from the outside when it comes to the corners...once you get the top corner in the rest of the side will fall in place...that's the way I do it...

Now you have to send me $10.00 every time one of you guys installs a window from now on... :yesnod: I'll know...I'm kinda like Santa that way...if you guys don't send me the money your window will crack :nana:

b5blue

The bedding and glazing goes 360*. At the bottom a wider bead is fine.  :2thumbs:

resq302

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 20, 2010, 08:39:19 AM
there are only 3 small tabs that the gasket secures to on the bottom. If you don't use some kind of sealer there it will leak.

After checking into this, I noticed that openings under the 3 small metal tabs actually go into the cowl area which drains out through the rocker panels.  There is about 4 or 5 recessed areas where the dash meet the cowl area that are fairly large holes that go into the interior of the car.  This is probably where the water leaks come from.  I am thinking of running a strip of butyl tape along where the dash meets the lower windshield channel to help prevent a leak.
Brian

b5blue

The tape may press out on the gasket as it will not smash fat like the sealant.