News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XV Level 2 - anybody know what brakes it uses?

Started by defiance, February 18, 2010, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

So I'm one day away from being able to order an Alterktion kit for my charger.  I'm almost giddy with excitement at this point!  When the body shop cost went so unexpectedly high last year I had to use the money I had put aside for the alter-k, and thought I was just going to have to give it up...  but things worked out and it looks like I'll get it after all!

BUT

I just saw that XV lowered the price of their level II kit.  Now it's priced more like a step up from the alter-k instead of ... erm... 7 or 8 steps :P :)  And so I'm considering it...

I think I'm still going to go with the alterk, but I want to really look at this decision very closely (it's far too much money to take a chance on regretting it later!), and there are two reasons I think I'm going to stick with the alter-k.  One is the welding and shock tower modification required with the XV piece.  I can handle that, but I just had the engine bay cleaned up and painted with the rest of the car, so I REALLY don't want to have to go back to the body shop.  But I still might consider it ... until... 

I looked at the brakes.

WOW they're expensive.  $3k for the level II kit.  I know they put a lot into their stuff, but when an extremely high-end aftermarket kit is normally $1800 and you can get 4-piston caliper/12" rotor kits for under $600, that's a LOT of money for brakes...  But the one thing I couldn't find on their site was - does the level-II suspension require the level-II brakes?  I would think they would use some kind of standard mounting configuration, but it's never mentioned if so, or what config.  I'm assuming it's not stock mopar mounting configuration, which means the level-I kit won't work with it. 

Anyway, the l-II suspension kit is really looks awesome, and with the new price it's actually pretty tempting in spite of the modification needed... but I just can't see past those brakes unless it's a standard mounting config (meaning reasonably priced aftermarket kits would work).

Does anyone know?

Yeah, I'll send an email to XV as well, just wondering if anyone here had experience/opinions...

Rolling_Thunder

They appear to be 6 piston  Calipers - a two piece design...    That will be why the cost is so damn high...      A very similar set up can be made for cheaper (something I am currently doing)

My bet would be this stuff is standard C5 Vette stuff as that is pretty much a standard for the aftermarket...     

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

defiance

Ah, well, I took another look, and I just don't think I want to mess with that welding anyway... and besides, looking at the alter-k, what are the chances I'll ever regret that?? :D   So, got the front end and 4-piston brakes on the way.  I'm giddy! :)

Still, if there we knew what kind of brakes the xv kit took, and if brake kits are available for it pretty reasonable, it's actually in a much more justifiable position cost-wise now that they've dropped the price.  As long as you're willing to do the modifications, of course.

Anyway, can't wait!! :)

Rolling_Thunder

congrats man!  I can't wait to get my brake kit done and on the car - I'm selling some parts to help afford my ideas but no one seems to be buying   haha   

suntech

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: suntech on February 20, 2010, 02:05:37 AM
XV Level II is using Stop Tech brakes! :2thumbs:

Stop Tech = Brembo if I remember correctly - at least in most applications    :scratchchin:

suntech

QuoteStop Tech = Brembo if I remember correctly - at least in most applications

Not sure about that, but I thought it was different.  :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: suntech on February 20, 2010, 01:17:28 PM
QuoteStop Tech = Brembo if I remember correctly - at least in most applications

Not sure about that, but I thought it was different.  :shruggy:

Looking at them side by side they seem to be just re-labeled Brembos...   I have been wrong before though -  :rofl:

Blakcharger440

That is $5495 for their XV level ll kit! Wow,I didnt know it was that expensive to begin with. :o I also notice that the pic of the Level ll system is not what you get for that price either!  :o What they show in the pic has alot of extras on it.
Anybody purchase one yet? It would be interesting to find out how good the product is. Not that I could afford one at that price.

defiance

yeah, but it used to be nearly $8k :) so $5500 looks a LOT better than that :P
Also, on the brakes - I was just curious what brake *mount* configuration they used, not what type of brakes the $3k kit includes.  $3k for a brake kit is just too much responsibility for me, so I was thinking maybe some other kit could be found that would work in the <$1k range.  If it's a corvette style I'm guessing not, since even OEM probably costs more than $1k, and I'm guessing aftermarket brake manufacturers don't spend a lot of time making downgrade parts for high-end sports cars :D

Anyway, the point is moot for me, since my alter-k is ordered anyway :)

Ryan

From looking at the XV level II set up it looks like it uses alot of vette stuff. Lower A-arms look like the same ones on my Zo6, the brakes they use "look" like the C6 Zo6 brakes I have on my car (14" rotor, 6 piston caliper) however they must use a custom rotor because the vette rotor has a different lug pattern than dodge.

Anyways the C6 Zo6 calipers can be had for alot less then XV charges, also they bolt right up to the c5 spindles that I believe XV uses in the level II kit. I cant imagine getting rotors would be too hard :cheers:
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ryan on February 21, 2010, 06:36:46 PM
From looking at the XV level II set up it looks like it uses alot of vette stuff. Lower A-arms look like the same ones on my Zo6, the brakes they use "look" like the C6 Zo6 brakes I have on my car (14" rotor, 6 piston caliper) however they must use a custom rotor because the vette rotor has a different lug pattern than dodge.

Anyways the C6 Zo6 calipers can be had for alot less then XV charges, also they bolt right up to the c5 spindles that I believe XV uses in the level II kit. I cant imagine getting rotors would be too hard :cheers:

Those Calipers are not the Z06 calipers ---  at least they don't look like them from the limited photos they have up...       The Vette calipers are a monoblock design so they don't have any allen bolts holding the two halves together...       

That is a shallow rotor as well -  The disc kit I am making is less than 1/2 the cost they charge and runs a 14" rotor with a 6 piston caliper

Ryan

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 21, 2010, 11:47:00 PM

Those Calipers are not the Z06 calipers ---  at least they don't look like them from the limited photos they have up...       The Vette calipers are a monoblock design so they don't have any allen bolts holding the two halves together...       

That is a shallow rotor as well -  The disc kit I am making is less than 1/2 the cost they charge and runs a 14" rotor with a 6 piston caliper

Ya your right those aren't C6Z brakes, my mistake.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 21, 2010, 11:47:00 PM

HMMM...14 inch rotors you say. That sounds really interesting  :popcrn:

suntech

Supercharged Riot

Yeah. I want an XV level II front suspension set up as well.

Im battling the thought though because, for that price, I can buy another car of some sort.

I really want to upgrade my Charger's suspension.  I might have to sell off my 6-71 blower to get funding.

I have stock suspension riding on drum brakes right now.....braking is scary...very scary

six-tee-nine

I might assume that this level II kit limits the use of brake setups, but on stock suspension you can get alot of brake for alot less money.
A set of magnumforce spindles are $400ish, the ARE kit with 13" rotors, hubs and other hardware is just under $1000 if I recall correct. Then a set of good quality used Viper calipers are between $300/500.
Ok then you still need rear brakes but imo the Viper logo behind a rim on a classic mopar is unreal cool....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

HPP

Is there a motivating factor behind wanting the XV2 set up?  If it is simply improvements in road manners, you can get there with improvements in the stock stuff for just the price of the rotors in the L2 set up. You can get a 12" rotor inside 15" wheels which is what slows down the nascar boys. IMO, unless you in a class of racing that allows you the changes afforded by the XVL2 kit, it is just suspension bling. You will likely never utilize its full capability on the street.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on February 26, 2010, 07:42:19 PM
Yeah. I want an XV level II front suspension set up as well.

Im battling the thought though because, for that price, I can buy another car of some sort.

I really want to upgrade my Charger's suspension.  I might have to sell off my 6-71 blower to get funding.

I have stock suspension riding on drum brakes right now.....braking is scary...very scary

Don't sell the blower!      Just upgrade the factory suspension - put some discs on the front and enjoy the car --   if you need a hand you know where I am

Supercharged Riot

Hey right on Rolling_Thunder. Selling off the blower would be taking away part of the name of my whole car wouldn't it?

I still want my car to handle competitively though.  I guess Ill start with my brakes package first.  Actually. 
I need more money :brickwall:  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on March 02, 2010, 04:04:45 PM
Hey right on Rolling_Thunder. Selling off the blower would be taking away part of the name of my whole car wouldn't it?

I still want my car to handle competitively though.  I guess Ill start with my brakes package first.  Actually. 
I need more money :brickwall:  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

just take your time man - look at it this way -- Rome wasnt built in a day and Picasso did not paint to a deadline...   

Keep the blower - what do you ultimately want to do with the car ?  It can be made to handle fairly well with a stock suspension set up and just playing with the torsion bars, shocks, and sway bars....      plenty of guys out there run with great results ----     

If you want to go with a aftermarket set up - look up the AlterKtion kit    ----  The XV stuff is Gucci in my opinion...    does the same job but costs a lot more...   

HPP

Looking at the big/little tire combo you have, you're never going to get great handling capability regardless of the components underneath them. If your more oriented towards pro street than pro touring, than I'd say do the factory big disc upgrade for the front, maybe some good shocks, get more modern alignment sepcs under it, and see how that improves things.

Patronus

Congrats on the RMS!! I remember the look on my brother's face when he ordered his for a A body. 4K...gone...
SO worth it tho'!! He's running Baer f/r. We figure he's got 14K into only suspension and brakes. One sick car!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE