News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Considering selling Cuda...buying WRX Seriously! Advice?

Started by wetfeetmi, December 07, 2005, 06:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetfeetmi

I am getting bored with my Cuda. I am always looking for the next best thing and have had my eye on Subaru's WRX sedan for these awful lake effect winters here in Kalamazoo. Maybe it is the current weather that has me down, but it was too hot last summer to drive the Cuda anyway. I still have my Daytona project, so I won't be "Moparless". Does anyone drive a WRX? Rick

moparsons

I don't know anything about the wrx, but you already have a bad ass ride!!!

TruckDriver

I'm only about 4 hours from you, just give it to me so I can drive it :D It's been over 20 years since I even been in a Cuda.   :'(

But serously, I wouldn't just go and sell it on a splur. You might regret it. I know a few people that own Subarus, and they love them. But I still say just put the cuda away for a few years, the urge to drive it might be back by then.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

NYCMille

Blown70

I like the looks of your Cuda I really want one in a year or two unless I stumble on a great deal.

I say keep the CUDA....

I do not like the WRX look,  I have to admit they are fast little suckers.

Tom

73rallye440magnum

info on the cuda? Get started on the XX if you have the itch.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

greenpigs

Do you not not have a daily driver that can handle the weather? I have heard the WRX is a bit much for a daily driver that will see snow. Still that was the opinion of more than a few on the Subaru board I was hanging out at....don't ask.
  Does it have to be a WRX, how about some other AWD car?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

skip68

WRX will depreciate, CUDA'S will appreciate....I'd try to find another way to buy the WRX.     Chuck.............. :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

41husk

that is a sweet looking Cuda and the way ebody cars are valued it may be tough to get one back if you have seller remorce.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dkn1997

If you want to get rid of your cuda, that's one thing.   But to get rid of it FOR A SUBARU?   I just can't agree with that in a million years, no matter how much sense it makes.

Are you actually using the cuda for a winter car, or do you need it to finance the subaru purchase?

I would go out and get some POS winter beater before I got rid of an E body.   

Then again, I don't have a daytona waiting in the wings either.   maybe E bodies are like hundais to you XX people lol   :icon_smile_big: :)

good luck and that subaru is no joke, fast car.

RECHRGED

RTPTRON

That is a really nice Cuda.  Just keep the Cuda and use your new WRX as a daily driver.  My wife's daily driver is a 2002 WRX.  It is really quick and works great in the snow.  When we first bought it we were in Leavenworth, Washington and the roads were all snow packed.  We were driving through a snow park with no problem at all.  My wife said that it must not be slick because the car was so stable.  She gets out of the car to read the bulletin board and falls on her ass.

If I was buying a new WRX now I would go with the WRX STI.  It is a big jump in performance from the standard WRX.

Our WRX waggon will run with my 1968 Charger RT 440 in the short halls and will beat the crap out of it in a 0-60 run.  However, I would not trade my MoPar for one.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

sandmbmx88

the wrx is a nice car but its not the same leauge as the cuda. alot of my friends drive wrx's and im 18. would you rather have thier car or the one they dream about?

ChargerBill

HUH? Am I missing something...? You aren't serious are you?
Life is a highway...

sharpspike

battle creek here.

what do you want for the cuda if you decide to sell ?

Troy

Don't let other people spend your money and buy whatever will work out the best for yourself. If you can't drive the Cuda, are not comfortable in it, and/or are bored with it then buy a WRX - especially if you're going to have to drive in bad winter weather. I probably wouldn't say this if you didn't have a Daytona project because it's hard to be in the Mopar hobby without a Mopar. If you were to keep the Cuda and work on it then any money you spend is that much less that you'll be able to spend on the Daytona and it will take that much longer to finish both cars. I am quickly learning that multiple project cars is a bad idea. In my case, the payments and insurance on a new car eat up a lot more than I'd spend on fixing up the old one but I won't drive the old ones in the winter (nor can I walk to work). Besides, if you have an accident I'd rather see you wreck a WRX than the Cuda. :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Beer

Keep the Cuda and get a WRX.
I recently had my Vette dynoed at 308 HP at a ricer shop (closest Dyno), on the wall were a bunch of Dyno sheets over 400 HP, some were WRX's, they are certainly bad ass and moddable if your into that. As pointed out the WRX will deprecate, the Cuda will appreciate.

Hope whatever you choose works out fer ya!

Cheers
Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

wetfeetmi

I don't drive the Cuda at all. That is part of the problem. I had it in my garage all summer and moved it about 6 times. I have a truck (it's in the background of photo) that is my primary driver. I bought the Cuda a few years ago because it was just like the one I had when I was a kid. I just don't seem to enjoy it like I thought I would.
My wife tells me to hang on to it. She is less impetious than I am. She is probably right, but I am a little tired of driving the truck all the time too. We had an A-6 quattro a few years ago, and it was a joy in the foul weather. It was also a money pit. Thanks for the input... Rick

Blown70

Quote from: wetfeetmi on December 07, 2005, 06:04:49 PM
I don't drive the Cuda at all. That is part of the problem. I had it in my garage all summer and moved it about 6 times. I have a truck (it's in the background of photo) that is my primary driver. I bought the Cuda a few years ago because it was just like the one I had when I was a kid. I just don't seem to enjoy it like I thought I would.
My wife tells me to hang on to it. She is less impetious than I am. She is probably right, but I am a little tired of driving the truck all the time too. We had an A-6 quattro a few years ago, and it was a joy in the foul weather. It was also a money pit. Thanks for the input... Rick

Well, you have to make the call.  I personally would keep it this is from someone that sold his dream car 2.5 years ago.  I know you have another Daytona so you have to make the call on the cuda.

BTW looks like a nice one.!

89MOPAR

You should look at the STi  Model for sure, more features + horsepower , it would be worth it for the extra few thousand $ over the base WRX.

test drive the mitsubishi EVO IX  also, similar but different, head to head battles between the two usually come out as split decisions.

I recently drove a EVO VIII , it was damn fast, it just wanted to get the turbo spooling !   Handling = awesome  :o

Drove a regular WRX when they first came out [ 222 HP] , it felt slow compared to my then 300-320 HP turbo 4 cyl Conquest rear wheel drive, and the Conquest smoked a few WRX's on the street also, but the STi  is another league higher in performance.

Mazda also has a AWD 4cyl turbo rated at 274 HP that recently came out based on the 6 series.

I say drive them all , then choose.  You'll be able to get another Cuda in the future if you want one - your not using it anyway.  Plus like others have said , you still have a Mopar car for the V8 rumble.

One thing those turbo cars will deliver is torque... ;D

And dollar for dollar , you will get more HP per $$ spent on the WRX / EVO  than you would with the Cuda if you  modify them....
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

greenpigs

My goof I thought you were talking about the STI, stil sticking with what they said on the subaru board. That was a darkk time for me lurking around that place.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Spartan

I grew up about an hour north west of you.  I know it can be hard when you only drive it a few months a year but there is no satisfaction like getting her out on the road.  I know I go nuts in April when the snow is gone and the salt is off the road.  Cars like yours are hard to find so I would think twice about getting rid of it.  My speed fix for winter is the snowmobile so it ties me over till spring.  It is your decision but you do have a nice ride there.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

wetfeetmi

Spartan, I just bought a couple of Arctic cats to help us thru the winter. I am looking forward to my first ride in about 10 years. How are the trails looking up your way? I just looked up the maps on the web, and it looks like I can get all the way to Traverse City if I carry enough fuel! Rick

Blakcharger440

Whaaaat?!?? Selling a cuda for a WRX seems just wrong...but it is your money. I am personally not a WRX fan as I do not like the body style.

But lets not get too hasty here and make any quick snap decisions just yet.

Is there something you could do to the Cuda to make it more enjoyable for driving in the summer????   ???

rt green

geez, getting rid of a cuda?   need a gtx?  not good in the snow . no engine in it now
third string oil changer

ChargerBill

Couldn't you finance a used WRX and keep the Cuda as an investment? If you think of the Cuda in terms of it's growing value, it doesn't make a bunch of sense to get rid of it...the return is greater than most any investment out there. And just curious, why a WRX? Would a Civic, Prelude, Maxima, etc.. work for you? I mean, you can get one of those 4 to 5 years old (with a warranty) for a great price...and still keep a car that will continue going up in value, not depreciate like a new car. Sounds like you could learn a little patience from your wife...besides, do you REALLY want her telling you "I told you so" in 6 months when you're missing the Cuda or in 5 years when their value has doubled again and you wwish you still had it? Maybe go to her with the plan of buying a good reliable used car AND keeping the Cuda, and just make sure she knows that it's all YOUR idea.

Oh yeah, 3000GT's are also sweet, fast, and sporty and you can find them in AWD and you can pick up one in EXCELLENT shape for around 8K to 10K MAX...even cheaper. WRX's DO have an appeal, but really they are overpriced and there are a bunch of other cars out there that are far cheaper that would work for you just fine.

A side note: Funny you posted this... A buddy of mine down the street has a '71 Cuda, 360, 4sp...fire breather and he bought a wicked WRX about 8 months ago. He LOVES driving the WRX, but is getting rid of it because he drives TOO fast in it, uses too much gas with his lead foot, pays WAY too much for insurance and is sick of his buddies always asking him when he is going to drive the Cuda. Just thought you might like some insight... :D
Life is a highway...

wetfeetmi

Chargerbill, I looked at a 3000gt last weekend. It was more of a project than I was hoping for. It is a little "over the top" for me. The WRX is more subtle if it doesn't have that horrid monster fin on the trunk lid. I also like the Dodge Stealth.
The new Mazda 6 AWD is OK, but we almost never buy new. We drove a 5 series BMW a couple of months ago. It was AWD and the BEST car I have had the pleasure of driving. WOW! I will never pay $50k for a new car, though.

Spartan

Quote from: wetfeetmi on December 07, 2005, 09:41:09 PM
Spartan, I just bought a couple of Arctic cats to help us thru the winter. I am looking forward to my first ride in about 10 years. How are the trails looking up your way? I just looked up the maps on the web, and it looks like I can get all the way to Traverse City if I carry enough fuel! Rick

I live north of Detroit but I have a cabin just south of Houghton Lake.  They say there is enough to ride but the public trails will be pretty well be beat right now without much of a base.  Usually new-years is our first ride of the year.  We have 2 of them, both are Ski-doo's.  Mine is a Formula III 700 cc and my wife has a formula 500. We have had them for 7 years and are a blast.  Once the lakes are safe, doing some ice drags are fun.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Spartan

http://www.americanoakresort.com/trail.htm

Check out this link Wetfeet.  I use it for planning my sledding trips.  There are other links on that site that might be more useful if you are looking at the Traverse City area.  If you want, I have the web sites for the local TV stations there too since it is the same for my area. Hopefully its a good winter for snow, last 5 have been a little bare.

4402tuff4u

I would keep the Cuda over a WRX, but you are the only one who can really say. You know your needs and we have no clue of the circumstances and weather conditions you are driving in. Your family and your own safety is number one. Also your financial situation will dictate whether you need to sell it or not. Hate to see a member here having to sell his Mopar, but realistically probably another Mopar enthusiast will most likely buy it. Good luck on your decision.   
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

RT DAVE

That doesn't seem like that big of a compromise when you take into account that you still have a Daytona.   The WRX is supposed to be a pretty nice little rice rocket.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT