News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper technique for removing pits in Chrome and Aluminum

Started by 74charger360, February 24, 2010, 05:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74charger360

If tried searching through the forums for this but i can't seem to find anything.  I am pretty familiar with buffing and wetsanding paintwise but for some reason i can't seem to get the proper results in my efforts to remove pitting from the factory chrome.  Also when i bought the car the previous owner had but a set of polished aluminum rims on it that look pretty cool but due to the fact he let the car sit after that for a good 10 years they are pitted pretty badly.  I'm assuming the technique would be different in polishing these two metals.  does anyone have any suggestions or insight in this process?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  :icon_smile_big:

Matt

elitecustombody

All you need to do is sand pits out till smooth, as long as the pits are not so deep that after sanding them out it weakens the parts,high speed sander works well and some elbow grease will get the pitting out

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

74charger360

thanks elitecustombody! after sanding what type of polishes or compunds should i use to polish out the sanding marks and bring back the shine
these are what the rims looked like new and thats the finish im shooting for, as of now there just dull and pitted

elitecustombody

depending on how deep the pits are,I'd start with 180 grit and if it takes too long, go with 120 or 80, after 180 step up to 320 or 400,then finish with 600, pick up tripoli compound stick and hard sewn polishing wheel at Harbor Freight and go to town, I usually stop sanding with worn 320 or 400

here are some pics of my polishing work I did few months ago on my daily driver

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

74charger360

:drool5: omg that looks amazing!! thanks! nice supra btw.  Gotta love the imports, i have a 96 300zx.

y3chargerrt

74charger360

cause there a pain in the ass to work on !! lol not as much room as my charger  ;D , i pretty much have to drop the engine to do anything on the car, but i have to say that nothing beats pure american muscle :coolgleamA:

Cooter

Anything with 1000 Hp gets my attention even if it has "Toyota" or "Honda" on it, and those little "Hair dryers"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"