News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pinks on Speed - sandbagging, cool or no?

Started by GTX, December 07, 2005, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Ok guys I'd like to hear some input.
While watching Pinks on Speed channel I see some some of the guys are really sandbagging quite a bit.
Do you guys think this is fair or uncool?

Personally I think that when there is no dial in then a little sandbagging is fair but it seems to me that some of these guys are really punk about it. For instance, if you plan to spray then you should spray on all runs although maybe lifting up a little downtrack is ok. Turning on the tank only on your last round seems punk to me.
Hell you might as well just run a 10 second car against a 13 second car heads up then if you think that stuff is fair.

I see the many points pro and con about the finesse of street racing but this isn't street racing is it?

What do you guys think?

Blown70

Well for one some of the cars I have seen really would not pass road inspection.  Maybe I am wrong.

Second.  I would say too much would be at steak so they may do what ever they can to win,  thus sandbag.

I do not like it at all.

To me have two professional drivers drive the cars as hard as they will run.  If you do less than that (with in reason) you are out an lose your ride.  I know we all are not pros but I think you know what I mean.

Then let the drivers run em

Tom

Troy

The object of the game is to win the other person's car. Sandbagging is completely legal and part of the negotiations before each round. If you are honest you'll most likely be walking home. I've watched for a grand total of about 10 minutes over two episodes and saw absolutely nothing that interested me.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GTX

Yea, I guess I see what you guys are saying and I guess I'm operating under the misguided preconception that the cars would be pretty evenly matched to begin with.
If you have two cars that are pretty evenly matched and the only real variable is the driver then there is little room to really sandbag much.

Alls fair in the negotiation phase but I think that they should be pretty much need to be running as hard as possible right off the line in order to keep up with each other  - that makes a good race for me instead of seeing who can jerk chains the most.

Blown70

Quote from: GTX on December 07, 2005, 09:32:28 PM

Alls fair in the negotiation phase but I think that they should be pretty much need to be running as hard as possible right off the line in order to keep up with each other   - that makes a good race for me instead of seeing who can jerk chains the most.

Yes but I hate it.  Honestly has not been what I thought and I have not seen other than 2-3 episodes and really cannot handle any more.

Tom

71Charger500

I hate it when they spray.  That show should be nitrous free, it would show a lot more about the driver's and the car's abilities.
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

GTX

Personally I'm not a fan of nitrous or NiTrO or NAWWS as the ricers call it ::) but whatever they wanna do I guess.

It's a relatively cheap power adder. I'm more a fan of blown cars (who could have guessed?) but I agree, I'm getting tired of watching what I thought had potential to be a good show. I have to admit though that I'd never put my car up for pinks..that's just crazy talk!

Anyone here willing to go for pinks on there?

Blown70

89MOPAR

Half the show is about bluffing and gambling.

They try to come up with a sort of even match between vehicles. 
At least in the first few shows they gave the opponents time to check each others cars over, start em up , etc.
I've seen a few where the racers don't seem to have done that.

Knowledge is power, I'd be under the competitions car w/ a jack   [ and a hacksaw.... kidding :icon_smile_blackeye:]
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

doechsle

Pinks is supposed to be a spin off of real life street racing,it's not even close.I honestly cannot tell you how many times I street raced, deception is the highest priority.I was never good at sandbagging so I was constantly having to find more power and traction. We used to judge how many car legnth to give or take to win.These guy's should be able to determine for themselves what they want the next round and shouldn't need the host explainiong stuff to them like they were kids.They should ditch the host and just film the racers negotiating the next pass themselves.

ChargerBill

This is gambling, not racing. and bluffing is part of the game. Personally, I'd never do it.

On a side note, if the punk next to me sprayed on the LAST round I'd liken that to HUSTLING at pool and probably kick the living shit out of him... :icon_smile_dead:
Life is a highway...

Mopar440+6

I watched about half of the first episode and made the executive decision that "Pinks" is a load of flaming dog crap. Hate the show and wouldnt watch it if my life depended on it...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

greenpigs

Sounds like I didn't miss anything by not watching the show.

Street racing is about getting the drop on the other guy, wether by having more power or making him think he does, its mind games.

Sing with me: Playing those mind gaaames together.. pushing the barrier...planting seeds.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

GTX

I still watch the show although now more for comical relief and it is wearing thin, hence my post.

I just thought that if you were racing for pinks ( and I really wonder what sort of deals might be being made beforehand ) you would be lining up two cars of very close ability and therefore pretty much eliminating very much sandbagging or at least what I see on there.  I mean why even bother otherwise?
I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like they are sandbagging more than they should be able to for real competition and doing it just for the viewers.
When I raced on the street* I rarely messed around with anyone who couldn't give me a decent run and I certainly would never have run for pinks in the first place but never against someone who I thought was really sandbagging me or was obviously better/quicker than me.
It seems these guys have no clue what they are running against until show time and going for pinks??
That and the fact that it seems it's usually the same groups of guys challenging back and forth smells fake to me.

*Disclaimer:

To those who are still young, impressionable and stupid and also to my mother.
No, I never street raced. That would be wrong and illegal. ;)
Seriously, it IS stupid to street race.

71Charger500

Alot of the show seems to be fixed.  Almost every run it seems, something on one of the car's breaks, and it seems the winner is always the car that doesn't break something when they hit the gas.  Its also annoyingly dramatic, and some of the people are dicks.  The only reason I ever turn it on is for the cars.

71Charger500

Sorry about that, I don't know what happened.

69_500

I have watched the show a few time. I haven't figured out why it seems that everyone who races breaks something on their cars. Could it be because I have yet to see anyone race a MOPAR? I think its more than just chance that all these Fords and Chevies are breaking. They need to bring in a Mopar to mop up on them.

Just need someone else to be willing to race their car. Because I haven't seen anything on there yet to make me wanna put my 500 up against it.

doechsle

that was all a part of true street racing,you need to know the person and their abilities. I have won many a races against better cars to guy's who could not drive and I have lost some myself from my own mistakes.My motto was " all you have to do is get there first".You can look at some cars and quickly tell who is a perfectionist and who is a tape it together rigger.The tape togethers are more lokely to break.
   My best act of deception was my rev limiter on my tach. I would always go to get my car when someone wanted to race and when I pulled it in I would turn the limiter down to 4500 . I always made it a point to pull in at the lower enterance to the parking lot and stall the car up and launch it as it started to pop and sputter. When I got out I acted like something was wrong and I should not race and let the nagging begin.Only a few people noticed my car never missed a beat during the run and questioned the tach.