News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tip of the day for 3rd generation owners:

Started by TK73, December 08, 2005, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK73

When one of the wiper linkage bushings goes out, replace all four of those damn things.

One bushing crumbled last year (the easiest one to get to), so I replaced the damn thing.

Wipers go out last month.  The bushing off the motor crumbled. Now, I try lining the arm up to see where I'll have to align the thing when I get it back together.  Another bushing crumbles as I do this.

OK, go to Schucks Auto Store and get the HELP bushings (2 to a pack).

Get those on and find out I can not get the arm back on without taking BOTH wipers off the cowl.  Find another busing - about to cruble.  Now, I replace one last year, 2 yesterday and I should have an extra one SOMEF*****GWHERE.  BACK to the store...

a 5 minute job turning into 2 HOURS again... anybody want a '73 Charger driver?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Brock Samson

That's cause your a damn liberal!  ;) sorry man that sucks..

TruckDriver

:scratchchin: Well, being my car was in the desert south-west for all of its life, when I change the wiper motor because of its dry rotted wires, I should change all the bushings right away....Gotcha!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Bandit72

Quote from: TK73 on December 08, 2005, 08:09:46 PM
When one of the wiper linkage bushings goes out, replace all four of those damn things.

One bushing crumbled last year (the easiest one to get to), so I replaced the damn thing.

Wipers go out last month.  The bushing off the motor crumbled. Now, I try lining the arm up to see where I'll have to align the thing when I get it back together.  Another bushing crumbles as I do this.

OK, go to Schucks Auto Store and get the HELP bushings (2 to a pack).

Get those on and find out I can not get the arm back on without taking BOTH wipers off the cowl.  Find another busing - about to cruble.  Now, I replace one last year, 2 yesterday and I should have an extra one SOMEF*****GWHERE.  BACK to the store...

a 5 minute job turning into 2 HOURS again... anybody want a '73 Charger driver?

bandit interprets it as ..... "when the wiper bushings go out....don't drive in the rain...."

i had to do this on a 78 dodge pickup, i can only imagine what it'll be like on teh charger
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Grizzly

Quote from: TK73 on December 08, 2005, 08:09:46 PM

... anybody want a '73 Charger driver?

Ooh ooh I do I do!!!!! Make me a deal....:D

The Mad Scientist

Those bushings are also available from your local Mopar dealer.  Still in production.  They come pre lubed too.

I fought and fought for most of the afternoon trying to replace one or two bushings.  Then I went ahead took off both arms and pulled the linkage out.  Took less than 3 minutes to replace the bushings once the whole assembly was on the bench.  Man did I feel silly!

Easy way to line up the arms is to get the motor and linkage and everything reinstalled then turn the wiper switch on and off so the splines go into the park position.  Then reattach the arms in the park position. 

twilt

easiest way to do it is to pull the whole wiper transmission out of the car and re-bush it on a work bench.

bull

Oh. I thought the tip was going to be sell the third gen and buy a second gen. ;D Just kidding. :icon_smile_blackeye:

TK73

Quote from: bull on December 12, 2005, 10:42:14 PM
Oh. I thought the tip was going to be sell the third gen and buy a second gen. ;D Just kidding. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Why go backwards??  ;D

TK73

Quote from: Bandit72 on December 08, 2005, 08:24:18 PM

bandit interprets it as ..... "when the wiper bushings go out....don't drive in the rain...."

Didn't for a month or so... Seattle gets a weeee bit of rain inthe fall.

TK73

Duey

Even with my having replaced all the bushings some years ago, the wiper motor was always quite slow.  Do these motors have a tendancy to burn out windings and run slower, or something?
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

bull

Quote from: TK73 on December 12, 2005, 10:52:03 PM
Quote from: bull on December 12, 2005, 10:42:14 PM

Why go backwards??   ;D

Sometimes when you get off track it's best to start over.

andy74

3rd gen chargers are proof that mother mopar used to love us

TK73

Quote from: andy74 on December 14, 2005, 12:58:43 PM
3rd gen chargers are proof that mother mopar used to love us

Now she is a Bavarian Bitch with a distaste for the classics...

andy74