News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need 440 K member measurement

Started by troy.70R/T, March 19, 2010, 04:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I need to know what the measurement between the two holes where motor mount bolts go through the k frame at so I can determan if I have a 440 K frame in the Charger that I bought. Thanks Troy

John_Kunkel

That dimension won't help you narrow down the year, it was the same from '66-'72.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

troy.70R/T

I just want to know what K fram is in the 68 Charger that I have. I am assuming that it is a 440 K member. The car is an XS vin number car I just want to make sure no one ever swapped out the K frame. The car had no motor or trans when I got it.

oldcarnut

Is this what your were looking for?  Mine was about 14" inside edge to inside edge. 70 RR   O--O

troy.70R/T

Yes, thanks Oldcarnut that what I was looking for  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

The 68-70 Chargers had the same K-frame for all the V8 engines except the Hemi.  Just the (bolt on) motor mounts were different depending on whether it was a smallblock or a bigblock. 

troy.70R/T

So your saying that a 318 K-frame is the same as a 440 K-frame except for the extra skid plate that is on a 440 K-frame? Well I guess I should ask if all 440 K-frames had that skid plate welded to them? :shruggy: Also is that ANY 68-70 B-body or just chargers.

John_Kunkel

At the Schumacher site in the link below scroll down the menu on the left to "K-frame identification", click on it and find the '70 K-member pictured. In the flange of the "U" shaped opening on each side notice a series of small holes, these are for the brackets that support the sway bar; only '70 and later used this type of sway bar.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Mike DC

All B/E-bodies from like 66-72 had the same K-frames for either smallblock or bigblock wedge V8s.  Same K-frame from 273-440 inches, just different little motor mounts bolted on.   

In 1973 and up they started using two different K-frames for smallblock and bigblock V8s. 

None of them had the skid plates except the Hemi K-frames. 

The only other K-frame for these cars was the slant/6 one.     

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the link John. I will look at my 68 next weekend. As for the no skid plate except on hemis I thought that there were some heavy duty K-frames with the skid plate on them. I am not sure if you call it a skid plate, but my 70 440 R/T has something like that. I will try to find a picture of my 70 and post it. Thanks again guys.

troy.70R/T

Well I guess I don't have a picture of my 70 K-frame but I am certain that it has a small skid plate on it.

John_Kunkel

In '70-'71 both the Hemi and the 440HP used the same oil pan which extended below the normal bottom of the K-member, the skid plate was added to protect the leading edge of the pan.

troy.70R/T

Well I guess that explains it. Thanks John

maxwellwedge

Here are a couple of pics of a 70 440-6 E-Body with the skid plate.

troy.70R/T

Yep,that is what my 70 440 Charger K-frame looks like.

Mike DC

Yeah, I goofed about the skid plates.  These guys are correct.