News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440/727 or 5.7 HEMI/545RFE?

Started by PocketThunder, December 09, 2005, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

I'm having mixed feelings deciding on which drivetrain to go with.... I've got a 440/727 ready to be rebuilt and dropped into my 68.  Which is the cheaper easy way......But i got a line on a 5.7HEMI and 545RFE trans out of a 2005 Ram with 10k miles on it.  Which is the more challenging, but more expensive way. 
It would be cheaper for me to build the 440, but, i'm intrigued by the 5.7 HEMI doing something similar to what hotrod68 did with his cuda.  Or what  this guy did    http://www.chargerfever.com/70360/index.html

The 5.7HEMI will cost me about $5000 to do, the 440 will cost me $2500. 

What would you do?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

firefighter3931

There's no replacement for displacement   :icon_smile_big: You'll miss that 150ftlbs of torque if you put a truck motor in that car.   :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Pocket Thunder, I thing the 5.7 Hemi would be a pain in the ass project. But, if done right you would have the best of both the old and new world.

First, see if there are HP parts for the 5.7 that will give you the power of a HP car and not a pick up. Pick up's are for hauling stuff and not tuned for the power band we would like. I think that one of the reason the V-10 did not get bought a lot in the PU's. They where looking for a Viper with a bed, but what they got was a truck engine with 2 extra holes.

Does anyone have a PIC of the 5.7 Hemi with out all the crap that covers the engine? I have seen one, well sort of. All I could see was plactic's stuff that covred the engine.

Cuda Ken

I am back

694spdRT

The 5.7 Hemi is intriguing. I wouldn't want an automatic, but that is just me. The 5.7 in my dad's 4wd Ram is a good running engine and I think it would work fine in a car that weighs much less. Definately not going to have the power of a 440 but, if this is the one your wife is going to be using(thought you mentioned that before) the modern Hemi will probably make her the happiest. For the extra $2500 I would consider it for a true "driver" type car. Mileage will probably be double the 440 but, like Cudaken said it probably will be a bugger to get it up and running.

The 440 is tried and tested brute power....just thirsty. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Plumcrazy

The new 5.7 hemi in your car is a solution in search of a problem.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

is_it_EVER_done?

I know a guy that put a late engine/trans from a wrecked Corvette in an early Camaro. He figured it would take a good solid month or so, but it ended up taking well over a year, and cost thousands.

Even with all the computer stuff, sensors, and fuel items, it was insane how many problems and dead ends that kept popping up. Just some of the ones I remember were -- Building an in tank sump, mounting system, and fuel delivery/return system for the fuel pump. --   No provision for a mechanical speedometer, so the stock one was converted (at great expense) to electronic. -- A little over a thousand for custom thick wall stainless steel headers when it was discovered that the "ting" sound of standard built headers was interpreted as spark knock by the computer, with it's subsequent backing off of the timing. -- huge amounts invested in various software programs for flashing the eprom to take care of problems the computer invented due to the elimination of so many of it's feedback loops such as traction controll, ABS, governing, etc. -- Fabricating sensor mounts, and changing the shifter lever mounting points to duplicate the ones the transmission needed so the computer would allow it to shift when it was supposed to, etc., etc.

There was SO much more, I could go on for pages, and that was with the support of the huge aftermarket that GM enjoys. I'm certainly not trying to convince you not to try, because I think it would be cool, plus you could probably market the "solutions" you invent to others who would like to do it, but I doubt you could accomplish the change without several thousand dollars more than the cost of the drivetrain.

My suggestion would be to buy a 440source.com stroker kit with the Ross dished pistons he offers and build it very mild for excellent drivability. You will have a package that will dramatically outperform the 5.7 plus the amount of money you save over the conversion will buy you a lot of gas.

If you do decide to do the conversion, please document the entire process with good notes and pictures, as well as the solutions you come up with for all the unknowns. If you produce a "no issues" end product, I know that I would buy a detailed "how to" report, and I'm sure others would to, or maybe a magazine would buy/publish it.

andy74

fuck the new hemi,go with a big block

sorry my attitude twards new stuff sucks,dcx isnt paying me my bonus,which i found out on tuesday,merry x mas german fuckers

PocketThunder

I'm gonna stick with the 440;.  Even thought the 5.7 HEMI guy is trying to help me make it work.  I just dont think i can shell out the clams.  Unless i get a nice bonus this year.(Sorry andy, :icon_smile_big:)  Maybe that'll change my mind.  but for now its the tried and true torque monster... :drive:

Basically it comes down to the $$$$.  I'm gonna get the car running so i can drive it and enjoy it.  I dont have time and money to be hoarsing around with the 5.7 right now.  So, thanks for the input.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

i kicked the crap out of one of those new hemis with my 440 charger. so why pay more for a slower car. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

andy74

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 12, 2005, 09:21:27 PM
i kicked the crap out of one of those new hemis with my 440 charger. so why pay more for a slower car. Rene
bingo

skip68

I've been told there are two types of guy's!!!! Guy's that drive their toys on the weekends.! ;D And guy's that have to work on theirs,  which one are you?????????????? :'( .Chuck................................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

autodynamics

well i think if you do the project. right you will lproduce more power than a older 440 twice the gas milelage. do any of you guys still use a rotary phone? carbs are a thng from the past sure they still work and alot of guys still love them but im gonna put a 6.1 in my car and itas gonna drive stop and handle not like a bad  of shit like these cars were back then. just my 2 cents  http://www.lateral-g.net/members/mcr72cuda/Plymouth_Barracuda_72_000_1073.JPG

Rack

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 09, 2005, 05:12:18 PM
I'm having mixed feelings deciding on which drivetrain to go with.... I've got a 440/727 ready to be rebuilt and dropped into my 68.  Which is the cheaper easy way......But i got a line on a 5.7HEMI and 545RFE trans out of a 2005 Ram with 10k miles on it.  Which is the more challenging, but more expensive way. 
It would be cheaper for me to build the 440, but, i'm intrigued by the 5.7 HEMI doing something similar to what hotrod68 did with his cuda.  Or what  this guy did    http://www.chargerfever.com/70360/index.html

The 5.7HEMI will cost me about $5000 to do, the 440 will cost me $2500. 

What would you do?

Go with the 5.7 Hemi and send me the 440.  :icon_smile_big:

j/k

Seriously, I'd go with the 440.

RD

nothin' like bringing up December 2005 threads  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

General_01

Just so you know, the 440/727 have been in the car for about a month or so now, but thanks for trying to help Pocket out. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed