News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight re-wiring / upgrade

Started by haueter66, December 10, 2005, 01:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

On the old board someone had posted instructions and a diagram of how they re-wired their headlights using relays or something and then running wire straight from the alternator to the lights so the only current going through the dash was for the switch.  I tried searching but I can't find that it has been re-posted.

Anyone remember this or have the data?  I would like to give it a shot.

Thanks

Mark

Plumcrazy

Before you spend any time installing the relays try this.

Make up a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end.  Clip one end to the wire at the headlight that's suppling power to the headlight.
One is low beam,one is high beam and the other is ground.

Start the car, stand in front of it and watch the headlights while someone touches the other end of the wire to the positive battery terminal.  If the lights get brighter the relays will help.  If not then you are wasting your time.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

runningman

Not really sure if it would be a waste of time, anytime you can keep excess current from running through the firewall it helps.  Helps keep the contacts in the headlight switch clean (no arcing) and no heat.  Maybe no fire as well :)

defiance

Also, the relay dramatically reduces the load your light switch handles, so that might be of interest.  Or it might not.  :)

haueter66

reducing the load through the firewall is actually my goal.

35 year old harness.... dont really trust it that much