News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first barn find from 1997, 70 road runner

Started by moparstuart, April 10, 2010, 11:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: 68blue on November 21, 2010, 04:54:26 PM
Great car, pictures and story. Best of luck with the car, I am restoring my grandmother's brother's 68. I rememeber when he bought it new and going for a ride in it for the first time.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

charge69

That is a really nice story about your family, Stuart. I am now in the Houston Tx. area where I grew up but  I spent almost 2 years in the Olathe Ks. area when I returned from Vietnam and even met my 1st wife there. Met her at a dance at the local VFW Post and cannot remember the number now but it was near downtown Olathe.

Long story short is ... I have been married to my 2nd wife now for almost 34 years now and still remember fondly my time at NAS Olathe Ks. even though it was decommissioned long ago (May 1970) and is still there. Funny I ended up finishing my 4 years in the Marine Corps there and saw and rode in numerous MOPARS brand new for the day. I had no idea where Olathe was before going there in 1968 and it was out in the boonies then. We only had one old F8 squadron (USMC) there back then and I was back in fixed-wing after being in Helicopters the whole time in RVN.

I still have a son and his family that live in Overland Park Ks. including 2 grandkids that are 10 and 9. Don't think the kids have a clue about old MOPARS yet. Have I got a surprise for them!!!

Those pics and mention of Raytown (Mo.) bring back a lot of memories even though the car is not located there. My ex still lives in Lees Summit and we are still friends. I still think about all the old MOPARS at that base!

moparstuart

Quote from: charge69 on November 21, 2010, 06:42:00 PM
That is a really nice story about your family, Stuart. I am now in the Houston Tx. area where I grew up but  I spent almost 2 years in the Olathe Ks. area when I returned from Vietnam and even met my 1st wife there. Met her at a dance at the local VFW Post and cannot remember the number now but it was near downtown Olathe.

Long story short is ... I have been married to my 2nd wife now for almost 34 years now and still remember fondly my time at NAS Olathe Ks. even though it was decommissioned long ago (May 1970) and is still there. Funny I ended up finishing my 4 years in the Marine Corps there and saw and rode in numerous MOPARS brand new for the day. I had no idea where Olathe was before going there in 1968 and it was out in the boonies then. We only had one old F8 squadron (USMC) there back then and I was back in fixed-wing after being in Helicopters the whole time in RVN.

I still have a son and his family that live in Overland Park Ks. including 2 grandkids that are 10 and 9. Don't think the kids have a clue about old MOPARS yet. Have I got a surprise for them!!!

Those pics and mention of Raytown (Mo.) bring back a lot of memories even though the car is not located there. My ex still lives in Lees Summit and we are still friends. I still think about all the old MOPARS at that base!
cool  atually the car is in raytown  still at my rental  property . I lived in raytown for 10 year just after getting married . It was our starter house and we just kept it when we upgraded 11 years ago .  I now live in overland but my brothers car still lives in raytown LOL

charge69

The old "small world syndrome" still at work.

I remember the main exit to Olathe and it is now the exit I take to my son's place albeit he lives about 2 to 3 miles to the east of I-35 instead of west of it like Olathe. The old airfield is now called New Century Aircenter in Johnson County now. I think Johnson County took over the NAS when it was decommissioned even back then.The area now off the Olathe exit is now called Overland Park but it was not back then.  Just an old farm road all the way to Missouri. Hwy50 or Hwy56 or something like that as my memory is bad. It is just a number of a street now

I know where Raytown is too and it is all just a big suburban area from Overland Park to Raytown now. Time does march on but .... damn, it seems to go faster as we get older! Ha Ha!

Been back in Southeast Texas for a long time now. Too cold for me there!  :-)

moparstuart

Quote from: charge69 on November 21, 2010, 07:14:36 PM
The old "small world syndrome" still at work.

I remember the main exit to Olathe and it is now the exit I take to my son's place albeit he lives about 2 to 3 miles to the east of I-35 instead of west of it like Olathe. The old airfield is now called New Century Aircenter in Johnson County now. I think Johnson County took over the NAS when it was decommissioned even back then.The area now off the Olathe exit is now called Overland Park but it was not back then.  Just an old farm road all the way to Missouri. Hwy50 or Hwy56 or something like that as my memory is bad. It is just a number of a street now

I know where Raytown is too and it is all just a big suburban area from Overland Park to Raytown now. Time does march on but .... damn, it seems to go faster as we get older! Ha Ha!

Been back in Southeast Texas for a long time now. Too cold for me there!  :-)
:yesnod: :yesnod:yeah new century is actually part of gardner kansas now

charge69

Yep, I remember Gardner was just down the road (back to the souhwest a few miles on I-35 or just a couple of "backroad" miles to the west from the base) and we had a couple of civilians living there. Glad to hear the MOPAR population is still around and doing well. If those old roads could talk !!!!!

I think they have another airport around there too.

moparstuart

Quote from: charge69 on November 21, 2010, 07:34:09 PM
Yep, I remember Gardner was just down the road (back to the souhwest a few miles on I-35 or just a couple of "backroad" miles to the west from the base) and we had a couple of civilians living there. Glad to hear the MOPAR population is still around and doing well. If those old roads could talk !!!!!

I think they have another airport around there too.
just east of olathe is the executive airport for small planes , its not too far from my house 

charge69

Must be Cedar Air Park or something like it. That is a little to the NE as I remember but I don't think it was there back then. Nice area, just too cold for me!! Especially my old bones now!

Old Moparz

Hmm, I missed this thread the first time around.   :shruggy:

Nice car Stuart, cool story about saving it.  :cheers:

Your Mom's old house was incredible. I love old Victorians, but can't imagine fixing one. Of course that's probably why I bought a modern contemporary.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 23, 2010, 11:47:28 AM

Your Mom's old house was incredible. I love old Victorians, but can't imagine fixing one. Of course that's probably why I bought a modern contemporary.  :lol:
thanks I really love your 70 also ,  these 70's are my favorite  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on November 23, 2010, 12:04:34 PM

thanks I really love your 70 also ,  these 70's are my favorite  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Oh yeah, I do have a '70.   :o

I forgot about that, maybe I better get something done on it.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 23, 2010, 12:21:03 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 23, 2010, 12:04:34 PM

Oh yeah, I do have a '70.   :o

I forgot about that, maybe I better get something done on it.  :lol:
its the best color ever also  LOL

moparstuart

spent all day working on cleaning out my rental house ,  so i cleaned some junk out of the car .

spare cluster w/tic toc tach in the floor board ,plus tach in the dash already

moparstuart

:popcrn: 4 speed hump  , flors are solid   :drool5:

moparstuart

:popcrn:front shoulder belts are nice and still intact . I didnt realize 70 had such a different shoulder belt set up as 69 no annoying elastic .  The 4 speed carpet hump is in great shape , I have a console for it just need that missing hard to find chrome  molding for the drivers side on the console to hold the carpet on

moparstuart

:popcrn:

moparstuart

:popcrn: extra grille hlp bezels in the back seat floor

moparstuart

:popcrn:two full sets of rear seats in the back seat
and a trunk full of 68, 69 , and 70 RR/GTX parts

moparstuart