News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with daughters ram??

Started by vancamp, May 03, 2010, 09:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancamp

My daughters 98 5.9 club cab has an issue that has me stumped, a couple months ago it all of a sudden started having a problem starting after it warmed up, if you tried to start itit would either turn over and not start or start and die but if you gave it a little gas it would start and run fine  after you got moving, after talking to the local dealership they said it was the crank position sensor i put a new one on same issue i replaced the idle air sensor and the problem went away until now its doing the same thing it has good fuel pressure and as long as your going down the road its fine but after it warms up if you let off the throttle it may or may not die, its not throwing any codes. any clues??

darkfiire5000

I know on the 1995 dodge neons that a coolant temp sensor can also cause problems like that with out setting a code :2thumbs:

RD

does it have a APPS or accelerator pedal position sensor?  if so, these are known to causing such a problem without setting a code.  my 99 ram (w/a cummins mind you) had this issue.  not sure if it applies to gassers.  check all vacuum lines?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

vancamp

it has a new battery and no vacuum line issues, i dont know how you would check or test a tps without just replacing it, what really has me stumped is it only does it after its warmed up if you let it sit and cool completely back down it starts and runs fine. :shruggy:

Charger RT

has the throttle body been cleaned? They build up stuff where the throttle blades meet the bore. This can cause this problem. When backing out of the throttle the computer has the AIS set for idle if there is build up there is not enough total air to idle and it will stall. Get some carb cleaner and either a finger or an old tooth brush and clean it.
Tim

vancamp

Quote from: Charger RT on May 03, 2010, 09:38:53 PM
has the throttle body been cleaned? They build up stuff where the throttle blades meet the bore. This can cause this problem. When backing out of the throttle the computer has the AIS set for idle if there is build up there is not enough total air to idle and it will stall. Get some carb cleaner and either a finger or an old tooth brush and clean it.
Tim
will try that thanks, i was going to take the idle air sensor back out and see if it had carbon on the plunger of the new one and hit it with some carb cleaner as well.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

vancamp

ok i took the idle air sensor out and tried a little carb cleaner in the orifices sensor itself was clean as a whistle no carbon. and cleaned a little carbon off around the blades on the throttle body and replaced both battery cable ends with solder on units (previous owner put the clamp type on it and they were a little crusty) and knock on wood one of the three things seems to have done the trick so far.

Charger RT