News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Harbor Freight GRRRR

Started by ZSmithersCharges, May 18, 2010, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

Well like I said in the engine lift thread I was going to go to Harbor Freight to buy an engine lift and stand.  I go last night before they close to get the stand and load leveler.  I have no truck and can't get one before they close so I tell the guy I'll be getting the engine lift tomorrow.  While I'm there the guy who is helping me insists I pay for the 2 ton foldable lift ahead of time so they can set it aside for me and I can just pick it up tomorrow.  I'm thinking that's weird but whatever maybe they're low on stock.  I get home put the engine stand together and call it a night.
Fast forward to today.  I go back with my brother to pick this lift up I bring my receipt and go ask where my lift is.  The lady looks at me puzzled gets help and exclaims how "they aren't allowed to do that".  That meaning ring you out for something you aren't leaving with.  I procede to tell her that is exactly what they did.  She is in disbelief and thinks I just bought it yesterday and was trying to get a free one.  I am getting annoyed but am holding it well.  After searching around for 15 minutes they find my unit(with a note from the guy from the previous night) and bring it out.  Well he rang me out for the 1 ton foldable not the 2 ton like I asked and confirmed 3 times with him the night before.  We have to do a return and refund even though it never left the store and then have to ring it out again as the 2 ton foldable.  Well I pay for the 2 ton we load it into the truck after at least half an hour and my brother and I take it to my house.  I don't feel like putting it together right away as I want to relax.  I get home later and open the box, its the freakin 2 ton NON FOLDABLE  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  This thing is over a hundred pounds but damnit I'm going to get the correct lift whether they like it or not.  I don't have room for this big ass non foldable and I specified at least 10 times all together I wanted the 2 ton FOLDABLE.  It needs to be stored in my basement when not in use.  Rant off I just had to get that out before I went postal.  :mad:

Moral of the story if your buying something heavy that will be a PITA to return double, triple, and quadruple check AT THE STORE to make sure its right!  Open the box!  If the box it came in had any markings I would have known right away but it didn't so I assumed(I know Ponch :slap:) that they had actually listened to me and got it right.  I was wrong.

Silver R/T

Ya HF customer service SUCKS. You can't expect excellent service from workers who get paid min wage
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ZSmithersCharges

Yeah I just got back from dragging my butt up there and swapping it out.  Got there 5 minutes before close, I'm "that" guy :lol:

Mike DC

It's Harbor Freight.  Everything they sell is a single-use item.

89MOPAR

Bought a engine hoist from them as well.  Unloaded a V6 motor from the back of a pickup truck. Was going to let it hang on the hoist for a bit while i sorted out the bolts + such to attach it to an engine stand.  Darn thing started bending and slowly the motor was going to the ground on its own !  :o    It wasn't the hydraulic ram either.  Running around trying to find tires or something to get under the motor before it totally collapsed. 
   PArtially my fault as i neglected to put washers on either side of one [1] of the frame bolts, and the metal Ripped open at that spot, slowly tearing open and dropping the engine further. So cheap chinese steel is my guess, as this was a V6 shortblock, with no accessories, and a plastic intake manifold on it. Can't weigh but a few hundred pounds.
  Anyhow, chucked it it the trash, and bought a decent folding one from auto parts store. Better construction for sure.

Another time bought a saw and saw stand.  I am waitng for about 20+ minutes while they run around checking inventory looking for the stand, after i paid for it.[ Computer said they had several] .I ask for the manager +  they Tried to convice me to come back another day to pick it up.  I said "no way, this is a 1/2 hour drive, one way, plus a bridge toll to get here " . Made them disassemble the display model and took that one.

Guy tried to sell me on the "extended warranty" for the saw, for some rip-off price, told him if your saw breaks i will never buy another of that brand again., that is my "piece of mind".  Watching people go thru the line alot of them bought the warranty on various items. One guy paid $10 on a $40 drill [ ? ]. 

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

twodko

Definitely what Mike DC said!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Musicman

Really :scratchchin:  I've bought ton's of stuff from them over the years. Sure a lot of their stuff is just crap, especially the stuff from the early days, but as long as you know what your looking for, and what your looking at, there shouldn't be an issue. I have a lot of their single use items here that I have been using for over 30 years now. Like any import dealer, you have to pick and choose... some items are good, some items are outstanding, and some of it I would touch with a 37-1/2 foot pole :lol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 89MOPAR on May 20, 2010, 10:15:43 AM
Bought a engine hoist from them as well.  Unloaded a V6 motor from the back of a pickup truck. Was going to let it hang on the hoist for a bit while i sorted out the bolts + such to attach it to an engine stand.  Darn thing started bending and slowly the motor was going to the ground on its own !  :o    It wasn't the hydraulic ram either.  Running around trying to find tires or something to get under the motor before it totally collapsed. 
   PArtially my fault as i neglected to put washers on either side of one [1] of the frame bolts, and the metal Ripped open at that spot, slowly tearing open and dropping the engine further. So cheap Chinese steel is my guess, as this was a V6 shortblock, with no accessories, and a plastic intake manifold on it. Can't weigh but a few hundred pounds.
  Anyhow, chucked it it the trash, and bought a decent folding one from auto parts store. Better construction for sure.

Another time bought a saw and saw stand.  I am waiting for about 20+ minutes while they run around checking inventory looking for the stand, after i paid for it.[ Computer said they had several] .I ask for the manager +  they Tried to convice me to come back another day to pick it up.  I said "no way, this is a 1/2 hour drive, one way, plus a bridge toll to get here " . Made them disassemble the display model and took that one.

Guy tried to sell me on the "extended warranty" for the saw, for some rip-off price, told him if your saw breaks i will never buy another of that brand again., that is my "piece of mind".  Watching people go thru the line alot of them bought the warranty on various items. One guy paid $10 on a $40 drill [ ? ]. 

My comment to people trying to sell a warranty is......  You sell them because the odds are I wont need it and you will profit, so no thanks.  Or..... I buy good quality products so odds are I wont need a warranty.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

I always make sure and check out their big stuff before I leave with it. I was going to buy one of their US General three-drawer tool carts on clearance for 50% off because the fastener kit was missing. But to make sure I had them open up the box and yes the kit was missing but so were the keys, and the lid and drawers were locked. I said thanks anyway and left.

Tilar

They have the nickname "China Freight" for a reason.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.