News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To all wanting BFG P295/50R15's

Started by GPULLER, June 04, 2010, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

The Jeg's site lists 245 and 255/60R15, along with 245 and 255/60SR15 with a "NEW" logo next to it.  Call for availability.  The guy said Goodrich has redesigned their Radial T/A to handle better.  Also notice the speed rating now.  They were a quarter of the market, and with the old style not being produced, all the other companies supply has dried up, too.  He said September for availability.  What do you think?

What tires are better than BFG?  I see Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Les Schwab's Grand Am, Hancook, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Brock Samson

a tire comparo i read sometime ago now rated the firestones as superior but that was around two years ago...  :shruggy:

HPP

What did they do to make it handle better? Add sidewall plys, change carcass design, modify tread block design? The only new thing I see is that they added the speed rating to the size designation. These have always been S speed rated. A 225/60R15 is no better than a 255/60SR15 these days. If they want to make it perform better, get it to a y or z speed rating and the treadwear down around 200.

Tire Rack's reviews may be a decent source of average usage reviews. Just don't expect any substantive performance data from them and you'll be okay.

GPULLER

Quote from: 375instroke on July 15, 2011, 02:03:45 PM
The Jeg's site lists 245 and 255/60R15, along with 245 and 255/60SR15 with a "NEW" logo next to it.  Call for availability.  The guy said Goodrich has redesigned their Radial T/A to handle better.  Also notice the speed rating now.  They were a quarter of the market, and with the old style not being produced, all the other companies supply has dried up, too.  He said September for availability.  What do you think?

What tires are better than BFG?  I see Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Les Schwab's Grand Am, Hancook, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

I went with Firestone's, seem good so far.

Brock Samson

Frank SFRT went with the firestones too.. but judging from his photos he's gonna need another set anytime now...  :icon_smile_wink:

375instroke

Was looking at the Firestones.  As far as I can tell, a 60 series is always going to be a crap tire anyways, it's how crappy do you want to get.  I guess it's more on looks and what it says on the side.  Can't find anything under 400 treadwear unless it's a drag tire.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

GPULLER

I checked with one of our tire suppliers this morning for the availablilty of BFG 295's, they have some if anybody is looking and cant find them.  PM me if your interested.

bull

Until someone from this site or someone I know personally is able to drive down to the tire store and return with a pair of 295/50R15 BFG T/As in their hands I do not believe they are in production. When I was looking for them 2-3 years ago everyone told me they could get them by the end of the week, until I tried to actually order them. Then it was a much different story. It was the same story when I was looking for forged pistons for my 383. Every website listed them, every phone clerk said they had them, but when I tried to order them from five different places I got nowhere.

GPULLER

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2011, 01:09:35 PM
Until someone from this site or someone I know personally is able to drive down to the tire store and return with a pair of 295/50R15 BFG T/As in their hands I do not believe they are in production. When I was looking for them 2-3 years ago everyone told me they could get them by the end of the week, until I tried to actually order them. Then it was a much different story. It was the same story when I was looking for forged pistons for my 383. Every website listed them, every phone clerk said they had them, but when I tried to order them from five different places I got nowhere.

Just got off the phone with my supplier, they have 11 on hand.  Could probably have them on Thursday, you want all 11???

Musicman

Quote from: GPULLER on July 27, 2011, 01:55:09 PM
Just got off the phone with my supplier, they have 11 on hand.  Could probably have them on Thursday, you want all 11???

:smilielol: Just put them right over there on his desk...

GPULLER

Quote from: Musicman on July 27, 2011, 02:04:29 PM

:smilielol: Just put them right over there on his desk...

Almost thinking about buying a pair and put them away, but my last set of tires lasted 15+ years.  I'd probably for get where I put them by then!  :lol:

Dans 68

Quote from: GPULLER on July 27, 2011, 02:11:43 PM
Almost thinking about buying a pair and put them away, but my last set of tires lasted 15+ years....

My last set (different size BF Goodrich Radial T/A's) lasted 6 years, before the back tires delaminated, at speed, within an hour of each other. According to my tire guy that is all you can expect. I don't think they age very well....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

GPULLER

Quote from: Dans 68 on July 27, 2011, 04:30:26 PM
Almost thinking about buying a pair and put them away, but my last set of tires lasted 15+ years....

My last set (different size BF Goodrich Radial T/A's) lasted 6 years, before the back tires delaminated, at speed, within an hour of each other. According to my tire guy that is all you can expect. I don't think they age very well....

Dan

My last set were Goodyears, they werent cracked or weather checked but I was pushing my luck.

bull

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2011, 01:09:35 PM

Just got off the phone with my supplier, they have 11 on hand.  Could probably have them on Thursday, you want all 11???

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. But, it's too little too late as far as I'm concerned with BFG and the T/A. They aren't that good a tire to begin with and when the company gave us muscle car guys the finger by back ordering the 295 there were many other superior tires on hand to fill the gap. The only thing the BFG T/A has going for it is the look of the white lettering. It's a POS tire otherwise.

Musicman

Well, I don't believe that anyone ever bought them for their outstanding performance characteristics... Sales were mostly based on the look of the raised white letters and their tread design. They are a sharp looking tire that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, so folks are going to buy them... and in reality, they are more than adequate for the average user who just needs a tire for cruising down the road.

71green go

I just bought 245/60/15 and 275/60/15 T/A's last week......could have gotten the 295's but they were to wide for my rim...
I was told they are changing the inside of the tire to change speed rating......

I have always had T/A's and love them.....If I want better performance I buy a better tire...and spend more
I wouldnt say T/A's are cheap...mine cost me over $825 but this is Canada,,,sigh

I used to buy Hoosier GT radials but they stopped making them...again for the lettering...they squealed LOUD when doing a burnout...almost to loud

Musicman

Quote from: 71green go on July 27, 2011, 06:35:26 PM
I was told they are changing the inside of the tire to change speed rating......

I heard that one too... but as Bull says, I'll believe it when I see it :icon_smile_big:

gtx6970

customer picked up 2 front tires and 4 rear tires ( he wanted spares ) at Carlisle.

Now on the car  P235-60-15 ft's and P295-50-15' rears

gtx6970

wheelwell is full

GPULLER

Very nice! I can see why he might might want a set for spares.

I wouldn't say BFG gave the muscle car guys the finger, there probably isn't too much demand for the 295's.  Last year when I was looking there really wasn't much for choices Firestone's or Hoosiers.  Wanted BFG's, for the looks, certainly wasn't going to put on some no name "Super Wide Honchos".

Musicman

Quote from: GPULLER on July 28, 2011, 08:37:51 AM
...there probably isn't too much demand for the 295's.

In terms of the entire muscle car tire buying market (Mopar,Ford,Cheby,etc), there aren't a lot of vehicles out there that can wear a 295 without modification  :D

But... that's not an excuse to leave people hang'n either. There are plenty of specialty tires out there with a much smaller market.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 27, 2011, 09:40:29 PM
customer picked up 2 front tires and 4 rear tires ( he wanted spares ) at Carlisle.

Now on the car  P235-60-15 ft's and P295-50-15' rears

mmmm  Me likey that one :drool5:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

375instroke

Almost thinking about buying a pair and put them away, but my last set of tires lasted 15+ years.  I'd probably for get where I put them by then!  :lol:
Really?  I've got three years on mine, and they're on the replace markers now.  I don't want to buy some skinny tires, but what choice do I have at this point?

Musicman

Quote from: 375instroke on July 30, 2011, 04:06:07 PM
 I don't want to buy some skinny tires, but what choice do I have at this point?

Lots... the BFG's are available again, or are you looking for something else? There are other alternatives.