News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To all wanting BFG P295/50R15's

Started by GPULLER, June 04, 2010, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I've been looking for a few weeks, and have ordered tires many times, only to be contacted in a few days telling me they are not available.  275/60-15 is available, along with many smaller 70 series tires.  I have 225/70-14 now, but am looking for something to fit the 15X7 and 15X8 rims I will be installing.  I don't need BFG, but I will not put something named Hankook on my Charger.  Looking for 245/60-15 and 275/60-15.

Musicman

Where ya look'n? I see them around... Nobodies home at the moment, so I can't make any calls, but you should be able to find the BFG Radial T/A or  the MT Sportsman S/T in those sizes. But like I said, it's Saturday and no one wants to talk...

Brass

Quote from: 375instroke on July 30, 2011, 04:51:04 PM
I've been looking for a few weeks, and have ordered tires many times, only to be contacted in a few days telling me they are not available.  275/60-15 is available, along with many smaller 70 series tires.  I have 225/70-14 now, but am looking for something to fit the 15X7 and 15X8 rims I will be installing.  I don't need BFG, but I will not put something named Hankook on my Charger.  Looking for 245/60-15 and 275/60-15.
The last I looked, Mickey Thompson makes both of those sizes.  You can also get the Firestone Firehawks in 275/60/15 but not the 245/60/15.  However, they do make the 235/60/15 which will work up front.

Budnicks

If your close or in California I have a set of like new 275/60/15's BFG TA's with maybe 75-100 miles on them, they have been stored in a dark cool place so no issues with them aging prematurely, "Cheap" like $100+ shipping, but it's costly to ship them tough, it would be better to pick them up, then to ship... Some tire outlets will do free shipping also you may also want to look into that...  I put 295/50/15's on a couple of years back I got them from Summit Racing was my best price at that time...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

twodko

You can also get the Firestone Firehawks in 275/60/15 but not the 245/60/15.  However, they do make the 235/60/15 which will work up front.
[/quote]

These are the tires I ended up putting on our 69. 235's on 15x7 and 275's on 15x8.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

SG1022

Quote from: Budnicks on July 31, 2011, 02:12:03 PM
If your close or in California I have a set of like new 275/60/15's BFG TA's with maybe 75-100 miles on them, they have been stored in a dark cool place so no issues with them aging prematurely, "Cheap" like $100+ shipping, but it's costly to ship them tough, it would be better to pick them up, then to ship... Some tire outlets will do free shipping also you may also want to look into that...  I put 295/50/15's on a couple of years back I got them from Summit Racing was my best price at that time...

Do you still have them? Are they all 4 the same size? How much do you want for them? I live in Oregon, might be worth shipping. :scratchchin:

Budnicks

Quote from: SG1022 on August 05, 2011, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on July 31, 2011, 02:12:03 PM
I've been looking for a few weeks, and have ordered tires many times, only to be contacted in a few days telling me they are not available.  275/60-15 is available, along with many smaller 70 series tires.  I have 225/70-14 now, but am looking for something to fit the 15X7 and 15X8 rims I will be installing.  I don't need BFG, but I will not put something named Hankook on my Charger.  Looking for 245/60-15 and 275/60-15.
If your close or in California I have a set of like new 275/60/15's BFG TA's with maybe 75-100 miles on them, they have been stored in a dark cool place so no issues with them aging prematurely, "Cheap" like $100+ shipping, but it's costly to ship them tough, it would be better to pick them up, then to ship... Some tire outlets will do free shipping also you may also want to look into that...  I put 295/50/15's on a couple of years back I got them from Summit Racing was my best price at that time...

Do you still have them? Are they all 4 the same size? How much do you want for them? I live in Oregon, might be worth shipping. :scratchchin:
Yes I still have 2) BFG  TA's P275/60/15's $100 or reasonable bucks + shipping from 95370
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

jb666

Not to dig up an ancient subject, but it's along the lines of today's project.

I am curious, those of you running 295's on 8" or 8.5" rims, do you have any problem?? I'm thinking of running 295's on the rear on a 4" backspaced rim (it's all I can get for this style). The 275's are a tight fit in the (OEM) tub, but I'm thinking it's because these drag radials are like balloons. If I drop from a 275/60/15(10.82" wide) to a 295/50/15(11.61" wide) I'll drop ALMOST 1.5" in height(26.61" vs 27.99") ... is this enough to fit a stock setup?? The only difference with mine is I'm running Cal-tracs, but they are in the OEM location.

Next -- I just got off the phone with TireRack -- They said they had "47 295's in stock". Are they wrong, or did the get plenty in stock since you guys last talked??

Where can the Mickey's be purchased reasonably, like Chris is running? Those are awesome looking tires.

And finally, my last question -- Who's running 8.5" rims UP FRONT?? With a 4" backspace? Any issues?
:popcrn:

tan top

got  8 inch wheels  with four inch back space  , with a 255-60 tire  up front ,  no rubbing  , even when i lowered the suspension on the bump stops & drove over bumps & slopes , turning steering full  lock to lock  , at full lock with the suspension on the lower bump stops ,the tire is about 1/4" from the fender lip , but no rubbing  , but  as an extra margin of safety , i fabricated a pair of (69 1/2 roadrunner/superbee 440 sixpack lower bumpstop spacers) just to be on the safe side, i'm nutts like that !!   :yesnod: prolly closer to 1/2 " with the spacers now !! did not bother to check when fitted , as it cleared before .
8 & a half wheel  with  4 inch will be too wide , with  stock front  fenders  , maybe ok with a 235 tire but then its defeating the object :scratchchin: ,  think you could get  up to a 9 inch wide wheel increasing the back space or a 275 tire , but would have to limit the steering lock ( travel )  1/8" or so of an  inch to stop the inner edge of the tire hitting the frame rail & alter the fender lip & support brace a little :scratchchin:

a 15 x 8 with a 3.75 back space & a 235 tire fits good IMO safe  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Quote from: tan top on December 24, 2011, 08:05:23 PM
got  8 inch wheels  with four inch back space  , with a 255-60 tire  up front ,  no rubbing  , even when i lowered the suspension on the bump stops & drove over bumps & slopes , turning steering full  lock to lock  , at full lock the tire is about 1/4" from the fender lip , but no rubbing  , but  as an extra margin of safety , i fabricated a pair of (69 1/2 roadrunner/superbee 440 sixpack lower bumpstop spacers) just to be on the safe side, i'm nutts like that !!   :yesnod: prolly closer to 1/2 " with the spacers now !! did not bother to check when fitted , as it cleared before .
8 & a half wheel  with  4 inch will be too wide , with  stock front  fenders  , maybe ok with a 235 tire but then its defeating the object :scratchchin:

the extra .5" really makes that big a difference??

I'm running a 275 up front right now and have zero issues.. Then again, I have heavy duty torsion bars and have them cranked up a bit, so my tires are out of the wells anyways...

You can actually get a good idea how much space I Have above the tire here...

tan top

yeah was going to say that if you have the bars cranked up ,

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 08:13:14 PM
Quote from: tan top on December 24, 2011, 08:05:23 PM
got  8 inch wheels  with four inch back space  , with a 255-60 tire  up front ,  no rubbing  , even when i lowered the suspension on the bump stops & drove over bumps & slopes , turning steering full  lock to lock  , at full lock the tire is about 1/4" from the fender lip , but no rubbing  , but  as an extra margin of safety , i fabricated a pair of (69 1/2 roadrunner/superbee 440 sixpack lower bumpstop spacers) just to be on the safe side, i'm nutts like that !!   :yesnod: prolly closer to 1/2 " with the spacers now !! did not bother to check when fitted , as it cleared before .
8 & a half wheel  with  4 inch will be too wide , with  stock front  fenders  , maybe ok with a 235 tire but then its defeating the object :scratchchin:

the extra .5" really makes that big a difference??

I'm running a 275 up front right now and have zero issues.. Then again, I have heavy duty torsion bars and have them cranked up a bit, so my tires are out of the wells anyways...

You can actually get a good idea how much space I Have above the tire here...

yes i can see what your saying Jeff  :yesnod: :cheers: :2thumbs:
does look a lot of clearence in your picture

prolly ok blasting up & down in a straight , & driving around at normal posted speeds !
you need to factor in suspension travel !  if you have to do a lane change at  speed , emergency manover ! or  over bumpy roads pulling into a drive  depending on what the camber of the road it like  , the suspension is going to compress ! with the wheels turned !  fender lips going to cut into the tire wall ! or at best rub IMO ,

heres a picture
of my front , 15x 8 " wheel  with 4 inch back space , & a 255 -60  tire

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

jb666

Thank you for the pictures!!

You're running a 255 on an 8" rim...  A 255 is 27.99" tall.  A 245 is 26.57. Granted, I have an extra .5" of rim width, so hopefully it won't rip my front fenders off..... My 235's at 26.10" tall used to rub a hair when I'd hit a good sized bump at 45MPH+.. So I cranked the bars up a bit and never had another issue...

tan top

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 08:56:19 PM
Thank you for the pictures!!

You're running a 255 on an 8" rim...  A 255 is 27.99" tall.  A 245 is 26.57. Granted, I have an extra .5" of rim width, so hopefully it won't rip my front fenders off..... My 235's at 26.10" tall used to rub a hair when I'd hit a good sized bump at 45MPH+.. So I cranked the bars up a bit and never had another issue...

:2thumbs:  oh yes your correct  255 is 27 " tall  ,  forgot all about  245 being shorter ,
 :yesnod:
your ride hight is much higher than mine ,

Charger Stuff 

tachyon

I was looking for BF G's too with no luck. Ended up buying Mastercraft at a little over $ 100 for the 295's and I'm happy with the way they handle on my everyday driver.
Yes I no it's not a Mopar but I sure need a truck when scavenging for parts.  ;)

HPP

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 01:18:49 PM
Not to dig up an ancient subject, but it's along the lines of today's project.

I am curious, those of you running 295's on 8" or 8.5" rims, do you have any problem?? I'm thinking of running 295's on the rear on a 4" backspaced rim (it's all I can get for this style). The 275's are a tight fit in the (OEM) tub, but I'm thinking it's because these drag radials are like balloons. If I drop from a 275/60/15(10.82" wide) to a 295/50/15(11.61" wide) I'll drop ALMOST 1.5" in height(26.61" vs 27.99") ... is this enough to fit a stock setup?? The only difference with mine is I'm running Cal-tracs, but they are in the OEM location.

Normally I'd say no, you couldn't make this change and have better clearence, but you car sits so high, it may not be an issue. However, keep in mind that the height difference is overall. You are only reducing the interference point on one half of the tire by .69, or quite a bit less than you think. Also keep in mind that maufacturer measuresments are on appropriately designated rim sizes to match the size represented. So, the 275 is measured on a an 8" rim and the 295 is measured on a 9.5" rim. Putting a 295 on an 8" rim means it will actually come in a bit narrower and a bit taller than the maufacturer specs. It also means you may need to run it at lower pressure to get a full contact patch out of the tread face. When I had 295s on an 8" rim, I couldn't go much higher than 27 psi or the center of the tire would start bulging out and reduce contact with the rest of the tread.

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 01:18:49 PMNext -- I just got off the phone with TireRack -- They said they had "47 295's in stock". Are they wrong, or did the get plenty in stock since you guys last talked??

Since this topic is half a year old, yeah, it is definetly possible the back order stock status has changed. However, I think the original topic was exculsive to BFG only, not any other manufacturer. Tire rack stocks a lot of other brands than BFG, so if they just looked at stock status by size, then yeah, they probably had 47 units. There are a few other maufacturers out that that still make 295s, and most of them are a better tire than BFG too.

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 01:18:49 PMWhere can the Mickey's be purchased reasonably, like Chris is running? Those are awesome looking tires.

Summit, Jegs, or do a dealer locate on the M/T website its self.

Quote from: jb666 on December 24, 2011, 01:18:49 PMAnd finally, my last question -- Who's running 8.5" rims UP FRONT?? With a 4" backspace? Any issues?

Again,  with your car sitting so high, it may not be an issue, but normally it would be. On my Challenger I've put a 255 on an 8" rim but needed 4.75" of backspace to clear the fender lip and ball joint. However, my car was so much lower that the edge of the fender opening was half way down the sidewall of the tire.  Yes, a Charger is slightly different, but it still has teh flattened arch at the top of the opening and backspace is still a critical measurement in making things fit well inside a wheel well. Personally, I'd be afraid of ever really pushing the envelop of suspension travel and putting a tire in to a wheel opening and damaging sheetmetal with your current combo. The safest fitment would be 255 rear and 235 front since your wheels have a reduced offset on them and even that might be pushing it. But, ride height and suspension travel are factors to also consider and may be the saving grace in your situation