News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger R/T - Racing oddities?

Started by FastbackJon, June 22, 2010, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

I had my '68 R/T up on a lift at a friend's house and took some pictures. Dad bought this car mostly as-is back in the early '90's in The Dalles, Oregon and we didn't drive it more than a couple hundred miles each year at most.

Anyhow, someone else built this thing up some 20 or more years ago and I was told it ran 10.50's at ~130mph on the track.

What I noticed....

Driveshaft loop
Deeper than factory trans pan
High-performance Flex plate (circular), and is missing a bolt...
Leaf springs moved inside frame rails to accommodate larger tires
Custom (welded) deep oil pan with braided lines going in/out
Non-stock oil pump with vertical filter

Any comments/questions/constructive criticism??

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

yeahitsgotahemi!

If it was actually running 10s, I would expect it to have been fitted with a roll cage inorder to be NHRA legal. Perhaps if you looked under the carpet and found reinforcement plates where a roll cage was welded/bolted, that would be an indication that it might be a car someone drag raced.  
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

elacruze

Needs frame connectors and torque boxes.  :2thumbs:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

firefighter3931

Usually when the leafsprings are relocated the car also recieves a mini-tub to allow for a larger tire....that part wasn't completed on this particular car. As mentioned above ; it would also have needed a rollbar to be legal at that speed.  :yesnod:

That oilpan is just nasty !  :eek2: :lol:

What are your plans for this car ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldschool

with the kinks that are in the external oil lines......you would be better off with an internal pickup  :Twocents:

the restrictions in the lines kind of defeat the purpose of them.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

FastbackJon

Quote from: oldschool on June 22, 2010, 01:36:04 PM
with the kinks that are in the external oil lines......you would be better off with an internal pickup  :Twocents:

the restrictions in the lines kind of defeat the purpose of them.

Pic #2 does kind of make the left hand line look kinked, but picture #5 sort of shows how there is space and it's not. The car has good oil pressure, sometimes I think too high (~90 psi or more) when it's cold and just starting up.

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FLG

This might be completely irrelevant and maybe a stupid questions or just my ignorance.

Doesnt the drive shaft usually go with the skinner end at the tranny?  :shruggy:

ChargerĀ“69

I think that air cleaner is too small to that engine if there is some power  :shruggy:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

greenpigs

Whats up with the fuel line, lots of rubber and not routed well.

A fan shroud would be a good idea

Make sure none of the plug wires are laying on the headers.

It looks like the coil is just laying in the valley pan area, is it secured?

Most of what I see is safety stuff.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

I think it's clear that someone began working on the car with the intention of going fast and/or may have been drag racing it but 10.50 for a stock bodied Charger is seriously getting it on.