News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 steering column removal

Started by red79, July 03, 2010, 01:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red79

I'm trying to remove the steering column on my 72 charger, but I can't figure out how to disconnect it from the steering box. I've found a diagram for a 71 elsewhere on the site, but I can't locate the pin that holds the column onto the shaft. I've attached a picture of the setup, any help would be a big help  :cheers:

there seems to be a hole for a pin, but it's empty--unless it's a hollow pin?

Daytona R/T SE

It's a hollow "Roll" pin.

You just need to find the proper size punch and tap it out.

Here's another tip:

Be sure to leave the column bolted to the dash until after you get the roll pin out.

I once unbolted the column from the dash, rested it on the front seat and then tried to get the pin out...

I beat the hell out of that thing trying to get the pin out....

I then bolted the column back up loosely to the dash and the pin came out, no problem.

With the column unbolted, it puts the pin in a huge bind locking it in place...

red79

thanks, I'll reattach the column to the dash and try to get it out.

red79

damn, this thing is a real pain. I'm hammering on it as hard as I can. anyone have any tips on getting out a sticky roll pin? heat maybe?

CDN72SE

Make sure your punch is not too small and it's not just going in the center of the roll pin.
1972 Charger SE

NHCharger

Soak it for a bit with some PB Blaster, then apply some heat. And yes those pins are a bitch to get  out.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue

I use a long Philips screwdriver shaft that fits a cordless drill, turned backwards (the hex end that fits the drill) you can get one 6" or longer and it fits to the hole and roll pin nice. Soaking it will help but you must get a straight shot on your hits as it will want to rotate with every impact. (don't beat the crap out of your steering gear box!)  :yesnod:

ACUDANUT

That's a 73 Steering column btw.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html