News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could you help Identify the Ticking?

Started by miller, June 29, 2010, 02:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

There has always been a small tick from the passenger side of the motor, but the engine has always run very strong, frequency of tick increases with engine speed, but when you take your foot off the throttle it does not return until the motor is close to ideal speed. Would this be an exhaust leak or could there possibly be something wrong inside the motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJfCXVCpc-o

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

FLG

Most definetly sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

John_Kunkel

If it's not an exhaust leak it could be a fuel pump.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

FLG

John wouldt he also see pref issues?

Never doubt you, just asking so i can store it in my head for future reference.  :D

miller

The only performance anomaly I have witnessed is that the car seems to run a better after I put a gas into it, (even 10 dollars). Its not a lot but it feels like the motor runs smoother, I just didn't think it would have anything to do with the ticking.

chargergirl

It's your wife on the passenger side...trying to make you crazy! lol
Trust your Woobie!

70charginglizard

Are you running the zinc additive?
I have the same ticking on mine and after ripping the valve cover off and taking a good look at the inside of my head and checking were the oil collects in the head I think I may have lost an intake lobe on my cam on no. 6. I've got some of the fine metal dust in my oil. Not a good sign.

On your though....It could possibly be nothin but an exhaust leak so I would check real good before I started ripping into the top end of the motor looking for other things. Check your plugs and wires too. Once you narrow it down and it starts to point to the mechanicals of the engine it could possibly be either a bad lifter, a bad valve, or a bad cam. Thats where I'm at on the problems mines having.  

70charginglizard

miller

Quote from: 70charginglizard on June 29, 2010, 07:10:53 PM

The engine currently has Brad Penn Break In Oil, it says it has "enhanced levels of zinc", it was recommended by the machinist who set up the build. But no, I have no other additives in the oil at this time.

70charginglizard

although mine ticks at idle like yours mine seems to go away when idled up a bit.

how many miles do you have on your rebuild?
70charginglizard

miller

Its hard to say because the headers melted the speedometer cable early last year, but probably around 700-800 miles.

70charginglizard

Quote from: miller on June 29, 2010, 07:24:42 PM
Its hard to say because the headers melted the speedometer cable early last year, but probably around 700-800 miles.

Then my vote is for a exhaust leak too. your motor build sounds too fresh to be mechanical related. But I've been wrong before.

Check those exhausts real good. check the torque on all the header bolts and it wouldnt hurt to make sure you dont have any loose passenger side ignition wire on your distributer cap or bad connections on the plugs themselves. That an easy enough check.
70charginglizard

68r/t

If you think that it may be an exhaust leak, you can get about 3ft of garden hose hold on end at your ear and move the other end around the manifolds, you will soon pick up the noise.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: miller on June 29, 2010, 07:18:09 PM
Quote from: 70charginglizard on June 29, 2010, 07:10:53 PM

The engine currently has Brad Penn Break In Oil, it says it has "enhanced levels of zinc", it was recommended by the machinist who set up the build. But no, I have no other additives in the oil at this time.

That's good stuff.

451-74Charger

I have the "Hemi Tick" on my 5.7 Jeep.
They say its because the pushrods are slightly undersize.
When you rebuilt, did you reuse the pushrods or get new?

ChgrSteve67

I had the same problem with my motor before going to Mopars at the Strip in Vegas back in March.

I though it was the no ZDDP additive problem and replaced all of my lifters on the passenger side of the motor with no avail.

Turns out I had a exhaust leak due to a few missing nuts on the exhaust manifold.
A quick and easy fix.

I wish I would have started with that first.

451-74Charger

Dont you hate it thats its always the last thing you try..
Had you tried that first, it still would have been the last.
:smilielol:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: FLG on June 29, 2010, 05:57:40 PM
John wouldt he also see pref issues?

Never doubt you, just asking so i can store it in my head for future reference.  :D

Fuel pump knocking/tapping is caused by a loose lever pin and doesn't effect pressure.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

chargergirl

Quote from: 451-74Charger on June 30, 2010, 10:46:19 AM
Dont you hate it thats its always the last thing you try..
Had you tried that first, it still would have been the last.
:smilielol:
Thanks! I always laugh when I hear the expression it will be in the last place I look...all I could ever think was..."Well...YEAH"!
Trust your Woobie!

70charginglizard

Quote from: miller on June 29, 2010, 02:43:29 PM
There has always been a small tick from the passenger side of the motor, but the engine has always run very strong, frequency of tick increases with engine speed, but when you take your foot off the throttle it does not return until the motor is close to ideal speed. Would this be an exhaust leak or could there possibly be something wrong inside the motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJfCXVCpc-o

Here's what mine sounds like. Very similar but I'm absolutely sure it aint no exhaust leak and that it's coming from no. 6 inside somewhere-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1hKzZ9IxE
70charginglizard