News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'Electronic' voltage regulator?

Started by Double Dutch, December 18, 2005, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Dutch

Some months ago, when I pushed the pedal to the metal of my 71 SE Charger 383 Magnum, my lights and dashlighting started looking like a Christmas tree on 350 Volt. I decided to renew the biggest part of the electric system....it was time anyway. I installed a new regulator, spark plugs plus wires, voltage regulator, battery, distributer cap, rotor, contacts and some worn out wires. It seemed that did the trick.

A week ago, I drove home at night...funny smell and again the lights went brighter. Concealed headlight were blinking like eyes under a shower.... WTF now?!
I found some fried wiring under the dash: I renewed the red thick wires that connect the ignition and the Amp meter and I renewed the black wire that crosses the red, which I think has some function in the lighting system. This black wire is getting warmer when I start the car and gets hot when I push the pedal but only when I switch the lights on! I figured the problem is my Voltage regulator...   ??? (I measured 14 to 18 Volts at the regulator)

I bought a new one oversea which is an 'electronic' one... Can I install this with no problem or is this electronic one a different one that will not do in my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4595141592&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Chryco Psycho

the Mopar one shoul ddo a better job , , you may have an intermittent short loading the alt though

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 18, 2005, 11:43:37 PM
the Mopar one should do a better job

:iagree: I'm not a big fan of aftermarket electrical parts.  Get the Mopar regulator.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.