News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Porting SB mopar heads

Started by chargd72, July 12, 2010, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I previously posted a thread on how to gasket match 318 intake runners to a 360 manifold and now I finally got around to doing the exhaust ports and thought I would, once again, share for those who are first timers looking to tackle on their own.  My subject is a set of 302 cast swirl port heads and I used a dremel and grinding stone (stay away from carbide bits) and polished off with some 120 grit sand bits.  

Basically, there are some areas to hog out and some to aviod.  You can really open up the runners by aggresively going at the side walls.  Simply use a new header/manifold gasket to plan your markings.  You can take a bit off the upper wall but AVOID taking any metal at all from the bottom of the opening (even though the header/manifold opening will go below this edge) due to retrograde flow.  About 1 inch in on the upper wall, there's a bump.  You can shave it down a bit but not too much or you will hit the water jacket.  Also avoid taking too much off from deep within the bottom of the runner by the valve seat.  Once again, you could hit a water jacket.  

You can see a big differnce in volume and obstruction with the ported and not ported runners...

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger