News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP!!! 95 Dodge Dakota Trans. problems

Started by voyageur1688, August 02, 2010, 09:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voyageur1688

I know it aint much but I like this truck and its economical with the 318 in it, and I cant afford to just get another truck, but need a truck since I do rendezvous and have lots of gear to haul. (Dakotas 22 mpg beats my 97 Ford F150 4x4)I have a 95 Dakota that was doing fine then all of a sudden stopped shifting. Trans locks in gear tight but just wont shift into any higher gears. Cant drive it with 1st gear only. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Is there an easy fix for it or should I scrap the idea of fixing it?
Thanks for any help.
Voy

RD

so are you saying it will only go in 1st gear.. what about reverse?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

You need to hook a gauge to the governor pressure test port on the drivers side of the case just in front of the OD housing, with the shifter in Drive you should have about 10 psi of governor pressure for every 10 mph of road speed.

If the pressure is low/no the governor is the problem, if the pressure is OK the valve body is the most likely cause.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TruckDriver

;) http://www.dakota-durango.com/

They cover all year Dakota's. It's a good forum. I'm a member there too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

voyageur1688

Reverse works great. In fact the entire truck did until it just quit shifting. Worked great 1 day and not the next. Will check out the governor pressure and the Dakota forum as well, when I get my computer up and running again--had a storm and now it aint working--mouse dont move the arrow so thinkin it fried. Thanks for the help.
Voy

voyageur1688

Havent tested it yet but If the pressure isnt at 10 psi per 10 mph, what is the problem with it need to be rebuilt or an easier fix?
Thanks.
Voy

John_Kunkel

The governor is inside the OD unit at the tail of the transmission; there are a number of things that can cause a governor to fail but the OD unit can be removed without removing the entire transmission.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

voyageur1688

Heading out of town for the weekend but will try to check it out when I get back. Thanks for the help.
Voy

A383Wing