News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shocks???? Air, coil over, or gas

Started by 79JON, December 20, 2005, 03:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

I need some help.     I believe i need new shocks in the rear and im just wondering which shocks yall have had success with.  I went to the parts store and they can get me some coil overs for 60 bucks,   some regular gas shocks for 20 bucks, and i cant rememeber how much for the air shocks.   I want my car raised just alittle in the rear but i cant afford new leaf springs.     

parkerswede

Anyone ever use Koni shocks? They are pricey but they have a good reputation.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

4402tuff4u

I have never tried Koni or been in a car with them, however I 've heard that they are not kidney friendly. :rotz:

I went the simple, less expensive way, the Monroe way. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on May 04, 2006, 01:26:47 PM
I have never tried Koni or been in a car with them, however I 've heard that they are not kidney friendly. :rotz:

I went the simple, less expensive way, the Monroe way. :yesnod:

Me too!

Monore Gas Matics painted black.

Mike DC

Raising the rear end with the shock mountings has never been a great idea in the first place, whether it's coilovers or air shocks or anything else for that matter. 

I say buy whatever shocks you really want for handling, and raise the rear end with some bolt-on helper springs for the time being. 
(Yeah, I know using helper springs on the rear leaves looks kinda ghetto.  But they're pretty cheap to buy, and in the long run it's probably better for the car this way until you can get the real new leaf springs on it.)

Steve P.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 06, 2006, 09:46:51 AM

Raising the rear end with the shock mountings has never been a great idea in the first place, whether it's coilovers or air shocks or anything else for that matter. 

:iagree:  I was reading, ( on another board ), about buying quality leaf springs from J.C. Whitney. I think it was on the BigBlockDart site. At any rate, many that bought them said they saved a bunch, received them quick and loved them...  May be the better answer for you..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Paul G

I had coil overs on a 73 Sat years ago. One day the lower shock mount broke right off. They were not intended to support any weight. My Charger has air shocks on it now. I don't put more than 20 or 30 PSI in them. Besides, air shocks really screw up handling if that is a concern to you. I agree with using helper springs or extended shackles for the short term till you get new springs.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

GTX

Heh heh, this thread sort of reminds me of how my Charger looked when first I got it.

Not only did it have the requisite long ass extended shackles but it also had coil overs AND........
someone had welded lower shock perches to the top, yes, the top of the axle housing so that they could get several more inches of ass end in the air lift.  I guess they felt that the '68 Dodge Charger tail lights were so neat looking that they wanted to make sure that theirs were at eye leve so everyone could see them.   
I know that's not what you guys are discussing....or I hope it isn't but it still reminds me of my car in it's earlier days.  ;)

Chryco Psycho

air shocks & coil overs will kill the handling & traction of a Mopar , fix the springs if you want the car to sit higher

clausoe

If the air shocks are pumped way up and the leaf springs then become relatively slack, could this cause tha rear axel to vibrate when accelerating hard and on kickdown?

XXSpiralXX

I never had any problems with KYB's.  The whites are the stiffest. I had Greys on my Ventura, upgrading to whites on it when the new motor goes in, and putting em on the charger too.