News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine running hot after engine swap

Started by 1968_Charger, August 08, 2010, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

i recently swapped to a 383 from a 360. the 383 seems to be running hot and i figure its either the thermostat or an air pocket. the engine gets hot after a few minutes at idle (around 220 and would keep going if i didn't shut it off), but feeling the radiator and the water in the radiator, its barely warm, like its not cycling through. could this be the thermostat? or if it is an air pocket could i remove the thermostat to let water flow through for a few minutes and hopefully get all the air out? then just put in a new thermostat?

thanks

six-tee-nine

For testing or to bring you home removal of the thermostat is not a problem. Howerver, to have an optimal cooling function you should run a thermostat.
If you remove it and let your engine run a few minutes you should notice the difference if everything else is ok.
Both tubes from and to the rad should warm up almost equally. My guess is that from a coldstart without thermostat it should take more than 10 minutes for the engine to reach its normal values.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1968_Charger

well i swapped out the old thermo which was a 195 degree for a 160 degree one. seems to have fixed the problem.