News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 69 Project (General Lee)

Started by Bobby41909, August 11, 2010, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby41909

Well I finally got my dream car.  Found her (thanks to Ebay) just outside of Chicago.  The owner just bought her a few weeks prior but lost his job like so many others and needed to change his course.  He bought the car out of Colorado and the previous owner was restoring her for a few year.  He was obviously an amateur based on some of the workmanship. 

A few of my buddies (one who owns a restoration shop) took the grueling drive from Tampa Florida to just outside Chicago and back in 3 day (yes I know we're crazy).  She is nice and solid with a few small repairs and no rust. 

She has now been dismantled and professional fixed/prepped for a Big Bad Orange paint job.  Once painted the reassembly should go fairly quick so I thought I'd start the post now. 

The engine which was a 440 is now a 512 thanks to 440 Source and she'll probably be one of the nicest Generals around with just about new everything and a custom Vintage Air System (a must in sunny Florida).

Enjoy!
Here she is on the trailer on her way home to Florida

Bobby41909

Here she is sitting at my buddies shop on her first day in FLA

Bobby41909

Here she is being taken apart

Brand new vinyl roof had to go

69bronzeT5

Looking good!!! :cheers: I hope you know those aren't the correct wheels for a General Lee ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Bobby41909

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 11, 2010, 10:24:23 PM
Looking good!!! :cheers: I hope you know those aren't the correct wheels for a General Lee ;)

Sure do I bought a set of correct vectors that have been polished.  If I can find a picture I'll post it

Bobby41909

Here she is at the body shop getting ready for paint

Bobby41909

Here's a picture of the restored Vectors polished

I am putting 7's on the front and 8.5's on the back

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Bobby41909 on August 11, 2010, 10:42:01 PM

Here's a picture of the restored Vectors polished

I am putting 7's on the front and 8.5's on the back

VERY nice!!! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Bobby41909

Here she is with the back half in primer

Bobby41909

I am not leaving all of the fun up to the pro's.  I've been busy in my garage restoring a few of the small items...heres the tail lights

Bobby41909

Here's a few of the gauge cluster.

and one of the console (still in process)

Bobby41909

I should have the grill put together soon.  It came out great!  In an effort to make the perfect grill I did three of them (two are for sale...check out the ebay section).  Once I get rid of one of them I'll have room to put mine together and add the new trim.....can't wait... :2thumbs:

JT01

Looking good what did you use on your taillights

tan top

looks to have been a real straight looking 69 to start with  :coolgleamA:  looking good  :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bobby41909

Quote from: JT01 on August 12, 2010, 03:41:15 AM
Looking good what did you use on your taillights

After washing them in the slop sink with a brush to get all the dirt, bugs and grime off.  It was some Meguiar's polishing compund, several beers, and a few hours of rubbing.  I topped it off with Plexus plastic cleaner, polish and protectant.  The plexus worked great on the inside where you really can't rub due to the grain. 

WHITE AND RED 69

Thats gonna be one sweet general.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

lexxman

That is looking great.Are the tops of the taillights painted black?I was looking at mine and it looks like they might have been some black.
You did a amazing job on the dash. :2thumbs:

Memphis Mopar

Bobby the car seems to be coming along great. So I take it that your buddy's shop is in Tampa? If so what services does he offer. I am looking for a shop to do some work for me. I am located in Bradenton.

Bobby41909

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on August 15, 2010, 09:25:04 PM
Bobby the car seems to be coming along great. So I take it that your buddy's shop is in Tampa? If so what services does he offer. I am looking for a shop to do some work for me. I am located in Bradenton.

Sent you a PM

Bobby41909

Quote from: lexxman on August 15, 2010, 07:05:21 PM
That is looking great.Are the tops of the taillights painted black?I was looking at mine and it looks like they might have been some black.
You did a amazing job on the dash. :2thumbs:

Thanks...not sure if they are painted but they are black.  Is that not how they were originally?

Mikesmoparperformance

Very nice car!! good find!! you can make it a Ghost Lee is already white :2thumbs:
Good job so far on the body taillight and dashboard!! Nice wheels to!

Color would be flame red? or Hemi Orangje

Look luck with the restoration yeehaaaaaaaaaw!!!.

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Bobby41909

Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on August 18, 2010, 04:12:16 AM
Very nice car!! good find!! you can make it a Ghost Lee is already white :2thumbs:
Good job so far on the body taillight and dashboard!! Nice wheels to!

Color would be flame red? or Hemi Orangje

Look luck with the restoration yeehaaaaaaaaaw!!!.

Thanks...the color is Big Bad Orange from the Movie.  I sprayed BBO and Hemi and liked the BBO as its a little brighter with less brown/red. 

Bobby41909

Stopped by the paint shop yesterday.  fenders and underside of hood have been painted.  Body having final prep for color.  Body gets color Monday!  all should be cleared by the end of next week! 

JT01

Looking GOOD all your pics remind me of my pics over the last year I took of mine in the body shop.