News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FIBERGLASS GEL-COAT COLOR

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, December 21, 2005, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

CAN you paint fiberglass that black gel- coat color????-MATT (if so whats the paint code 4 it)

Troy

Gel coat is built in to the fiberglass but you can certainly paint it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

THE CHARGER PUNK

is there a specific paint that you can paint fiberglass to replicate that gel-coat finish?-MATT

Blown70

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on December 21, 2005, 10:40:37 PM
is there a specific paint that you can paint fiberglass to replicate that gel-coat finish?-MATT

Matt, gell coat I am sure you are aware is on the outside surface,  IT actually can come it CLEAR, WHITE(gray), Black.  I have not seen black in some time.  You would scuff the GEL COAT and paint as you wish.  If you want a supply place let me know.

How you make a part is to have the mold, using mold release(basically wax) then gel coat then your fiberglass then resin.....

If you see the fiberglass hoods that is what it would look like without gel--coat the bottom or motor side.

THE CHARGER PUNK

i know i just want that finish on fiberglass

Blown70

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on December 21, 2005, 11:02:26 PM
i know i just want that finish on fiberglass

Well if you do not do it right off making the part I think you have to sand off the glass fibers and use a filler of some kind to smooth it.  This is my understanding,  I have never tried to GEL coat something after the fact.

Tom

Drop Top

If your talking about a very smooth finish. Then paint it in a base/ clear system and then, color sand and buff. This will give it a very smooth finish and if the blocking was done correctly it will be flat and smooth. I painted a Cobra kit car and finished it the way I described. People though it was a gel-coat. Buy the way it was a fiberglass kit car. What kind of fiberglass part are you painting? Is it a race car part? Or a part made for street use? This will determen wheather or not it will be possable to finish it to a flat finish or just a smooth and wavy finish.

Rolling_Thunder

r u talking about the stock hood color ?   If so the word is Organisol....    if thats what ur talking about i have the recipie for it somewhere
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 23, 2005, 01:36:53 PM
r u talking about the stock hood color ?   If so the word is Organisol....    if thats what ur talking about i have the recipie for it somewhere
No, in the other threads he posted a pic of a Hemi Dart and he's referring to the color of the unpainted fiberglass (which was gelcoated from the factory).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

oooooooh...  just paint it black - wheres the problem ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlockSam

loews sells a nice stan black in spray cans, cheap  ;D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img