News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEISLER

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 08, 2010, 09:40:08 AM
i guess i just feel like ranting, but here we have 2 huge people in the muscle car world comming here to try to share a rebuild of a car that is so far gone no-one would want to touch it.its a charger that is being saved. its done in front of the world. most people would love to have the chance to speak with the two responsible for bringing this car back to life and see what they had to do "with an inside scoop of the whole thing". but all we can do is try to find something illegal about the transformation. we hashed this out early in this thread, and mabey we could get down to finding out all the facts about this car, but it seems all that keeps going on is,"did someone do something wrong?" well, heres the facts, galen never said this is definately the missing car in any episode ive seen. he said IF. second the car was so far gone that anyone else in the world would either scrap it, or have to change everything on the car also. but wouldnt let the world see it so you wouldnt know what is real and not. these guys save a charger and all we have to say is "where is the door and trunk lid?" try to enjoy the car as a charger saved from sure death. yep, its a rolling billboard. so what? its alive and i like it. good job guys, there are alot of people that are loving seeing a car saved even if its at an expence that most of us could never afford. i thank you for doing it. :2thumbs:
:2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs: 6 thumbs up on a great post ... thank you !

Dan - thank you for being so involved in the forums! With all you have on your plate it is quite impressive to see you writing so much here.  I think you understand why I am a Mopar guy - this is a passionate and knowledgeable group of folks that really take to the details of their cars.

We'd like to field some questions ... a question was asked about if XP HEMI is running.  As of SEMA Nov 1 it was not.  There was some wiring and mechanicals left - a couple weeks of assembly and dial in.  Barton dyno'd the engine and they said it made over 600HP.  The Currie Dana60 diff is a 3.73 with Detroit True-Trac.  Our 5-speed transmission is a new close ratio design, fully synchromesh, which fits with NO CUTTING - only a very small hole for the shifter - you'll like this.  The car has a set of BFG drag slicks.  It should boogie!  David Barton will drive the car at PINKS, and he is a stellar driver.

We are keeping the original take off parts that are potentially reusable or noteworthy such as the door, rear clip, filler cap, handle, lots of other little pieces, etc.

We'll contact the other sponsors to answer your q's if/when Dan or I don't have the answer.

doctor4766

Beautiful, be sure to post plenty of video when the time comes so we can see just how well she goes!!
Gotta love a '69

MoparManJim

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 08, 2010, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on November 08, 2010, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on November 08, 2010, 01:06:12 PM
Hey MoparJim, I tried to reply to your PM but, you have them blocked... Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers!

Hi Dan, that's strange, I only have one person blocked and is sure isn't you though, the screen name starts with a N. I know recently I sent JB666 a pm also and he didn't get it either and now you say I had you block. Something is sure going hay wire around this place I think. Thanks for the heads up on it and I went in to check and only one name was in the blocked area and it started with a "n". Thanks again for the heads up on the issue.  :cheers:   
i just sent you a pm jim, let me know if ya got it

Just a real fast note here, as I don't want to hi-jack this thread.

Jim, I got your pm and also return one to you as well man.. thank you  :cheers: 

I also gotten an email from another board member alittle while ago that they I guess also tried to pm me and they had the same issue Dan had today.. there screen name isn't block on my side either so I have no idea what is going on. I know I have heard how screwy the pm'ing area on here is for some folks and how things likes to disappear just like that. But now it's blocking people from people to it sounds and looks like. 

nvrbdn

dan, when you guys were doing all the panels they seemed to go pretty easy, including the welding. is there something that went on behind the scenes that wasnt easy about them that we didnt get to see? also when the roof was lined up to the quarters on the pass side it was a little off. by cutting that down did it change any measurements in the rear window or quarter panel height or the height of the roof?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 09, 2010, 08:20:07 AM
dan, when you guys were doing all the panels they seemed to go pretty easy, including the welding. is there something that went on behind the scenes that wasnt easy about them that we didnt get to see? also when the roof was lined up to the quarters on the pass side it was a little off. by cutting that down did it change any measurements in the rear window or quarter panel height or the height of the roof?
sorry for the mini hijack !!
that join was crap from the factory  ,  or at least  mine was !!!    mine had all original sheet metal & never been previously been touched , before i done the resto ! dug all the factory fiber/putty type bondo out  &  that joint looked like a BK special   :o
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ccr-host

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 09, 2010, 08:20:07 AM

There is always some work that will need to be performed to the metal on any hand built car. Craig and his team worked for 6 weeks on the car and we were there for three of them. So, we pretty much saw all the work and mods that needed to be done during his phase. In all, there were just five area's that needed some massaging. This car had been hit on the front left years ago, which is why there is no fender tag and that may be the cause of more issues than the fit and quality of the AMD parts.

•   The roof needed to be trimmed at the right B pillar, as you saw on the show, by a fraction of an inch.
•   The A pillars (they're original) both sat a little high and that created a dip where they meet the tabs coming down from the new roof panel.
•   The panel between the trunk lid and the glass is flat and it needs to angle upward slightly in the corners where they meet the chrome trim. They may have been stamped to do that and we missed that they had flattened, or it may be the way they are made. Either way, if you curve them a little before installation using your chrome wndow trim as a guide, you will save yourself some time filling in that gap later on... we didn't save ourselves the time.  ::)
•   The door to fender to A pillar gap required some work to make it perfect (you'll see that in an upcoming episode).
•   Front lower valance (the turn signal housing) didn't line up perfectly. We needed to widen the holes on the inside of the lower front fenders and on the valance to make it fit. It's not a perfect job but, we intend to work on it a little more now that it's back from SEMA.

There are still some very minor alignment things to take care of such as; raising the rear bumper by a quarter inch. Aligning the rear fender extensions, etc... All pretty small stuff that we didn't have time to address before SEMA.  Over all though, I'd say the fit of the panels was extremely good. Most of AMD's stamping is just three years old or less, where some Camaro and Mustang parts are being stamped on dyes that are now 10 to 15 years old and mixed with parts which have been recently created. Most parts are compared for fit to OE parts, not aftermarket to aftermarket so, to get so few alignment problems is exceptional.

nvrbdn

whats going on with the pallet of used parts that was being gone through? anything left? i know i (and lots of others) wouldnt mind having a small momento of this great occasion!! a small piece of the xp hemi framed with a poster shot and an after shot with a few shots of the car being dismantled would be awsome. :2thumbs: so if there is any rust left and bagged up, are we gona sell it????  mabey cut the roof up, or the quarter panels up? just a thought, but it would make a great conversation piece in the car room.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PocketThunder

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 10, 2010, 08:28:41 AM
whats going on with the pallet of used parts that was being gone through? anything left? i know i (and lots of others) wouldnt mind having a small momento of this great occasion!! a small piece of the xp hemi framed with a poster shot and an after shot with a few shots of the car being dismantled would be awsome. :2thumbs: so if there is any rust left and bagged up, are we gona sell it????  mabey cut the roof up, or the quarter panels up? just a thought, but it would make a great conversation piece in the car room.  :2thumbs:

I'll take a picture of Dan next to the XP car giving us the thumbs up just like the Fonz would do!   :2thumbs:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ccr-host

I'll stop the clean up right away! You guys know it's just trash right?? I mean, it's not like a lock of Elvis' hair or anything!

If you'd like a momento of the show, we will be reducing the price on our Chop Cut Rebuild license plates next week. Let me know if you're a member here and I'll sign them for anyone who requests it. Just add the word "Autographed" in the comments when you purchase. There's a limited number available, so don't "red-light" on this one!

MoparManJim

Quote from: ccr-host on November 10, 2010, 01:33:41 PM

I'll stop the clean up right away! You guys know it's just trash right?? I mean, it's not like a lock of Elvis' hair or anything!

If you'd like a momento of the show, we will be reducing the price on our Chop Cut Rebuild license plates next week. Let me know if you're a member here and I'll sign them for anyone who requests it. Just add the word "Autographed" in the comments when you purchase. There's a limited number available, so don't "red-light" on this one!

They don't want a plate, they want a piece of the car.  :lol: 

nvrbdn

yep, ive got a piece of ryan newmans alltel dodge and ist not near what this car may be, so i think a piece of the car with pic's of before and after in a frame would be pretty cool. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

NGC414

whats going on with the pallet of used parts that was being gone through? anything left? i know i (and lots of others) wouldnt mind having a small momento of this great occasion!! a small piece of the xp hemi framed with a poster shot and an after shot with a few shots of the car being dismantled would be awsome. :2thumbs: so if there is any rust left and bagged up, are we gona sell it????  mabey cut the roof up, or the quarter panels up? just a thought, but it would make a great conversation piece in the car room.  :2thumbs:

Will you autograph it, include a lock of your hair and sprinkle some of the cars rust on the plate?

ccr-host

Quote from: NGC414 on November 10, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
whats going on with the pallet of used parts that was being gone through? anything left? i know i (and lots of others) wouldnt mind having a small momento of this great occasion!! a small piece of the xp hemi framed with a poster shot and an after shot with a few shots of the car being dismantled would be awsome. :2thumbs: so if there is any rust left and bagged up, are we gona sell it????  mabey cut the roof up, or the quarter panels up? just a thought, but it would make a great conversation piece in the car room.  :2thumbs:

Will you autograph it, include a lock of your hair and sprinkle some of the cars rust on the plate?

I'll be at Hot Rods today tuning he car for PINKS and I'll see what's still kicking aoround the shop. I'll sign it and send it off. But, you should never ask a guy at my age to give up any of his hair!

KEISLER

Dan,

I put all of the scrap parts in a big box - mostly original interior stuff, but some other stuff too.  Everything else is for the car's keepsake - restorable originals, etc.  Then there are parts to return to me, labeled return to Keisler.

I like the idea of putting pieces of the car in a jar, for souvenoirs!  What a great idea - too bad we didn't think about it when we were at Craig's.

Shafi

Khyron

i want one too :-) I'll take a piece of that car ;)

us mopar people are wierd aren't we ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: KEISLER on November 10, 2010, 07:30:15 PM
Dan,

I put all of the scrap parts in a big box - mostly original interior stuff, but some other stuff too.  Everything else is for the car's keepsake - restorable originals, etc.  Then there are parts to return to me, labeled return to Keisler.

I like the idea of putting pieces of the car in a jar, for souvenoirs!  What a great idea - too bad we didn't think about it when we were at Craig's.

Shafi

Shafi... I got some rusted T5 parts if you wanna fake it.  Make ya a great deal  :cheers:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ccr-host

Folks,

Most of the stuff left over here in California are mechanicals and interior parts, door handles, cranks, original steering column, wheel, etc... Old sheet metal; which would be the best thing to frame, stayed behind at Craig Hopkins shop in Georgia. I'll send him an email to see if he has kept any of it. If so, we can probably work something out. He'll need to send it to me so I can sign it before shipping it out to those interested. We do have the original lower valance, if Shafi doesn't want it back, we could cut it up for you all.

Cheers,
Dan

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: ccr-host on November 11, 2010, 12:56:54 PM
Folks,

Most of the stuff left over here in California are mechanicals and interior parts, door handles, cranks, original steering column, wheel, etc... Old sheet metal; which would be the best thing to frame, stayed behind at Craig Hopkins shop in Georgia. I'll send him an email to see if he has kept any of it. If so, we can probably work something out. He'll need to send it to me so I can sign it before shipping it out to those interested. We do have the original lower valance, if Shafi doesn't want it back, we could cut it up for you all.

Cheers,
Dan

cut that sucker up... :o

it would be fun  ;D

KEISLER

Dan & the Chop Cut Rebuild Gang,

Episode 5 was another excellent show.  I'm recording all of them along with other shows on SPEED, SPIKE.  You are TOPS man!

Shafi

bill440rt

Just caught the RMS suspension install episode tonite. Can't wait until the body & paint episodes start airing.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

doctor4766

Hey Dan, are these episodes gonna be available to those of us who aren't blessed with cable/Foxtel on DVD?
Gotta love a '69

DC_1

Quote from: ccr-host on October 23, 2010, 09:52:46 PM
Sorry folks, the show is not available on the internet. CCR is sold to other broadcasters around the world such as FOX Sports Australia, Discovery UK, and many others. Putting full episodes on the net before those broadcasters have a chance to air them would harm the potential audience size in those markets. To their credit, SPEED gives viewers ample opportunities to see the shows in reruns throughout the week. They are also playing the previous weeks episodes as a lead-in for the next while, so you now have a full hour of CCR on Saturday's. We also make DVD's of the series available one year after SPEED has premiered the shows. You can purchase them on our site. People here may find our 5th season interesting, in it we document the build of the Goodmark Cuda throughout the season. We also add some extra "behind the scenes" features and a follow along commentary on the final episode.

Thanks for watching! Glad you are all enjoying the show. Feel free to post any questions you have here or on the SPEED site.

Best regards,
Dan Woods

He already covered that question

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69